Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting the chevy bowtie black?

Hey I drive a black 06 Silverado and the gold bowtie on the grille is killing me..
    Does anyone know the best way to paint it black to match the stock black paint? Or do you know if its possible to buy them anywhere?
    Thanks DAGS
    Black 2006 ECSB Silverado LT2 4x4

Re: Painting the chevy bowtie black?

You can try aftermarket light rockguard. It comes in a smoke and is easy to install. You're likely to break the bowtie symbol when you take it off and doing it this way you avoid that. The material inparticular is made by ricochet in Canada.

Comment

i need 1 blue =[
      02 5.3 :fsc: silverado

Comment

Originally posted by captainktm
        You can try aftermarket light rockguard. It comes in a smoke and is easy to install. You're likely to break the bowtie symbol when you take it off and doing it this way you avoid that. The material inparticular is made by ricochet in Canada.
        How would you break it? Ive had mine off about 3 times to repaint it from rock chips and it comes off real easy.

07 classic ecsb 5.3
        ford keys, 3" cat back, k&n 77 series, cognito 7-9", 35"toyo's, 4.88's & trutrac, vette servo, zippy tune

Comment

Take it out. Lightly sand it. Wipe it down with some Simple Green. Prime it, paint and clear coat it with Dupli-Color. Mine lasted for years.

Comment

mine came off easy too
            07 Vortec Max
            Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Black5.3Z71 View Post
              mine came off easy too
              i mean... i agree with you how would it break easy...? and why paint the outside of it? why not take off the gold foil on the inside and paint it from the inside so you wouldnt have to mess with taking it off and re painting it every 6 months or so.....?

Comment

I broke mine. Its a chrome emblem with a colored part inside. I glue it, sanded it, bondos it, sanded it, then painted it. Cant tell now.

Its the rear thats 2pc, the front was 1pc
                Last edited by SoSoFLY; 09-24-2012, 05:52 PM.
                DD -07 Illverado, 5.3, Airaid, 4/6 mcgaughys deluxe drop, HID projectors, LED in/out, colormatched ext/int, chrome U2 55 24x10, 15% over factory, rollpan, RST spoiler, lots of mods

Comment

I just did mine yesterday, I used vinyl took all of 10 min to do. Cleaned it cut the vinyl to roughly the same shape but larger, put it on the front of it and hit it with a hair dryer and moulded it around the corners. Bet of all it was free dude ha some scraps

Comment

on my silverado i use to have i popped it out and sanded it down and spray painted it with some black spray pant i had laying around and never had any problems with it.

Comment

Autozone or Advanced Auto or whatever local store around you should carry the colormatch paint. I know you said black but I would still get it for a perfect match. Then a coat of clear and it will look perfect. Did it to my maroon 03 NBS

Comment

if you want it flat black check out Plasti-dip. look it up on youtube. the stuff is amazing

Comment

Plasti dip is the balls I have half my truck covered in it right now

-Ziggy-
                          2002 silverado 1500 extended cab short bed 5.3L

current mods -

Aftermarket speakers and aftermarket headunit
                          Cree reverse light bulbs
                          Custom flowmaster original 40 series exhaust
                          Candied tails
                          Blackbear Tune

Future
                          Converted cluster bulbs to leds - only turn signals to go

Comment

I painted my bowtie about a 1.5 to 2 years ago and it hasnt been off since. looks like I just painted it. Make sure to put a clear enamel on it if you don't want to take it off and repaint it
                            06-2wd-4.8-5speed-LR4-Z85-40series-Baja 8s-TrueTrac-4.30gears-J&S Performance Tune
                            Originally posted by kyviabama
                            Every guy thinks he has an additional 2".

Comment

To help it stick and prevent rock chips, make sure you sand to around 320grit then clean with some wax and grease remover, I would even go as far as to use an adhesion promoter like bulldog. Any wax or grease left behind will fisheye the paint or prevent it from sticking...

Take your time and if you really want to get anal, clear it then wetsand it from 800-2000 grit to knock our the orange peal, then use a polish to shine it up
                              00 Sierra Ext. Cab SB, 5.3 V8 Auto

Comment

Working...
                              X