Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid axle swap tahoe

Hey there, I'm stuck with this,
    I have a 99 chevy tahoe (obs) and I already did a solid axle swap on it with a chevy Dana 44, after all this I found out That I need a hp ford Dana 44 to get it 4wd again. Because I have the autotrac t case . What all I need to do or find when looking for a ford hp Dana 44 , I'm currently have stock 3:73 gear in both. Working on cross over steering. Would the flat top knuckle inter change with the chevy and ford Dana 44 ? So if I do this cross over steering so I can drive it for now then when I find the correct axle the steering would still work ?

Thanks

Re: Solid axle swap tahoe

you can do a np205 case with the vss adapter....
    '00 Chevy Silverado Z71, 233k miles
    '06 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 Tow Pig
    '98 Chevy K1500 ECSB, SAS - Sold
    '94 GMC C1500 RCLB, DD - Sold
    Some guys think that if you got a cooler car that your better then other guys; Those guys are right. - Adam Farrara

Comment

The better route would be to find a p-drop 241. I can't remember the exact year, maybe around a 91 blazer/suburban. It should bolt up and already has vss. A little searching will tell ya exactly what you need.
      sigpic
      01 2500HD 8.1/Ally/D60HP/ORU ~13in/ Bils 5150's/39.5 Rockers/spooled rear, detroit front/5.13s/AEM/Magnaflow/PSC/Nelson tune and some more.

05 F-350 SRW Lariat PSD - tow rig, AEM, straight piped with 6.4L tip.

08 Honda Civic Mugen Si - Stock, DD.

Comment

if you take the Ford route the dimension you need to know is 28.5". Thats the center to center spring perch width. Its most commonly found in 78-79 ford f250s. It will be the Reverse rotation high pinion you are looking for. ORD makes a crossover steering kit that will make things very easy to bolt up with a drop pitman arm, steering arm and draglink.
        1989 Chevy K1500. solid axle swap with D60 front, 5.13 gears, powertrax lockright, 14 bolt FF rear, 5.13 gears, Detroit locker, 5.7L TBI, 40" BOGGERS, 16,500LB superwinch.

Comment

Originally posted by 891TON View Post
          if you take the Ford route the dimension you need to know is 28.5". Thats the center to center spring perch width. Its most commonly found in 78-79 ford f250s. It will be the Reverse rotation high pinion you are looking for. ORD makes a crossover steering kit that will make things very easy to bolt up with a drop pitman arm, steering arm and draglink.
          center to center is 31.5"
          sigpic
          01 2500HD 8.1/Ally/D60HP/ORU ~13in/ Bils 5150's/39.5 Rockers/spooled rear, detroit front/5.13s/AEM/Magnaflow/PSC/Nelson tune and some more.

Comment

Originally posted by 03SMURF View Post
            The better route would be to find a p-drop 241. I can't remember the exact year, maybe around a 91 blazer/suburban. It should bolt up and already has vss. A little searching will tell ya exactly what you need.
            Once I find a p-side drop 241 it bolts up to my 4l60e and I ditch my old electronic shift t case , do I need to get an adapter? Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by c3ncalchevy View Post
              Once I find a p-side drop 241 it bolts up to my 4l60e and I ditch my old electronic shift t case , do I need to get an adapter? Thanks for the help
              Here is a good write up on a driver drop 241 swap. Physically the two should bolt up the same, make sure you get a tc with a 27 spline input to match your 4L60E. I don't know for sure if the wiring between the driver and passenger drop is the same. Study up on this thread so you can ask more specific questions when the time comes and more knowledgeable members will help.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...p-writeup.html
              sigpic

Comment

90-91 blazer and burbs had a p-drop 241 with the Vss. should be exactly what you need
                2005 RCLB 2500 HD rocking a Big Block 8.1 backed by an allison.
                '89 K5 trail rig 350 with an SM465 on Tons.

Comment

I have a 99 chevy tahoe (obs) and I already did a solid axle swap on it with a chevy Dana 44, after all this I found out That I need a hp ford Dana 44 to get it 4wd again. Because I have the autotrac t case . What all I need to do or find when looking for a ford hp Dana 44 , I'm currently have stock 3:73 gear in both. Working on cross over steering. Would the flat top knuckle inter change with the chevy and ford Dana 44 ? So if I do this cross over steering so I can drive it for now then when I find the correct axle the steering would still work ?

Thanks
                  Not trying to be a dick, but I have to wonder, how did you go through all the work of swapping in a solid front axle and not notice that you'd need a drivers side pinion? The front output on the stock t-case is clearly oriented on the drivers side.

Again, not trying to be an jerk, just curious.
                  Last edited by mainechev; 03-07-2012, 07:20 PM.
                  98 Chevy RCLB K1500, 5.7, 4L60E transgo shift kit, vette servo, 14 Bolt SF, 3.73s, Blackbear 89 tune

Comment

Originally posted by mainechev View Post
                    Not trying to be a dick, but I have to wonder, how did you go through all the work of swapping in a solid front axle and not notice that you'd need a drivers side pinion? The front output on the stock t-case is clearly oriented on the drivers side.

Again, not trying to be an jerk, just curious.
                    I know stupid, I looked more into doing the sas suspension part and was thinking there was and easier way with the t case ( knowing my front drive shaft was on the d-side) could buy a adapter or another t case but found out it's more then that, this chevy dana44 was given to me and sat in my garage for a bit before I thought of doing the sas. But now I'm here with a sas tahoe with a chevy Dana44 , I set the tahoe aside for a year now because stuff came up and I been driving my jeep but I want to finish this project.
                    That is my chevy tahoe and my buddy 90 chevy single cab.

Comment

nice, you have more pics of both trucks?
                      :bowtie:
                      SAS 60/14 bolt 5:13 gears sky-kit 6'' springs..38'' mtz

Comment

Originally posted by big99chevyZ71 View Post
                        nice, you have more pics of both trucks?
                        I did but I don't know what happen to the the others.

Comment

The cheapest route would be to use a Transfer case out of an 88-91 k5 or suburban, then you can use a front axle out of the same vehicle. Otherwise you could put in a driver drop manual shift t-case and use a 77.5-79 f250-f350 front axle, which is how mine was built.
                          Solid axle Chevy Tahoe with Vortec 5.3 conversion

Comment

Thanks
                            Keep your Chevy axle and just put in an 88-91 Transfer case out of a k5 Blazer or a suburban.

Comment

Thanks
                              Keep your Chevy axle and just put in an 88-91 Transfer case out of a k5 Blazer or a suburban.

Comment

Working...
                              X