PDA

View Full Version : wheel bolt pattern 1958 3/4 ton

jayft8
08-09-2010, 10:31 AM
hi- brand new member here. I ran a search on the Classic forum on this subject, but had no success.
I recently received my Grandfathers old 1958 Apache 36 (3/4 ton). It's in Alabama and I am in TX.
I would like to get a spare set of wheels so that I can have good tires mounted and ready when I go to retreive the vehicle and trailer it back to TX.
It has been sitting many years and the tires presently on it are of course flat and rotting.

Does anyone know or can anyone direct me to a source on what the wheel bolt pattern would be?

I have pictures and know that it is 8-lug, but not much more.

any help will be much appreciated.

thanks

JT

GreaseDog
08-09-2010, 01:20 PM
should be 8 on 6.5, just like anything else.

jayft8
08-11-2010, 09:29 AM
should be 8 on 6.5, just like anything else.

Thanks for the reply there Grease Dog

after some digging, I would agree you are correct and that the "should be 8 on 6.5" is confirmed

not sure what the "just like anything else" part of that would cover?

part of my confusion is that I'm finding GM has also used 8 on 165.1 mm and I'm unclear if that is an ENTIRELY different pattern or if 8 on 165.1 is the same pattern as 8 on 6.5 but expressed as it's metric equivalent? any experience with that one?

since I'm only planning to use these to get the old man rolled up onto the trailer and pushed into the garage - I'm trying to find a used set somewhere. most people trying to sell on craigslist or the like won't know what they have, but they can tell you what it came off of. so that leaves me to look up the donor vehicle to see if it will match. when I see that GM used 8 on 165.1mm or 8 on 6.5 for a given year, I'm left wondering what's what?

JT

K1500 Cheyenne
08-11-2010, 11:32 AM
The bolt pattern is identical; 165.1mm is 6.5in.

Nasty-Z
08-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Just make sure you do not procure wheels from a 99-later F*rd S/D , they are 8 on 170mm and will not fit the earlier ones as 98-down F*rd were 8 on 6-1/2" .

Also if the wheels you find are off of a OBS (88-98) chevy the center hole is mighty close to not clearing the hub on the early Chevy's, it will require some work with a die grinder to make it slide over the hub , I tried this on our '59 parts truck a few years back.

Best bet is an aftermarket wheel IMHO , the centers are larger to make up for the differences in manufacturer's hub's and most all trucks with the exception of the 99-up F*rd use a 8 on 6-1/2" bolt pattern , Local Craigslist , ebay and papershop should have plenty. Wish you were closer I have many that would probably help you out.

Good luck on the truck

TOM

jayft8
08-13-2010, 08:56 AM
The bolt pattern is identical; 165.1mm is 6.5in.

Thanks! I had a hunch that was the case.

ROLL TIDE!

(this truck were talking about is just a few hours away from you up in Fort Payne)

K1500 Cheyenne
08-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks! I had a hunch that was the case.

ROLL TIDE!

(this truck were talking about is just a few hours away from you up in Fort Payne)

No problem, and Roll Tide right back at you! I'm actually starting at 'Bama next week! :cheer:

jayft8
08-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Just make sure you do not procure wheels from a 99-later F*rd S/D , they are 8 on 170mm and will not fit the earlier ones as 98-down F*rd were 8 on 6-1/2" .

Also if the wheels you find are off of a OBS (88-98) chevy the center hole is mighty close to not clearing the hub on the early Chevy's, it will require some work with a die grinder to make it slide over the hub , I tried this on our '59 parts truck a few years back.

Best bet is an aftermarket wheel IMHO , the centers are larger to make up for the differences in manufacturer's hub's and most all trucks with the exception of the 99-up F*rd use a 8 on 6-1/2" bolt pattern , Local Craigslist , ebay and papershop should have plenty. Wish you were closer I have many that would probably help you out.

Good luck on the truck

TOM

SWEET!

thanks a million Tom! that is some GREAT information! very helpful.

I have been digging and digging to learn as much as I can on this fitment issue because I really can't afford a lot of problems and need everything to go as smoothly as possible when I make the trip out to trailer the Old Man back.
Your comment about aftermarket hubs being a safer bet due to larger center bore daimeters for universal fit really solidifies something I was beginning to understand. I've learned that I will have to choose very carefully if I go with an OEM hub-centric wheel. Looks like the mopar trucks had the biggest hub-center bores so I was thinking I might luck into a set of them and be safe. A little too big - no problem; a little too small - ARGH!

You say you had a '59; was it a 3/4 ton by any chance?

Reason I ask is; I can pick up a set of aftermarket 15 X 7; 8 on 6.5 fairly cheap. So I'm starting to lean that direction.
My next question would be: what are front and rear brake drum diameters on a '58 3/4 ton? I would not think I would risk interference issues with a 15" wheel, but a lot of things have changed on vehicle/parts design since the 1950s.

