PDA

View Full Version : 2000 1500 wont go into 4-LO

weigle54
12-07-2010, 06:31 AM
Hi all, new here obviously, just brought a 2000 1500 home last night with 39K miles.

Truck will go into 4 HI no problem, but when I hit the 4 LO button, the transfer case tries to lock up twice, then goes back to 2 WD. Is this an actuator? Thinking its not the motor as 4 HI works perfectly.

A search didn't give me any results.

THANKS in advance!

F4MOU$
12-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Are you in neutral when your trying to put it in 4Lo?

weigle54
12-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Yes sir. Neutral with brake on or off, transfer case won't stay locked in neutral either. Dealer just told me they would pay for parts if it does need an actuator.

F4MOU$
12-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Take it back to them and make them fix it if they told you it works. It may be the actuator.

weigle54
12-07-2010, 11:33 AM
I agree. That part us taken care of.

Thanks- I think your right about the actuator motor.

OneBaddAssZ71
12-07-2010, 11:42 AM
dude on the nbs chevy you need to be rolling foward at less then 5mph for it to shift in2 4lo

Quyonmob
12-07-2010, 11:54 AM
You guys are muddying terms or something....

The actuator is is in the front differential and does nothing but connect the front front driveshaft to the front axleshaft via a central axle disconnect. It doesn't care about range selection, it only cares about front drive or no front drive.

The encoder motor shifts the the transfer case through its range (2H, 4H, N, 4L).

Sounds like the encoder motor is unable to shift to 4Lo, or sthe dash switch has failed on the 4lo circuit.

If the front tires engage, it is not the actuator.

OneBaddAssZ71
12-07-2010, 11:58 AM
You guys are muddying terms or something....

The actuator is is in the front differential and does nothing but connect the front front driveshaft to the front axleshaft via a central axle disconnect. It doesn't care about range selection, it only cares about front drive or no front drive.

The encoder motor shifts the the transfer case through its range (2H, 4H, N, 4L).

Sounds like the encoder motor is unable to shift to 4Lo, or sthe dash switch has failed on the 4lo circuit.

If the front tires engage, it is not the actuator.

yea but on both my 2k models both of them you had to be rolling with the truck in neutral then push the 4low button for it to shift into 4 low. so if he is sitting still even with his foot off the brake it still will not make the shift into 4 low. the truck needs to be rolling at less then 5mph IIRC

Quyonmob
12-07-2010, 12:05 PM
yea but on both my 2k models both of them you had to be rolling with the truck in neutral then push the 4low button for it to shift into 4 low. so if he is sitting still even with his foot off the brake it still will not make the shift into 4 low. the truck needs to be rolling at less then 5mph IIRC

Yeah but....that has nothing to do with anything I said. :think:

I wasn't explaining how to shift it. Was explaing how the parts work for trouble shooting purposes.

If he isn't shifting as per owners manual, then it sounds like the operator is broken and should be replaced.

For what it's worth, I can grab 4Lo at a dead stop in my NBS.

OneBaddAssZ71
12-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Yeah but....that has nothing to do with anything I said. :think:

I wasn't explaining how to shift it. Was explaing how the parts work for trouble shooting purposes.

If he isn't shifting as per owners manual, then it sounds like the operator is broken and should be replaced.

For what it's worth, I can grab 4Lo at a dead stop in my NBS.

hmm, mine wont complete the shift if the rig is not rolling. i believe the problem might be between the seat and the steering wheel. because if it will shift into 4 hi and is pulling in 4 hi then it will most likely shift into lo range. just operator error

Quyonmob
12-07-2010, 12:24 PM
hmm, mine wont complete the shift if the rig is not rolling. i believe the problem might be between the seat and the steering wheel. because if it will shift into 4 hi and is pulling in 4 hi then it will most likely shift into lo range. just operator error

My Dad's 92 S-15 jimmy did exactly that, no 4Lo but 4Hi was fine. Turned out to be the encoder motor.

