Clear All

Re: Sold my Silverado, bought a BMW.

Wrapped the stainless headers in DEI titanium heat wrap:

The lightweight aluminum "single mass" flywheel arrived too:

Comment

Comment

I was actually thinking about your 04' today, which is why I'm here. Sad to hear it's gone, but I've always wanted an old BMW to turn into an old rally car or swap a LS2 into or something. I almost picked up a 80's 528i once, but it needed a lot of work to make it useful and already had to many projects.

Good luck on the new machine.

1983 Jimmy Sierra Classic-Future LSX Swap Recipient
        2002 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LT-Daily Driver
        1995 Corsica-Super-Sleeper in Progress

Comment

Originally posted by Koots View Post
          I was actually thinking about your 04' today, which is why I'm here. Sad to hear it's gone
          The guy who bought it just has it sitting outside of his shop on the other side of the same town I'm in, just sitting there... Not sure what the plan is, maybe I should go by and see if he's done anything to it.

Comment

Man, somebody left a stripped and gutted car in my driveway...oh, wait. That was me.

Slowly making progress. I planned to change the steering linkage and control arms yesterday and while the control arms were off even drop the struts and pull them apart to cut a coil out on each side. But, I couldn't get the strut to spindle bolts nor the control arm bolts to break loose with my breaker bar. So they will be a project for another day in the shop with air tools, after a long penetrating oil soak.

But the new steering linkage is in awaiting the replacement gearbox. Then to flare and bend a couple brake lines. Keep cleaning and painting the engine compartment before stabbing the drivetrain back into place. It won't be show car perfect, but it'll be fine for a daily driver.

Last edited by 04SilveradoMykk; 04-28-2016, 07:16 PM.

Comment

great looking car. the grille looks cool

Comment

Finished bypassing the ABS module, installed a manual brake bias valve.

The replacement steering gearbox arrived, the last piece I was waiting for before installing the drivetrain. Including my manual steering conversion.

I'll have the engine & trans sitting back in the car this weekend.

Comment

I knew with all of these changes, aftermarket parts, poorly fitting headers...etc. that it would take a miracle from the car gods while the planets are aligned with the 7th gate of hell in order for this thing to go back together smoothly. Which is isn't. But I'm willing to continue cutting, modding, and making more work for myself until it does.

The steering gearbox that I used is from a 6cyl 525i model and is a slightly different design then the gearbox that came with the V8 models. I decided to give the 6cyl version a go due to availability and cost, figuring I could modify anything need be when the time came. The gear bolted to the frame beautifully, the pitman arm and steering column mated to it flawlessly. This particular gear feels amazing, super smooth and easy to turn with no slop or play. So regardless I'd like to run with it.

The headers and steering gear aren't playing nice with each other. A header tube interferes with a banjo fitting on the gear preventing the engine from sitting completely down on it's mount.

I flipped the motor mounts which pulled the drivetrain forward roughly 1.5" away from the firewall. Which just made the same header pipe hit the other banjo fitting on the box.

Before flipping the motor mounts:

After:

The difference being that with the drivetrain in OE location the engine is like 4-5" away from sitting on it's mount. Moved forward it only misses it's mark by 2".

I actually prefer having the engine forward, it will make working on it easier and the headers fit in the body better this way. I think I can doink the header pipe to give myself the clearance needed and/or spacer the engine higher on the mounts. The transmission crossmember even bolts up to previously unused holes on the body. I just need to see if the driveshaft can/will telescope to the relocated tailshaft. If I do run with this idea I know that I would need to lengthen the shifter linkage to compensate.

I'm gonna sleep on it before making any decisions

Comment

After fighting the headers for the day I am finally admitting defeat. They just won't fit the car, fit in the body, clear the steering, clear the firewall on both sides...nothing. Even after bashing tubes with a BFH

Imagine that, the OE manifolds clear the 525i steering gearbox....barely.

So I will clean them up and wrap them in the same DEI titanium wrap and move forward.

Comment

• Re: Sold my Silverado, bought a BMW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKb1a19mmYA

Comment

Slow progress. Been crazy busy. Just made the firewall plate and I've been trying to dial in ignition timing.

The tuning software isn't ideal. But I'm working on it. I am seeing what the value in the timing table translates to real life and tuning from there. The factory tune has the engine idling with 10 degrees after TDC. I can't believe it runs, but I assume they do that to heat up catalytic converters. My plan is to have it idling with 10-15 degrees BTDC, max timing around 30 degrees. It'll just take some playing around to get it right.
                        Last edited by 04SilveradoMykk; 07-30-2016, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Comment

Looks like it is time to mow those 12 pieces of grass in y our yard.

Originally posted by GreaseDog
                            you're a big paul bunyan lookin mutha fvcka.. i'd be scared to tell you not to pee in the middle of the back yard and not to leave your beer cans in the shower

Comment

Just 'cause I love perpetual tuning soo much, I added an oversized universal throttlebody

...Now for the endless tuning

Comment