Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I drive it without a serpentine belt

Had a idler pulley seize up on 02 d-max and break the serpentine belt.
    Will it hurt anything to drive it back home about 5 Miles?

Re: Can I drive it without a serpentine belt

Without a serpentine belt, you are not spinning the water pump, alternator or power steering pump.

If you can even make it, it will be one hell of a ride to get there LOL

If it were me, i'd pay close attention to my gauges and try making it back home. Or i would call someone to just tow me back.

1983 Jimmy Sierra Classic-Future LSX Swap Recipient
    2002 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LT-Daily Driver
    1995 Corsica-Super-Sleeper in Progress

Comment

Will the engine run? yes
      Should you run it like that? no
      96 Z71- duals, Wheatley Tune, Ceramic Manifolds, Custom Intake, Ranchhands
      01 Hoe- Kenwood, MB Bruzers,

Comment

tow truck $100, Reman demax engine...................slightly higher

Comment

It wont hurt it, just take it easy.
          SOLD: 04 z71, 3200 circle D, longtubes, Corsa sport, TBG 4l60e, 93 BB tune, 4500K HIDS, and other aftermarket stuff.

Originally posted by 03SMURF
          you have the meanest sounding 5.3 I have ever heard in person

Comment

as long as you get there before your battery runs dead or before it over heats.
            Last edited by southcarolina12; 01-10-2012, 10:06 PM.

2000 silverado z71, 315 mud grapplers, leveled, k&n intake, flowmaster 40, cat delete, hid, strobes, bully dog tuner, msd ignition, e3 spark plugs, polished throttle body, shift kit, long tubes, z06 cam

Comment

simple awnser...no
              [Stole/FOUND 13/03/08 :O)
              91GM 4x4 excb 5.7 @ 40 over, Westers,Eld 3704.Lunati Trickflow 195 @1.6 RR,Walpro 190/overbuilt 700r4 /TCS TC,4.10/tru trac,14 blt,Hooker LT,areofilter,Extreme TBI.MSD.AGR still adding
              07/ 6.7 Cummins..truck included
              70 fury 3
              71 sport fury GT

Comment

I wouldnt, just have someone tow you with a tow strap. Yes you could probably do it, but I think that's pushing it to far. Anybody with an suv or truck should be able to tow you 5 miles.
                Last edited by Darty03; 01-11-2012, 12:31 AM.
                «2003 2500HD 4x4 6.0L V8»
                33" Cooper S/T MAXX, TB Crank, Tint: Front-20% Rear-5% , Brush Guard, Small Custom Tune
                « 1989 Camaro IROC-Z LS1 447hp 441tq (Under the knife, 383 stroker time) »

Comment

that's why I have AAA. wether its a 1 mile or 100 miles the 100 bucks I pay a year is well worth it the first time I have to use it.

Comment

Wow nobody seems to agree on anything. Drove it back temp gauge never even got to operating temp no problems. Lower idler pulley locked up tight. Upper pulley starting to go so changed them both.

On another note AAA is a rip off at that price. I have towing added on to my auto insurance for only $22 a year

Comment

Originally posted by zr900 View Post
                      Wow nobody seems to agree on anything. Drove it back temp gauge never even got to operating temp no problems. Lower idler pulley locked up tight. Upper pulley starting to go so changed them both.

On another note AAA is a rip off at that price. I have towing added on to my auto insurance for only $22 a year
                      Perhaps the "engine never got up to temp" because without the water pump the cooling wasn't flowing.
                      Some towing packages have different rates depending on how far they will tow you.
                      I have a spare serpentine, idler, and tensioner in my toolbox. Easy fix if you have the parts, I go far from home and deep into the mountains.
                      '04 Silverado 1/2 ton 2WD ext. cab dk. grey. 5.3 liter, locking diff. XLerator exhaust - offbrand but throaty. Borgeson intermediate shaft, Bilstein HD shocks.

KJ6LFD

Comment

I had to go 10mi in my OBS when the idler locked up and ate the belt.

I thought about towing it, then I thought... Oh well, if I cook the engine, all the more reason to dump the 5.0 for a 5.7. It did it no trouble at all (other than steering 32's when I was trying to park it in my buddies driveway).

I can say I would be hesitant to do the same with a Dmax, as if it did cook, it wouldn't be a day and $500 to swap for a low miles long block, as it would have been in my case.
                        Last edited by Quyonmob; 01-11-2012, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zr900 View Post

I strongly doubt for that price your insurance will tow 100 miles/unlock/tire repair/gas 4x a year. AAA is damn worth the money. Use it once a year and your already got your money back.
                          Originally posted by CodyZ71
                          You know you drive a OBS when you fire it up

Comment

It's generally not considered a good idea. I'm not 100% sure where the temp sensor that feeds the gauge but a good chance it would never read a high temperature because the coolant was not circulating. This allows concentrated hot spots throughout the engine.

Glad you made it okay and hopefully you didn't cause any longterm damage.

Comment

The water pump is gear driven, so other then no power steering or power brakes not really a problem.
                              Biggest problem is the battery power as you will have no alt.
                              I have done it to, when my idler went.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
                              96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
                              05 Cavalier
                              74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
                              49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

Comment

Working...
                              X