OneBaddAssZ71
12-07-2010, 12:28 PM
well to the OP id suggest try rolling then shifting into 4lo, if no worky then consult quyonmobs troubleshooting

SIDENOTE: im post whoring like a mofo today LOL

Quyonmob
12-07-2010, 12:32 PM
well to the OP id suggest try rolling then shifting into 4lo, if no worky then consult quyonmobs troubleshooting

Agreed. Shift at a 2-3mph roll in D, that fails try the same speed in N. That fails, start trouble shooting.

weigle54
12-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Since I'm new, I'll go ahead and ask:

Are there any recurring issues with these trucks I should watch out for? Mine a 5.4 4wd extended cab lt. Everything I've read has said these trucks are bullet proof- I'm used to dodges, so it's s kittle new to me.

OneBaddAssZ71
12-07-2010, 12:39 PM
if you take care of them they will last a long time. but try what we said first. also consult your owners manuel about the 4 low thing and read it will tell you exactly what to do

also i forgot to ask is your truck a dash switch 4x4 or floor shift 4x4

weigle54
12-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Did everything u guys said bf I asked the original question.

OneBaddAssZ71
12-07-2010, 01:02 PM
do you have the auto trac t-case or the floor shift tcase?

weigle54
12-07-2010, 05:20 PM
It's the push button

Rampage2
12-07-2010, 08:19 PM
if you take care of them they will last a long time. but try what we said first. also consult your owners manuel about the 4 low thing and read it will tell you exactly what to do

also i forgot to ask is your truck a dash switch 4x4 or floor shift 4x4

I have to agree with the part about reading the manual about how to shift into 4 low. When I got my first ***** button 4 wheel drive, I was having the exact same problem. I just found out you cannot use the word p*ssy in the forums. oops. My bad.Lol.

weigle54
12-07-2010, 08:24 PM
well i've tried that and again, still doesnt work so when its fixed i'll let you all know what fixed it.

THanks for insight.

bowhunter920
12-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Dont feel alone in this fight. Mine wont shift into 4wd either?????? I replaced the frkn Actuator b/c that seems to be what everyonbe on the net says will fix it. It DIDNT. Still I push my 4wd button the lights just flash in 4 hi and 4 lo? I undo the actuator to see if it is working, NOPE the thing isnt engaging in and out like it is supposed to...... So What part is supposed to tell the actuator to engage? My transfer case is engaging but there is no power going from it or something else to the differential????? Please let me know this is fixable?

Quyonmob
12-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Dont feel alone in this fight. Mine wont shift into 4wd either?????? I replaced the frkn Actuator b/c that seems to be what everyonbe on the net says will fix it. It DIDNT. Still I push my 4wd button the lights just flash in 4 hi and 4 lo? I undo the actuator to see if it is working, NOPE the thing isnt engaging in and out like it is supposed to...... So What part is supposed to tell the actuator to engage? My transfer case is engaging but there is no power going from it or something else to the differential????? Please let me know this is fixable?

Check for an actuator switch on the top of the front of your t-case output. This is how the lever operated OBS trucks switched the actuator, may be the same with a push-button OBS.

bowhunter920
12-11-2010, 08:08 AM
I found that little switch waiting on the part. I'll try it, thx

1988c1500
12-13-2010, 07:07 PM
So...how do you test the encoder motor? Is there a lever or something that moves when it activates? Trying to find out as much information before I go troubleshoot in the cold and wind. I have 4 high but when I try to shift into 4 low the light just flashes and then goes out. On a '96 Tahoe

bowhunter920
12-14-2010, 06:45 AM
I wish I could help you on that. Mine wouldnt engage in 4hi or 4lo. The lights just blinked. Yours might be the same as mine. It was the 3 pin switch on top of the transfer case that fixed mine yesterday. The switch had one pin borke off in it, causing it to not get a connection.

weigle54
12-28-2010, 06:41 PM
mechanic just told me the problem is a busted trans case. just thought you guys would want to know. dealer is paying for the parts.

Quyonmob
12-29-2010, 06:54 AM
mechanic just told me the problem is a busted trans case. just thought you guys would want to know. dealer is paying for the parts.

No real info there. Details?

weigle54
12-29-2010, 08:15 AM
No real info there. Details?

I'll post when I know. Mechanic is tearing apart as we speak. Looks like the lower gears are busted bc 4 high still works.