PDA

View Full Version : No Dash Lights!!!

cburnscrx
12-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Well Boys and Girls, I have a problem with my 92 Chevy W/T with the 4.3 V6. As it sits right now, my dash lights won’t light up when I turn the headlights on. The HVAC lights work when the headlight are off, but when you turn them on, the HVAC lights go out. All my other lights work, headlights, taillights, turn signals, ect. The only thing that doesn’t work is the dash lights when the headlights/parking lights are turned on. Any suggestion? :confused:

AuburnTruck93
12-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Is your bulb burned out? or blown fuse?

oldred95
12-27-2007, 08:22 PM
If you drove with your dash lights fairly dim that puts a lot of stress on the dash light dimmer resistor because it has to absorb more current to make the dash lights dimmer. They do burn up pretty regularly if you have your lights really dim and spend a lot of time driving at night. Might be worth pulling up a schematic for the switch and check for power coming out of it going to the dash lights.

Red94Chev
12-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Check your dimmer switch. Make sure it is working properly since it is in the circuit with your dashlights when your head lights are on.

cburnscrx
12-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys, I tried a different dimmer switch out of a junkyard, and still no interior lights. Is there something that I should be looking for to check? The bulbs worked one day, and the next day they didn't so I am going to bet against the bulbs being burnt out, but I'll check.

I checked the fuses, but it's my understanding (I could be wrong) that the headlights would be affected as well. Is there a specific fuse for the dash lights?

89stepside25
12-28-2007, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't rule out the dash lights bein burnt out quite yet. I had the same issue with mine.... all went out at once. looked for little knicks in the wiring, bad connections, bad ground, evertything. thought I would give up but I decided to change out the 5 bulbs lightin up the gauges for the hell of it..... turns out they were all burnt out at the same time? dono how that works but lights work now.

cburnscrx
01-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I am sure I am going to check the actual bulbs, but any explanation for the climate control going dark when I turn the headlights on? The climate control still works, but the lights go out. I did replace the climate control and the same thing happened with the junkyard version. Again any suggestions are appreciated!

AuburnTruck93
01-04-2008, 07:08 AM
well that sounds like the dimmer. but u said u changed it. does your voltage drop on the meter when you turn your headlights on? i mean more than normal. could be you just dont have the juice.

cburnscrx
01-10-2008, 02:27 AM
There is absolutely no voltage drop when I turn on the headlights. This is really perplexing. I guess what's also amazing is that the HVAC control display lights up UNTIL I turn on the headlights. Weird

I still think it's the dimmer and I might try a 3rd one since the replacement was out of a junkyard.

cburnscrx
01-10-2008, 02:28 AM
I wouldn't rule out the dash lights bein burnt out quite yet. I had the same issue with mine.... all went out at once. looked for little knicks in the wiring, bad connections, bad ground, evertything. thought I would give up but I decided to change out the 5 bulbs lightin up the gauges for the hell of it..... turns out they were all burnt out at the same time? dono how that works but lights work now.

I haven't pulled the gauges to check the bulbs yet, but did your HVAC lights go out when you turned your headlights on?

ss92chevy
01-10-2008, 06:52 PM
The gauge cluster basically is the plug. I mean the plug is complete with the cluster. Contacts on the cluster and the dash get weak. take your cluster out and check those points. Before you do that try gently hitting the top of your dash and see if they come on. If they do take the whole cluster out and bend each one of those contacts up alittle. when you take it apart you'll see what i mean.

cburnscrx
01-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Well, there’s a new development. I searched and searched on here for some more possible solutions, and might have found my problem. Yes, I did switch out the dimmer however; I am not sure what year the truck I got the dimmer out of was. Apparently there is a difference between the 88-91 dimmers and the 92-94 dimmers. IF this is true (can anybody cross reference) then I might have found my problem.

Then my next problem is finding a dimmer for a 92-94. That should be fun...Um, no.

cburnscrx
01-11-2008, 09:23 PM
The gauge cluster basically is the plug. I mean the plug is complete with the cluster. Contacts on the cluster and the dash get weak. take your cluster out and check those points. Before you do that try gently hitting the top of your dash and see if they come on. If they do take the whole cluster out and bend each one of those contacts up alittle. when you take it apart you'll see what i mean.

I'll try that, but why would the HVAC lights go dark?:dunno:

rainman318
01-11-2008, 09:36 PM
I checked the fuses, but it's my understanding (I could be wrong) that the headlights would be affected as well.

no

Is there a specific fuse for the dash lights?
Yes

I'll try that, but why would the HVAC lights go dark?

