GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

1982 Chevy Silverado 6.2 Diesel 4x4

This is a discussion on 1982 Chevy Silverado 6.2 Diesel 4x4 within the Chevy Trucks For Sale forums, part of the For-Sale category; The truck is two-tone red/white. About 150,000 Miles. It is an automatic tranny. I have not checked the mileage to ...

1982 Chevy Silverado 6.2 Diesel 4x4

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    The truck is two-tone red/white. About 150,000 Miles. It is an automatic tranny. I have not checked the mileage to get exact but I figure it should do about 20mpg. Everything works as it should. There is more detail below.

I bought it a few months ago from a dealer in KS. The guy who owns the parts store in the town I bought the truck worked at the Chevy dealer when this truck was sold new. And basically told me it was used as a farm truck. I am pretty sure that I am probably the second owner. But I could be wrong.

I should have pictures tomarrow or saturday depending on when I can get back home. Untill then here is the description.

EXTERIOR:

It has some rust. The cab corners and the rear fender wells like most all of these old trucks. There is also surface rust on top of the cab. The right front fender has a dent in it. It has a heavy duty chrome Luvern rear bumper which is slightly dented. I have not got around to pulling it out yet. All lights work except the dome light and cargo light probably bulbs, I haven't looked into that yet. I will if I have time this weekend.

INTERIOR:

Really it's pretty nice. When I bought it I pulled the dash all apart and cleaned all the bulb connections so all dash lights work. It has manual windows and locks which I considered a plus. The headliner is trying to fall down. Carpet is in ok condition (not all torn up). It also has floor mats. There is a NEW (installed the end of Dec.) Pioneer AM/FM/CD/MP3 radio with two new 6 inch Pioneer Speakers behind the seat. Dash has a few cracks but still looks alright.

MECHANICAL:

I think it is in overall good shape. I have drove it several time from where I work in KS home to NE. About 180 miles one way and never had a problem.

When I bought it the water pump was out. So when I intalled a new water pump I also put on new hoses and belts.

Also The front driveshaft that came with it was shot in the CV joints. I didn't want to mess with them so I found a front driveshaft off of an 87 and put a new lower u-joint on it. I also checked the splines and they were good.

While I did the driveshaft I put a new u-joint in the driverside of the front axle. Packed the drivers side wheel bearings, etc.

The original overdrive tranny was swapped out somewhere along the line for a turbo 350. It shifts as it should and the fluid is not burnt.

The engine runs good. It is the best running 6.2 that I have been around. It has always started. It started for me without being plugged in (the bock heater does work) at 3^F and not being started for the entire weekend. The automatic glow plugs cycle on and off like they should.

The rear main seal does leak which seems to be common. It can be replaced with out yanking the engine or dropping the tranny from what I understand. I don't know for sure how much oil leaks out. I just know that every so often when I check it I am about a quart low.

As far as get up and go, your not gonna win any races unless you race another 6.2. It seems to be pretty peppy compared to others I've driven.

This would make a great work or Farm truck. I bought it to use instead of my '04 at work and has served me well. We got a company truck at work so now I don't need this truck. I'd like to buy a second truck that is more practical to drive the 360 mile round trip, that I seem to make every weekend, to help save miles on my good truck.

$1500 obo.

Any questions let me know,

Brian
    2004 Silverado 1500 ECSB Blue/Silver Z71

Winter Toys:
    NEW! 2008 Yamaha Apex MTX SE

2001 Arctic Cat 800 Mountain Cat with a 2003 King Cat 900 engine (150hp) and 144" finger track. (needs a new home)

Re: 1982 Chevy Silverado 6.2 Diesel 4x4

can you send pictures to joe.hovorka@offutt.af.mil

96 Z71 RCSB 08 18s 285 Terra Grapplers Hypertech Goodmark Cold Air Intake 5% DVD
    91 4X4 RCSB "SOLD"

"Never take a girl out for a cup of coffee, the last thing you want her to be is alert and focused"

^ Will do when I get them.

Winter Toys:

2001 Arctic Cat 800 Mountain Cat with a 2003 King Cat 900 engine (150hp) and 144" finger track. (needs a new home)

PICURE LINK:

http://s609.photobucket.com/albums/t...albumview=grid

I forgot to mention that there are new brake pads, spring kits and wheel cylinders in the rear.

Also it has two newer interstate batteries.

The CB radio will come out. The rims and tires that are on it belong to a friend. There are white spoke rims that will go with it. The tires that are on those rims are not the best. A couple have some cords showing. I could scrounge some better ones up. Also I am thinking that I will keep the grill guard.

-Brian

Winter Toys:

I still have this truck sitting around here and I am not driving it very much. I still can't get the rear breaks to work right. It also leaks some oil. Those are the bad things about it. On the plus side even without OD tranny it will do about 17mpg. I drove it while my 04 was in the body shop. Back an forth to Kansas half dozen or so times.

Looking to get $1200 for it.

Any questions let me know,

Brian

Winter Toys:

Still got it.

The grill guard is off (a buddy wanted it). So is the chrome rear tailgate insert. I have an old truck that used to belong to my grandfather that I want to redo, but I need this one gone first.

-Brian
    Last edited by stahlecker; 06-09-2009 at 04:38 PM.

Winter Toys: