PDA

View Full Version : TBI 350 cam choice help.

Badass69
11-23-2008, 01:01 PM
I know this gets asked about a million times but the searches I do net more questions than answers.

The truck is my 94 2wd reg cab short box. It has a 3:42 geared diff and a 4L60E. I will be rebuilding the tranny and adding a shift kit as well as a stall convertor(cam dependent). My question is what cam should I run in the engine?

The engine is pretty basic. It's a one piece rear 350 block taken 0.030" over. Stock crank that has been balanced. Stock rods resized with ARP bolts. The pistons are Keith Black 228 flat tops. My cylinder heads are part # 10021070 Dart Iron Eagles. They are just a 165 cc intake runner Vortec ripoff( although a much nicer heavy casting with the standard pre 86 intake and valve cover patterns.). Heads have 1.94/1.50 valves and the ports and chambers are untouched. They have been milled .012" giving me an effective chamber volume of 70cc (stock is 72). That coupled with the pistons lands me about smack dab at 9.5:1 static compression which is where I want to be. I will be running an Edelbrock Performer manifold hooked to the 94's original TBI( ultimate mods, I have police injectors if I find them necessary, am adding a Walbaro 255 pump and exernal regulator) and long tube headers.

The truck will never tow anything, never has, and I don't plan to start. It will be more or less just a street driver with some track use if I feel the need to run slow........

I have a Comp XE262 cam already that I could use. I just think there are probably more power making grinds that could suit me better. The engine is 100% roller ready( everything is drilled and tapped already) and I am thinking of going that route. The truck has the 7427 ECM and yes I will be getting a custom tune for it.

What kind of cam has you guys run sucessfully with good mid range power along with decent low end torque. I will buy my stall according to my cam choice. I am not regearing it as I acquired a completely overhauled Auburn Pro series limited slip equipped 10 bolt for next to nothing that is ready to go. The tires are 235/75/R15 and I will not run anything that is taller than those.

Like I said this has been asked a million times one way or another but any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Badass69
11-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Well ok maybe I will do this. I am not clueless on this stuff, just interested in opinion. I am thinking something has a max around 218 degrees on the intake and then maybe 222 or 224 on the exhaust would be a decent fit. If its ground on 112 or 114 degree centers the idle vacuum should be sufficent to allow the engine to run with a proper tune. I am using the Comp Camquest as a generic guide and it seems to think those specs are reasonable for my goals. It recommends all Comp cams of course but that could be spread to any manufacturer. I like the 264HR12 as an example, 210 on the intake, 220 on the exhaust, .480 lift on a 112 degree centerline. The simulation dyno gives it about 360 Hp @ 5000 rpm and more importantly 430 lb ft @ 3500 rpm. I think something in that range may work well enough. What do you guys think?

90'rado
11-23-2008, 03:14 PM
What kind of cam has you guys run sucessfully with good mid range power along with decent low end torque. I will buy my stall according to my cam choice. I am not regearing it as I acquired a completely overhauled Auburn Pro series limited slip equipped 10 bolt for next to nothing that is ready to go. The tires are 235/75/R15 and I will not run anything that is taller than those.

Crane 2030 :read:

I'm running Elgin's grind of the Crane 2030 cam in my TBI 350 and I love it. The cam cost me 50 bucks

HTH

Badass69
11-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Crane 2030 :read:

I'm running Elgin's grind of the Crane 2030 cam in my TBI 350 and I love it. The cam cost me 50 bucks

HTH

I already have an XE262 Comp if I want to go the mild flat tappet cam route. I am more interested in running a roller cam however.

90'rado
11-23-2008, 09:35 PM
I already have an XE262 Comp if I want to go the mild flat tappet cam route.

Why did you start this thread then? :aniteef:

Badass69
11-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Why did you start this thread then? :aniteef:

To see what kind of roller cams people are running for the best overall package. I am pretty sure that is well conveyed if you actually read what I have written to begin with...........Without trying to be a complete jerk, it's pretty obvious that you didn't.

I don't want to use a mild flat tappet cam. I actually want to try and take advantage of my cylinder heads.........

90'rado
11-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Without trying to be a complete jerk, it's pretty obvious that you didn't.

Is it? I read it. It was actually considerably difficult trying to decipher WHAT exactly you were trying to get out of this thread.

Well, best of luck with proper camshaft selection! :aniteef:

I don't want to use a mild flat tappet cam.

Well you could always use it to :sheephump At least it's good for something right?