It is perfectly normal that is the way it works. When you get your dash lights working it will go back to normal. When you turn on your lights it changes circuits to the dimmer from full power and since you dash lights don't work it just goes dark.

cburnscrx
03-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Okay, I have now taken apart the dash, and replaced the 194 bulbs. However I still have no dash lights and my climate control still goes dark when I turn on the headlights. Also, the dimmer switch DOES work, at least to turn on the dome light!

cburnscrx
03-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Next question...I seem to remember reading on here that the dimmer switch differs between years. Would this be correct? I have a 92, so what years can I get and have it work.

Secondly, is there a relay or something I am missing here? I've looked at the wiring diagram (what I could understand) and it appears that the only possible issue is the dimmer.

I have tried a dimmer out of a different year and it had absolutely no effect on my dash lights.

blackz71silvy
03-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Im having the same EXACT issue with my 99. My dome light goes on and off with the dimmer, but i have no cluster lights, or hvac lights, and i do not have a radio in at the moment as im trying to fix it. I have only the dimmer backlights and power door locks lights. No 4x4 lights other then t he orange indicator nothings on when the headlights are on. Also no dim control. I replaced the fuse as it was blown from the radio, and had no lights, and last night the lights came back on, but when i tried to see if the radio still had a short it must have screwed something back up,as they arent working again. Should i s ee if my dimmer switch is bad?

cburnscrx
03-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Well, I am about to embark on the "replace it until it works" method of car repair. I am ordering a dimmer from LMC truck in the morning. Hopefully that works, then if not...the headlight switch....then the HVAC unit...then the guages...well, I think you get the idea.

One way or another the truck WILL have dash lights again!!!

cburnscrx
03-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Well, I am about to embark on the "replace it until it works" method of car repair. I am ordering a dimmer from LMC truck in the morning. Hopefully that works, then if not...the headlight switch....then the HVAC unit...then the guages...well, I think you get the idea.

One way or another the truck WILL have dash lights again!!!

Well, it is certainly NOT the dimmer switch! I bought a brand NEW dimmer and still no dash lights.

I think the next item to replace is the HVAC control unit and see what happens.

mwenta
03-26-2008, 07:47 PM
I am having a similar issue. My problem is just concerning the lights on my radio. When the running lights/headlights come on all of the illumination in my stereo goes out (the lcd readout and all backlights) but the rest of the interior lights work. The radio still works though - plays the radio or CDs. I have a 2001 Tahoe. The problem started for me when I decided to attempt to change some burnt out bulbs in the stereo. I removed the dash bezel and the heat/ac conroller directly below the radio. I then removed the front faceplate on the radio and saw that the process was going to be much more involved so I replaced the faceplate. The next time I drove it I noticed that the radio went dark when the lights come on. I have a hard time believing it is the dimmer switch as it works as it always has for the rest of the interior lights. I also have a hard time believing it is more burnt out bulbs because the lcd also goes dark. If anyone has any idea, please share them with me. Thanks.

cburnscrx
03-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Well, it's good to know this isn't an isolated problem, but a solution would be good. I have been fighting this battle for a long time and hopefully a solution can be found! There has to be something we don't know about causing these issues.

mwenta
04-03-2008, 06:10 PM
I got tired of not having a display in my radio at night so I took it to a repair shop. They told me they can fix it for $90 and that will also include replacing the bulbs. I'll see what the tech tells me in a couple of days and I'll try to post it back here. My problem is definitely with the radio though, it's not anything with the truck wiring or interior dimmer switches. When I took the radio in, they hooked it up and had the same issues I had - when the headlights are turned on, all of the display goes dark.

mwenta
04-10-2008, 10:11 AM
I took my radio to Specmo in Flint, MI and they fixed it up right for me for $90. The problem was the dimmer wire connecting the radio face with the rest of the radio. I must have damaged it when I removed the face. Specmo also replaced all of the bulbs behind the radio face at no extra charge.

cburnscrx
04-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Well, I haven't had it to a shop yet, but I think that's going to be cheaper than the replace it part by part. It's sad that I can't figure out how to fix this.

cburnscrx
05-11-2008, 10:15 PM
And the saga continues...I didn't really find a shop that would charge me a reasonable amount (in my opinion), so I am back to the part replacement process. I have ordered a "new" climate control and we'll see if that helps. It can't hurt, right? I'll keep updating until it's fixed.

cburnscrx
05-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Well further updates! I have now replaced the climate control, dimmer switch AND the headlight switch!!! Still no interior lights. This is getting frusterating!!! I don't know what else to replace. Heck, I even replaced the bulbs behind the gauges in spite of the fact they weren't burnt out! Any other suggestions?

BLOWN91350SS
05-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Just for giggles have you checked to see if you have tail/brake lights? I had an early 90's S10 pickup that had the dash lights blown and it turned out to be a shorted wire. The tail lights were blown too (I think the tail lights and cluster lights are linked to basically give you an indication that something is wrong but....?). Maybe try that.

cburnscrx
05-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the idea, but the taillights work too! The only thing that doesn't work are the dash lights AND the climate control won't light up (but only when the headlights are on). This is beyond annoying.