How confident would you be that a set of 15 X 7 would fit with no interference issues?

Would you advise 16" minimum?

thanks again Tom

JT

Nasty-Z
08-13-2010, 10:48 AM
I would not see why a 15X7 would not fit , as far as I can remember they were only a 12" brake front and rear.

Ours (Mine and my Dad's) was a '59 3/4 ton although I believe it was the 3400 "Dubl Duti" series as Chevrolet called it , it was kinda like the "Heavy Half" of the later models.

Be sure to pack pry bard , lots of WD-40 and a good selection of tools , we have been screwing with these trucks for years and it always seems when you go to pick one up something is always rusted or seized up .

Good luck with the trip , pics are a must when you get back.

TOM

jayft8
08-16-2010, 07:42 AM
I would not see why a 15X7 would not fit , as far as I can remember they were only a 12" brake front and rear.

Ours (Mine and my Dad's) was a '59 3/4 ton although I believe it was the 3400 "Dubl Duti" series as Chevrolet called it , it was kinda like the "Heavy Half" of the later models.

Be sure to pack pry bard , lots of WD-40 and a good selection of tools , we have been screwing with these trucks for years and it always seems when you go to pick one up something is always rusted or seized up .

Good luck with the trip , pics are a must when you get back.

TOM

Thanks Tom for another informative response.

It's great to "meet" someone with firsthand knowledge on the 58/59 3/4 tons.
I've read the half-ton Task Force series had 11" inch brakes, and the 3/4 ton had larger, but the book I have didn't say how much larger.
Twelve inch sounds about right. So I bet your memory is correct.

I'm making quite a checklist of tools to take with me for the job; even including a shovel and small chainsaw. I'm pretty handy and well equipped. But you know what they say about experience - it's what you get immediately after you needed it! HA!
Fortunately for me, I have a very good friend here who has a lot of experience with a '57 (but it was a half ton) and he has done all the recovery and trailering stuff before so he knows the ins and outs.
I do have some pictures now. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to post them . . . .

. . . more later and thanks again.

JT

Nasty-Z
08-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks Tom for another informative response.

It's great to "meet" someone with firsthand knowledge on the 58/59 3/4 tons.
I've read the half-ton Task Force series had 11" inch brakes, and the 3/4 ton had larger, but the book I have didn't say how much larger.
Twelve inch sounds about right. So I bet your memory is correct.

I'm making quite a checklist of tools to take with me for the job; even including a shovel and small chainsaw. I'm pretty handy and well equipped. But you know what they say about experience - it's what you get immediately after you needed it! HA!
Fortunately for me, I have a very good friend here who has a lot of experience with a '57 (but it was a half ton) and he has done all the recovery and trailering stuff before so he knows the ins and outs.
I do have some pictures now. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to post them . . . .

. . . more later and thanks again.

JT

Good luck , post pic's when you get it home.

TOM

Chevy Apache 38
08-25-2010, 04:02 PM
I am sorry to tag onto this thread but it seems like you Guys really know what you are talking about and I just registered and can't figure out how to post a new thread.

I have a 1958 Chev. Apache 38 One Ton Truck that needs new rear brake drums. I found the fronts no problem but can't seem to find a listing for rear drums anywhere.

Does anyone know are the rear drums on the 1 Ton the same as the rear drums on the 3/4 Ton?

Thanks, getting desperate.

Nasty-Z
08-25-2010, 05:27 PM
I am sorry to tag onto this thread but it seems like you Guys really know what you are talking about and I just registered and can't figure out how to post a new thread.

I have a 1958 Chev. Apache 38 One Ton Truck that needs new rear brake drums. I found the fronts no problem but can't seem to find a listing for rear drums anywhere.

Does anyone know are the rear drums on the 1 Ton the same as the rear drums on the 3/4 Ton?

I believe that the 3800 series 1 ton used a 14" brake and drum whereas the 3700 and 3600 3/4 ton used a 12" brake and drum.

I could be wrong , it has been a long time since I messed with one that was stock.......

Good luck with your project.

TOM

jayft8
08-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Hi there Apache 38
I'm in the process of building up a library for myself on trucks like ours.
I just bought a shop/service manual off ebay along with some other manuals/booklets.
I will check what I have tonight and see if there's anything in there for you and let you know.
As some of these other items come in I'll be able to share more with you.
I'm sure you will have an answer to a question for me at some point, too so we'll have to keep in touch.

For right now though, I'll put my money on Tom that he's right.

And hey btw Tom - I've posted some pics of my 58, but I'm waiting on "approval pending" . . .

