PDA

View Full Version : Dana 44 Jeep axle specs for possible SAS?

K Berg
12-06-2011, 11:12 AM
anyone got Dana 44 Jeep axle specs? I know that certain years had a drivers side drop diff for the front end and used a 6 lug GM type wheel pattern on Wagoneers. I was also thinking I'd be able to swap to a solid axle D44 and run a set of flat top knuckles I already have set up for hi-steer/crossover steering with an aftermarket pitman arm on the stock 88-98 4x4 box. I want to try to keep costs as low as I can (my goal is below 2k, maybe in the $1,500 range) and that is to include the perches, steering, axle, driveshaft, brakes and anything else related. Does anyone know the width of these? All I can find is info on the newer small cherokee or wrangler axles. I do know they were spring-under axle which isn't a problem for me. I also heard some of them have some sort of vacuum controlled central axle disconnect. Any ideas on what years these came on? I have seen some of these Jeeps for sale cheaper than I can buy a Ford Dana 44 and I'd like to stay away from the Dodge axle with the unit bearings. The conversion kits to eliminate them are basically my whole budget. I guess what I'm looking for is the following information:
-What years were drivers side drop and what years were passenger side drop?
-Will my Chevy knuckles fit my Jeep D44?
-Will the Jeep stub axles work with Chevy hubs if I converted to 8 lug spindles and outers?
-Which years had Central Axle Disconnect?
-What is the spring perch width?
-What is the WMS to WMS measurement?

If I can find a DS drop without CAD if it is even possible and if it is similar to the measurements of a 73-87 GM axle I think I may be in luck. Thanks for any info you guys have.

Quyonmob
12-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Wouldn't they be a bit skinny, even from a wagoneer?

dirtyhick42
12-06-2011, 12:23 PM
I am with quyonmob, that would be skinny. The s10 guys use the wagoneer axles for sas's if that gives you a sense of what size they are.

Macedawg
12-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Wouldn't they be a bit skinny, even from a wagoneer?

thats what i'm thinking

Macedawg
12-06-2011, 12:26 PM
I am with quyonmob, that would be skinny. The s10 guys use the wagoneer axles for sas's if that gives you a sense of what size they are.

and on a YJ full-size axles stick out about 3" on each side

K Berg
12-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Crap, thanks for the info. For some reason I was thinking the older Jeeps were fullsize and about the same size as a fullsize GM. All good reasons not to go through with it though. I'm going to have to re-think this. I wonder how hard it would be to replace the NV246 with an older passenger drop 241 and if I can find one with a VSS mounted in the rear. I'm gonna need a bigger drawing board...

usmczmann
12-19-2011, 05:41 PM
I have a 2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 and I have completed my SAS using a 1979 HP Ford F250 axle with 1978 Chevy knuckles, Nitro Diff, and 4:10 Yukon gears. The perch width is 32" and you can use 2.5 to 3" springs. I will tell you though, if I were to do it all over again I would have gone with the Dana 60. There are far more options for this axle than the Dana 44. Not suyre how much access you have for fabrication, but "Off Road Direct" has SAS Kits for these swaps on most Chevys. "Off Road Unlimited" has a wider selection if you decide to go to the Dana 60. Hope this helps.

K Berg
12-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Thanks USMC, the original plan was a Ford D60 with GM outers and an ABS kit but my funds are low. I'm not sure if I want to use a kit or make my own perches.I might incorporate the front perches into the plow frame. Last time around I did this I just threw the cab and bed up on a 77-80 K20 frame and had a 454 and 4 speed with a 205 case. At the time it was easier for me to make the cab mounts on the frame than it was to reconstruct the front end. My Suburban already has a 10.5" 14 bolt with 4.10 gears. I figured I'd run a Ford 44 to save money and maybe go to a 60 when the budget allows but everyone around where I live is nuts. They think these things are worth $400 for a D44. When I cleaned out my yard I had a hard time getting rid of the D60's I had. I wish I hung onto at least one of them. I was trying to see if anyone knew if the older Jeep front axles had the same spring pad measurements and what the width on them was but everyone has so far informed me they are too narrow. I'm suprised because I always thought a J20 or J30 pickup was considered fullsize since it is built on the SJ platform. Everyone seems to tell me they are the same width as a CJ/Wrangler or a smaller 80's-90's Cherokee. My Uncle had an old mid 60's dual wheel 4x4 wrecker but he can't seem to remember much about it since it was so long ago. I know there was a change from passenger side drop to drivers side drop for the front diff. I was looking into maybe picking up one of these cheaper than picking up the Ford model. Oh well.