PDA

View Full Version : whats best way to seperate muffler from pipe?

Rudnik
10-16-2006, 10:06 PM
the PO of my truck put a 3" single summit exhaust on, and i have a new ultraflow i want to put on instead of the summit muffler, but last week when i tried to get the old muffler off the pipe it was a no go.. its just clamped on so i don't have to worry about welds, but last time i tried using a block of wood and a hammer and only got it to move about an inch on the one side, which wasn't nearly enough..

so what do you guys normally do when you just want to swap out a muffler and save the exhaust pipe? is there an easy way to get this thing off that i'm just not seeing?

TigerEyz3
10-17-2006, 11:27 AM
I would cut it with a pipe cutter (they make them especially for larger diameter pipes -- looks like a cross between an oil wrench and a cutter chain).

oinkr2
10-31-2006, 10:57 AM
If you are using a tail pipe and cut both ends of the muffler with a pipe cutter, you may have to get a longer muffler to account for what you cut off.

If you just want to remove the muffler, I like to use a reciprocating saw to cut through the flange area of the muffler, but only through that layer. I then use a chisel to peel the flange that you cut away from the pipe and slide it off. A hack saw or a grinder would also work but you have to be careful not to go into the 2nd layer of pipe.

Texas Twitch
10-31-2006, 02:54 PM
if you dont have access to a sawzall (which would be the easiest way), use a propane torch to heat up the pipe and knock it again with teh hammer and wood block. use MAPP gas or acetylene if you can get to it.