AuburnTruck93
05-20-2008, 02:37 PM
sounds like an excuse to buy a new truck.... :wink:

have you tryed finding the wires that control the lights? then probing that with a multimeter?

BLOWN91350SS
05-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Sounds like a short or a bad ground somewhere to me.... but finding out where is the difficult part.

pringle420
08-05-2008, 10:22 PM
I am having this same problem and then some. I have a 93 and being in Canada, have day time running lights. My dash lights do not work and the HVAC dims when the headlights go on. When I put just my parking lights on, they don't go on. I also have lost my taillights, but not brake lights or reverse lights. And to top it all off, my Horn doesn't work.

I haven't checked the bulbs, but all fuses are fine. Really puzzling. Just happened one day out of the blue.

Anybody come up with a solution yet since the last post? Anybody?

NWOhioChevy
08-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Same problem here on my 2006, on it the dash lights are fused through fuse TBC2A on the side of the dash.

I know my problem is a short, as when the lights come on the fuse goes immediately. I hear a small "pop" sound.

My saga just started yesterday and I'm quite certain it will take tracing the wire in the whole circuit.

Where can I get a schematic for my 2006?

FYI: from what I see everything works in the dash exept the lights. I'm just glad I had a flash light in the glove box so I can set the cruise. Kinda eary driving in the dark now.

NWOhioChevy
08-06-2008, 03:04 PM
OK I went out and bought a Haynes manual this afternoon. 1999 - 2006 Silverado & etc.

Circuit for the dash lights also powers the following bulbs, so it could be any of these items.

Instrument Cluster (Lights)
Automatic Transfer Case Select Switch (All)
Traction Assist Switch (All)
Roof Beacon Switch (Lights)
HVAC Control Module (Lights)
Selectable Ride Switch (Lights)
Fog / Cargo Lamp Switch (Lights)
Inflatable Restraint I/P Module Switch (All)
Right Power Window / Door Lock Switch (Lights)

Also runs through (Splice Pack 203) where ever that is.

Now I just wish I was not on the road and had the garage to work through the circuit. What sucks as soon as I get hope I need to pack for a week vacation with the family where the truck is our transportation. Might have to take the tools with me to the lake.

NWOhioChevy
08-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Well got mine up and working again, took the following approach.

A) Bought Haynes Manual to know what all was on circuit - see post above
B) Started unplugging items in groups to see what eliminated fuse blowing.
C) When I had all items except headlight switch unplugged (as you can't turn on the lights with out it) and the fuse still blew.
D) Had everything removed and checked harness over closely and found no wires bad or chaffed.
E) Only had 30 Amp fuse left put it in and threw the switch and they worked.
F) Removed larger fuse and went to store to get more 15 amp fuses and it still works.
G) Looked everything over and light in the headlight switch assembly for the dimmer knob must of been the problem, as it is not lite any longer.

While I don't recommend trying the larger fuse as it can cause more problems, in my situation it provided enough current to let the bulb in the switch to go out completely and let the circuit start working again.

AuburnTruck93
08-06-2008, 09:05 PM
using the method you used can also start a fire. i would stay away from that especially if you dont know where the short is.

NWOhioChevy
08-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Yeah I would repeat, however I would do all steps except using the larger fuse. As I mentioned I don't recommend doing it.

Brandyn85
08-12-2008, 07:19 PM
i have(had) the same problem with mine(1990)... however mine had a blown fuse labeled pnl lts under the dash... it would just blow the fuse everytime i put one in, and the climate control would turn off when the lights turned on. so i pulled the cluster out and turned everything on again and the fuse stayed and my climate control lights stayed on! so i opened up my cluster and poked around in there a bit and noticed i had a piece of solder grounding out one of the guages. i havent stuck it back in yet but im pretty sure that was my problem.

neevnav
08-13-2008, 04:14 PM
As far as the original poster, I can almost guarentee that the problem was a bad connection between the plug and the cluster. Had the same problem, and it was the ground for the cluster. Had to bend the connector on the plug and voila, fixed. The only difference was my gauge lights and HVAC lights went black, and my gauges stopped working

cburnscrx
05-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Well, the recent update on a long passed thread is that I STILL don't have dash lights at night and my climate control STILL doesn't light up.

I just hate to pay someone to fix this, but I will try the bending the plug theory...I mean why not, I've tried about everything else.

pringle420
08-31-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm still dealing with my issues as well.

