Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Polish / Aluminum results

So I got my wheels back from the powder coater. The wheels were likely acid washed before coating & I had a few dings cleaned up/ sanded out at the wheel repair shop so polishing was needed. I decided that I wasn't going to pop the extra $140 for them to polish the lips. I dry sanded with 1000, a quick once-over with a 'fine' sanding sponge, wet sanded with 1500, & wiped them down with acetone before applying the polish.

I bought a new polish that my neighbor had recommended based of the results he had with bare aluminum wheels.
    Since I had some other products around, I thought I'd make a comparison. I masked off 4 sections of the wheel lips to see which did the best.

This stuff is the shiznit. After wet sanding, I wet a paper towel with this stuff & started rubbing. I barely used any pressure, just worked it quick before it dried up. Mopped up the excess with another paper towel after letting it set a minute & a quick buff with a microfiber was all they needed. Nice vanilla scent.

Eagle one was the first runner up. It gave a nice shine with little effort, but it just didn't perform as well as the white diamond. Oily feeling & smells like turpentine. It smears a bit when cleaning up.

The blue magic was disappointing next to the others. It was easy to deal with like the White Diamond, but the results were lackluster.

It was only marginal better than the Meguiars 105 which I expected to do little on the aluminum

Unfortunately, I was running late & didn't grab a pic of the comparison. If someone was really interested, I could do it with one of the other wheels I have left to complete.

Re: Metal Polish / Aluminum results

As luck would have it, I got after the other 2 last night & found a tub of old Mother's in the box:

Masked off

After a bit of rubbing

Results

Mothers

White diamond

Mothers vs White diamond....
    The results are really close & the process is about the same for both. Mothers is a bit more greasy when cleaning up the excess, but overall didn't require any more elbow grease or time.

I'd say if they were side by side, I'd probably still lean towards the WD all things the same. If Mothers was a couple bucks cheaper than the WD, I'd pick it up.

Comment

I will buy a bottle of White Diamond. Thanks for the review!

Comment

Great review. I like using the wet diamond on chromes and aluminums, and it works great.

Comment

MOAR

Wet sanding

Top left is finished product. Below it is what I started with. After 1000 grit & after 1500

I'm diggin the matt look. I may just wet sand everything & leave it next go around

Last edited by spent21; 05-11-2016, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Nice! But I like it shiny though.

Comment

Cool wheels!

Comment

Great review! This is motivation for me to give my wheels a good polishing next time I wash the truck.
                01' Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71
                Toyo MTs, Pro-Comp Lift, PA Body Lift, Incubus Wheels, Bilsteins, NFab, K&N, Flowmaster, LEDs, Full Console, Cobra CB.

04' Chevy Tahoe Z-71
                Nitto ATs, Uniden 980, Firestik, K&N, Garmin, and Maglight.

See build threads for details!

Comment

Working...
                X