More later

JT

jayft8
08-27-2010, 08:07 AM

ok Apache 38 (you got a first name?)
here's the info I have from a 1958 Task-Force 58 Chevrolet Models and Specifications booklet; I also have a 1959 Salesmen's Truck Data Book Specifications Catalog for cross reference; (just bought both of these items in the last week or two on ebay)

here is the info as it appears in the chart on page 2 of the booklet-
1958 Series 38:
Brakes, Service
Brake Size, Front: 12 inches by 2 inches
Brake Size, Rear: 14 inches by 2.5 inches
Total Lining Area: 228 square inches
Booster: 7 inch Hydrovac

the above info is the same for both Standard Drive (2WD) and 4X4 models

the booklet does show a difference for the Parking Brake Location between Standard Drive and 4X4 models.
for the 4WD model the booklet shows the Rear Wheels as the Parking Brake Location just like all other models in the chart (36, 31-32, and 1171-1271)
for the Standard Drive (2WD) model, the booklet shows the Propeller Shaft as the Parking Brake Location

dude, I have no idea what the heck that means??????????

the information from the 1959 Salesmen Data Book is the same, but with a few additional details.
for both models 3804 (2WD) and 3854 (4WD):
Brakes, Service:
Hydraulic with 1 1/8 inch master
Brake drum effective area: drum 371 square inches; lining 228 square inches

the 1959 Salesmen Data Book also shows a difference between parking brakes for 2WD and 4WD models:
model 3804 (2WD) Parking Brake:
8 inch by 2.5 inch drum & band

model 3854 (4WD) PArking Brake:
rear wheels; area 136 square inches

hope that gets you everything you need - please let me hear from you if there's anything else I might be able to help you with;
that said, I might need to come asking you next time

(at some point, I'd like to be able to make some high-quality scans of these things so they can be posted or e-mailed as jpegs - but that's for another day)

JT

Nasty-Z
08-28-2010, 08:53 PM
the booklet does show a difference for the Parking Brake Location between Standard Drive and 4X4 models.
for the 4WD model the booklet shows the Rear Wheels as the Parking Brake Location just like all other models in the chart (36, 31-32, and 1171-1271)
for the Standard Drive (2WD) model, the booklet shows the Propeller Shaft as the Parking Brake Location

On the 4WD models the parking (emergency) brake was located on the rear axle and utilized the same shoes as the service brakes , the 2WD models had a drum brake assembly mounted to the back of the transmission on the output shaft and was used as the parking brake.

TOM

Nasty-Z
08-28-2010, 08:55 PM
ok Apache 38 (you got a first name?)
here's the info I have from a 1958 Task-Force 58 Chevrolet Models and Specifications booklet; I also have a 1959 Salesmen's Truck Data Book Specifications Catalog for cross reference; (just bought both of these items in the last week or two on ebay)

here is the info as it appears in the chart on page 2 of the booklet-
1958 Series 38:
Brakes, Service
Brake Size, Front: 12 inches by 2 inches
Brake Size, Rear: 14 inches by 2.5 inches
Total Lining Area: 228 square inches
Booster: 7 inch Hydrovac

the above info is the same for both Standard Drive (2WD) and 4X4 models

the information from the 1959 Salesmen Data Book is the same, but with a few additional details.
for both models 3804 (2WD) and 3854 (4WD):
Brakes, Service:
Hydraulic with 1 1/8 inch master
Brake drum effective area: drum 371 square inches; lining 228 square inches

the 1959 Salesmen Data Book also shows a difference between parking brakes for 2WD and 4WD models:
model 3804 (2WD) Parking Brake:
8 inch by 2.5 inch drum & band

model 3854 (4WD) PArking Brake:
rear wheels; area 136 square inches

hope that gets you everything you need - please let me hear from you if there's anything else I might be able to help you with;
that said, I might need to come asking you next time

(at some point, I'd like to be able to make some high-quality scans of these things so they can be posted or e-mailed as jpegs - but that's for another day)

JT

Good info JT , wish I knew what happened to my set of early service manuals , they are definently a good read.

Hows the truck coming along ? Any new progress?

TOM

jayft8
08-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Good info JT , wish I knew what happened to my set of early service manuals , they are definently a good read.

Hows the truck coming along ? Any new progress?

TOM

Thanks Tom
Yeah, that term "Propeller Shaft" had us stumped here. We were wondering if it was '50's talk for drive shaft. Output shaft makes more sense.

Well the only new progress so far would be mostly what can be read here. I've been accumulating a library, joined a forum or two, hunting for a set of spare wheels/tires, and begun learning everything I can about the truck all in preparation to make the 1400 mile round trip to retreive it this Fall.
Not exactly sure when that will be, but I'm thinking maybe November. I have a friend with experience retrieving and trailering an old '57 half-ton that he used to own. I'll be a begger not a chooser on the time he's able to donate to help me on this, so I'm not exactly sure yet when we'll make the trip.
In the meantime - I have managed to post an album of some pics of the truck and you can check them out in the gallery under my member name.
I'll be sure and keep up with you to let you hear from me as this thing progresses.
more later
JT