Any updates on your lights? Fixed? What did you do?

pringle420
08-31-2009, 10:26 AM
I don't want to thread jack, as I have my own thread form a year ago.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/general-discussion/technical-maintenance/333836-electrical-gremlin-hell.html

Just wanted to mention that I tried removing the cluster and testing, still kept blowing the fuse. My HVAC controls (digital) still work, they just won't dim when the lights are turned on.

s14xman
01-08-2010, 08:32 PM
sorry to bump an old thread but i am having the same problem on my 94 full size blazer. Was there any solution to this? My window switch lights still work but the hvac lights dont (i really cant remember what else is supposed to be lit either). Thanks for your help!

61chevyman
01-14-2010, 12:41 PM
I had the same problem, I tried two junkyard dimmer switches and neither worked. However, the night I replaced it I went out to my truck and the lights magically worked. Then about a month later trying to use a multimeter to figure out why my radio wires weren't working there was some blue smoke and the lights went back out. I tried a brand new switch and it didn't work. So if anyone has been able to fix their problem some input would be greatly appreciated.

cburnscrx
12-21-2010, 11:24 AM
I know this is really old but....I finally took it to Stan's Auto Electric here in Indianapolis, and they had it fixed in an hour. Not sure what exactly they did, but for $140 I now have dash lights. Don't care if I was ripped off or not as it was just plain annoying having to use on of those stupid little led's taped to the steering shaft. I will try to find out what they did so I can help those still struggling.

11ellswrob
03-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Well, it is certainly NOT the dimmer switch! I bought a brand NEW dimmer and still no dash lights.

I think the next item to replace is the HVAC control unit and see what happens.
OLD THREAD RESURRECTION!
I have the exact same problem.
You ever find out what was the problem?
EDIT
If it wasnt toooooooooooooooooo much to ask could you please give them a call and ask what they did?

11ellswrob
03-27-2011, 06:00 PM
:smile::smile::naughty::FSCrules::FSCrules::help:: help::help:Ya know...for the other FSC guys with the same headache

jmig
04-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Check the plug that goes into the dimmer switch. When I was testing my cluster after I did the switch from my stock 88 moonie style to a 94 cluster with tach everything worked as it should, but when I was putting my dash back in the truck I plugged back into the dimmer switch and had the same problem as described above. No dash lights and when I would turn the headlights on the HVAC lights would go out. I pulled the bezel back off to check my connections and one of the pins on the dimmer switch was not in the plug, pulled it off and made sure everything was lined up and got dash lights and the HVAC was back to normal.

11ellswrob
04-15-2011, 10:18 AM
I just put er all together and carefully plugged everything in and I got my dash lights back! I was careful and made sure all of em were nice and clean.

arichard487
09-23-2011, 01:20 PM
I have a 1990 K1500 and I am having this problem also. I have changed all the bulbs and checked the fuses and the dash lights still aren't working. All of the indicator lights turn on when the key is in the "on" position but when I turn my headlights on the rest of the dash lights do not light up. I just bought a new headlight switch and that didn't fix the problem. The dimmer switch still turns on the interior lights so I am thinking that probably isn't the problem either. I am getting 12v in at the light switch but the wire that connects it to the dimmer switch is only getting a .1v reading. I thought that maybe the headlight switch was not passing through the current properly but apparently that isn't it. Does anyone have any idea as to what I should check next?

arichard487
09-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Nevermind, it was the fuse for the park light that was blown. Replaced that and the dash lights came right back on.

kilabeez0
10-12-2011, 05:36 PM
wow all this and the original poster never reported back what the shop did to fix it??? wtf???

dagen_1
01-10-2012, 02:50 PM
when i had this problem...it was the dimmer causing mine to go out.

brandonsullivan
01-14-2012, 02:51 PM
man i feel your pain my lights do the same thing i was really looking forward 2 him telling us what the heck happened!!!

cdbformula
01-15-2012, 08:07 PM
I have been having the same problem. When I got the truck the hvac would go black when I turned the headlights on and no dash lights. I was also having a problem with my tail lights, then one day it all worked for a month or so. Then all of the sudden no dash lights but the tail lights work fine. I have replaced the head light switch and dimmer switch. Please help it is. Very annoying

Chevy Cust Svc
01-17-2012, 11:12 AM
I have been having the same problem. When I got the truck the hvac would go black when I turned the headlights on and no dash lights. I was also having a problem with my tail lights, then one day it all worked for a month or so. Then all of the sudden no dash lights but the tail lights work fine. I have replaced the head light switch and dimmer switch. Please help it is. Very annoying

I would be happy to look into this for you with the last eight of your VIN. Have you brought this to the attenion of your local dealer? Please feel free to contact me privately. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.

aggie25
02-12-2012, 02:20 AM
bump sorry guys but still no answer?

mine just stopped working when i went over a speed bump? never have i ever had a problem with it till now i just put in the super bright led lights and it happened 3 nights later im going to take it all apart and see if i can fix it