Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Dash Lights!!!

Well Boys and Girls, I have a problem with my 92 Chevy W/T with the 4.3 V6. As it sits right now, my dash lights won’t light up when I turn the headlights on. The HVAC lights work when the headlight are off, but when you turn them on, the HVAC lights go out. All my other lights work, headlights, taillights, turn signals, ect. The only thing that doesn’t work is the dash lights when the headlights/parking lights are turned on. Any suggestion?
    Last edited by cburnscrx; 12-27-2007, 03:45 PM.

Re: No Dash Lights!!!

Is your bulb burned out? or blown fuse?
    SOLDFlowmaster Super 44, no cats, TBIchips tune, e-fans, underdrive pulleys, Ultimate TBI.
    Alpine CDU-9886, 12" Dayton HO, PG RSD 6.5" comps, RF P500.2, and RF P1000.1. 791xv Alarm

Comment

If you drove with your dash lights fairly dim that puts a lot of stress on the dash light dimmer resistor because it has to absorb more current to make the dash lights dimmer. They do burn up pretty regularly if you have your lights really dim and spend a lot of time driving at night. Might be worth pulling up a schematic for the switch and check for power coming out of it going to the dash lights.
      1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
      1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

Comment

Check your dimmer switch. Make sure it is working properly since it is in the circuit with your dashlights when your head lights are on.

Comment

Thanks guys, I tried a different dimmer switch out of a junkyard, and still no interior lights. Is there something that I should be looking for to check? The bulbs worked one day, and the next day they didn't so I am going to bet against the bulbs being burnt out, but I'll check.

I checked the fuses, but it's my understanding (I could be wrong) that the headlights would be affected as well. Is there a specific fuse for the dash lights?

Comment

I wouldn't rule out the dash lights bein burnt out quite yet. I had the same issue with mine.... all went out at once. looked for little knicks in the wiring, bad connections, bad ground, evertything. thought I would give up but I decided to change out the 5 bulbs lightin up the gauges for the hell of it..... turns out they were all burnt out at the same time? dono how that works but lights work now.

Comment

I am sure I am going to check the actual bulbs, but any explanation for the climate control going dark when I turn the headlights on? The climate control still works, but the lights go out. I did replace the climate control and the same thing happened with the junkyard version. Again any suggestions are appreciated!

Comment

well that sounds like the dimmer. but u said u changed it. does your voltage drop on the meter when you turn your headlights on? i mean more than normal. could be you just dont have the juice.
                SOLDFlowmaster Super 44, no cats, TBIchips tune, e-fans, underdrive pulleys, Ultimate TBI.
                Alpine CDU-9886, 12" Dayton HO, PG RSD 6.5" comps, RF P500.2, and RF P1000.1. 791xv Alarm

Comment

There is absolutely no voltage drop when I turn on the headlights. This is really perplexing. I guess what's also amazing is that the HVAC control display lights up UNTIL I turn on the headlights. Weird

I still think it's the dimmer and I might try a 3rd one since the replacement was out of a junkyard.

Comment

Originally posted by 89stepside25
                    I wouldn't rule out the dash lights bein burnt out quite yet. I had the same issue with mine.... all went out at once. looked for little knicks in the wiring, bad connections, bad ground, evertything. thought I would give up but I decided to change out the 5 bulbs lightin up the gauges for the hell of it..... turns out they were all burnt out at the same time? dono how that works but lights work now.
                    I haven't pulled the gauges to check the bulbs yet, but did your HVAC lights go out when you turned your headlights on?

Comment

The gauge cluster basically is the plug. I mean the plug is complete with the cluster. Contacts on the cluster and the dash get weak. take your cluster out and check those points. Before you do that try gently hitting the top of your dash and see if they come on. If they do take the whole cluster out and bend each one of those contacts up alittle. when you take it apart you'll see what i mean.
                      Last edited by ss92chevy; 01-11-2008, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Well, there’s a new development. I searched and searched on here for some more possible solutions, and might have found my problem. Yes, I did switch out the dimmer however; I am not sure what year the truck I got the dimmer out of was. Apparently there is a difference between the 88-91 dimmers and the 92-94 dimmers. IF this is true (can anybody cross reference) then I might have found my problem.

Then my next problem is finding a dimmer for a 92-94. That should be fun...Um, no.

Comment

Originally posted by ss92chevy
                          The gauge cluster basically is the plug. I mean the plug is complete with the cluster. Contacts on the cluster and the dash get weak. take your cluster out and check those points. Before you do that try gently hitting the top of your dash and see if they come on. If they do take the whole cluster out and bend each one of those contacts up alittle. when you take it apart you'll see what i mean.
                          I'll try that, but why would the HVAC lights go dark?

Comment

I checked the fuses, but it's my understanding (I could be wrong) that the headlights would be affected as well.
                            no

Is there a specific fuse for the dash lights?
                            Yes

I'll try that, but why would the HVAC lights go dark?
                            It is perfectly normal that is the way it works. When you get your dash lights working it will go back to normal. When you turn on your lights it changes circuits to the dimmer from full power and since you dash lights don't work it just goes dark.
                            Last edited by rainman318; 01-11-2008, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Okay, I have now taken apart the dash, and replaced the 194 bulbs. However I still have no dash lights and my climate control still goes dark when I turn on the headlights. Also, the dimmer switch DOES work, at least to turn on the dome light!

Comment