Badass69
11-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Is it? I read it. It was actually considerably difficult trying to decipher WHAT exactly you were trying to get out of this thread.

Well, best of luck with proper camshaft selection! :aniteef:

Well you could always use it to :sheephump At least it's good for something right?

Isn't it kind of obvious when a thread is headed by "TBI cam choice help" a person is looking for a cam. What I wrote isn't difficult to understand at all. I actually just gave all the info that maybe a person could use to try and make an intelligent decision. I can redo it if you like and make the thread like all the others where a person asks for cam choice assistance and doesn't mention what the truck is or anything about the engine. I also wrote I don't want a flat tappet cam, and just mentioned I have a XE262 kicking around. After all this wonderful help I take the thread back. I will be fine on my own.

Red94Chev
11-24-2008, 01:42 AM
I have the XE262 roller cam in my mill running Trickflow heads, 9.4:1 compression. Peak power is estimated at 385hp at 5500 RPM. It's a good camshaft. I had it with the stock torque converter for awhile and it ran surprisingly decent on the low end. I'm also running a single plane intake, so I thought it would be terrible. I'm now running a 2400 RPM stall converter and that's perfect for this camshaft. It starts to pull hard from 3000 RPM on up. I'm actually running larger tires than you (29") with the 3.42.

Personally, I wouldn't go any bigger than 218/224. The Comp Camquest is a stripped-down version of Desktop Dyno. The more accurate the info you input, the more useful and accurate the dyno data. Still, I wouldn't rely too heavily on a particular power number that you're after. It's a rough guide and is best used to compare different components on the same engine. You'll soon realize that the largest influences on making good power are exhaust, camshaft, and cylinder head flow data. Tune is just as important, although the program assumes a perfect tuned state.

Badass69
11-24-2008, 10:02 PM
I have the XE262 roller cam in my mill running Trickflow heads, 9.4:1 compression. Peak power is estimated at 385hp at 5500 RPM. It's a good camshaft. I had it with the stock torque converter for awhile and it ran surprisingly decent on the low end. I'm also running a single plane intake, so I thought it would be terrible. I'm now running a 2400 RPM stall converter and that's perfect for this camshaft. It starts to pull hard from 3000 RPM on up. I'm actually running larger tires than you (29") with the 3.42.

Personally, I wouldn't go any bigger than 218/224. The Comp Camquest is a stripped-down version of Desktop Dyno. The more accurate the info you input, the more useful and accurate the dyno data. Still, I wouldn't rely too heavily on a particular power number that you're after. It's a rough guide and is best used to compare different components on the same engine. You'll soon realize that the largest influences on making good power are exhaust, camshaft, and cylinder head flow data. Tune is just as important, although the program assumes a perfect tuned state.

Thank you for a reasonable answer. I can't find the XE 262 HR anymore for whatever reason but I have a pretty good idea of what it's specs are and it's right up my alley. I am thinking for sake of tuning I will stay at a 212/218 duration cam with around .500" lift (1.52 rocker) and probably 112 degree LSA. I actually did input headflow numbers in for the estimate I gave. I have all that data for my Dart's. I know the importance of engine component selection, this isn't my first time. I am just apt to asking to see what opinions float around out here. For power goals, honestly I have none. I don't really care at the end of the day what it does because anything will be better than what it is now. The only reason I even own a flat tappet XE262 is because this engine was orignally destined for a demolition derby car and I was just doing a cam swap and regasket on it. That sure changed. I don't mind the cam quest program, it's a neat little program to play with. I take about zero faith in dyno numbers anyhow, I base my power estimates off of quater mile times( consistent trap speeds). Those are real world and take basic physics to calculate, really it just boils down to Force=Mass * Acceleration. Good old Newton's Laws.

I just picked the cam for my Charger's 6.1 and I am going bigger on it, its MPI but still speed density. It will be at 218/224 duration, but it's heads flow a ton better than a gen 1 Chev small block..... Around 260-270 cfm stock on the intake side......I am not working it otherwise, just a cam and springs( if I need them, not sure). Going much larger and my piston to valve becomes more of a factor than anything else on that particular car.

Just out of curiousity considering you are in Edmonton, did you tune your truck yourself or have someone else do it. I don't know if I will bother to do mine or just hire it out. It's not a matter of me not having the ability, just not particularily wanting too, my spare time is very limited. I dunno if Wester's is any good at any of this, they are close at least if nothing else. For my car as an example, local tuning is pretty limited. But then again it's a Dodge and that makes it less popular and tougher to find.