Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edelbrock Heads Vs. Vortec Heads

I have a '90 K1500 with the 350 engine. I have shorty headers and an Edelbrock #3704 intake with a stock TBI. A set of Edelbrock heads #60859 list for $1,300. A set of GmPP vortec heads list for $620 and I would need to purchase the mat ching vortec intake at $375.
    Basically the Edelbrock set up would cost me $1,300 as compared to the Vortec cost of $995 for a difference of $305.
    OK "gear heasd" LET ME HAVE YOUR OPINIONS ON WHICH WAY TO GO!!!!!

Re: Edelbrock Heads Vs. Vortec Heads

I had Edelbrock heads on my 89 350, with a mild cam, and Edelbrock intake, for 300HP at the wheels. But I would suggest to go with the Vortec heads.
    2007 2500HD Silverado 2WD Regular Cab 6.0LY6 6-speed auto 4.10s, Super 44 Flowmaster, Blackbear Tune. Put some duct tape on it, and Screw you, I'm from TEXAS!!!

Comment

I've heard the Edelbrock heads aren't much of an improvement over stock Vortecs.

Have you thought about looking for a used set of Vortecs? Easy enough to find.

As for the intake, I wouldn't pay $375 for that kind of intake. Your still using TBI right?

You could use a carb intake with a TBI adapter on top and save considerably. Or look on Ebay for the 'off brand' intakes for TBI trucks with Vortec heads. Way less money, still a good product. My motor did very well on the dyno with my off brand intake and has no leaks, fitment issues, etc.

But hey, if money is no object, go for the good stuff. I'm just used to always being on a budget, lol.

Edit:

Just an example...my engine is making 370HP to the flywheel on stock Vortec heads, a very plane jane intake, a vac secondary Holley carb, and a small ZZ4 cam. The block was decked when it was built so its about a 10:1 motor though.
      Last edited by SimpleGreen; 02-19-2010, 10:52 PM.

- 1993 C1500 - 5.3L/4L60E Swap - 3/5 Hotchkis - '96 Interior - Tuned by EPS -
      - 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE - Borla - 1" Eibach Drop - Roto Fab Intake - Katzkins Interior -

Comment

Originally posted by nauticstar87 View Post
        I had Edelbrock heads on my 89 350, with a mild cam, and Edelbrock intake, for 300HP at the wheels. But I would suggest to go with the Vortec heads.
        They are slightly better than votecs. They flow a shade more on the intake and 20 cfm more on the exhaust. Not to mention they do it with a slightly smaller intake runner, which is a good thing for throttle responce. They alow for cams up to 0.595 lift, have good springs, and a slightly smaller combustion chamber(60cc).

They're not the best head. I have'em on my 406. There is still nothin wrong with vortecs, some machining and a little port work, and they work great.

300 hp to the wheels on a 350? I don't know where you guys get your stuff dynoed, but I gotta go where you go. My 406 only put down 284 and ran a 12.9 @ 105mph(2500 feet alt).
        A short acceleration video------>http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/l...rent=truck.mp4

Comment

Lately I've been looking into aluminum vortec heads. If I can come up with the scratch I might add a set to my 385ci build.

Comment

Originally posted by 04SilveradoMykk View Post
            Lately I've been looking into aluminum vortec heads. If I can come up with the scratch I might add a set to my 385ci build.
            ive been looking into the RHS aluminum vortecs, but im not shure if theyre worth it.
            sigpic
            69 C10
            http://www.fullsizechevy.com/showthr...y+project+pics

72 C10 stepside RAT
            355/350/14bolt 3.73 posi

92 k1500
            1/4 16.024 @ 84 MPH

2006 ECSB 5.3
            1/4 15.588 @89.96 STOCK

Comment

Originally posted by gmc406 View Post
              They are slightly better than votecs. They flow a shade more on the intake and 20 cfm more on the exhaust. Not to mention they do it with a slightly smaller intake runner, which is a good thing for throttle responce. They alow for cams up to 0.595 lift, have good springs, and a slightly smaller combustion chamber(60cc).

They're not the best head. I have'em on my 406. There is still nothin wrong with vortecs, some machining and a little port work, and they work great.

300 hp to the wheels on a 350? I don't know where you guys get your stuff dynoed, but I gotta go where you go. My 406 only put down 284 and ran a 12.9 @ 105mph(2500 feet alt).
              which ones? the centerbolt performer heads?
              sigpic
              69 C10
              http://www.fullsizechevy.com/showthr...y+project+pics

72 C10 stepside RAT
              355/350/14bolt 3.73 posi

92 k1500
              1/4 16.024 @ 84 MPH

2006 ECSB 5.3
              1/4 15.588 @89.96 STOCK

Comment

Originally posted by gmc406 View Post

Lol, what was the TRQ on your's, mine puts 305 to the wheels and 372 lbft of torque, and i have only ran a best of 13.75 @ 98 mph. I would say the dyno was off where you went, i have read several tech articals with 355's making 450+ at the crank.

For the OP, i have the AFR 195 Eliminators and love them, though i would have been better to go with the 180cc. The 195's would be better suited on a 383-406. Yes they are more $$$$, but IMOP when your buying cylinder heads, you get what you pay for.

1/4 mile ET 11.77 @ 117 mph
                sig by; Chuggs
                Originally posted by 03CCDually

Im not trying to set any world speed records, i dont need to do everything i can for a better ET.
                I do this for fun.

Comment

Fast 95, do you know how much your truck weights?

Comment

Originally posted by fast 95 View Post
                    Lol, what was the TRQ on your's, mine puts 305 to the wheels and 372 lbft of torque, and i have only ran a best of 13.75 @ 98 mph. I would say the dyno was off where you went, i have read several tech articals with 355's making 450+ at the crank.

For the OP, i have the AFR 195 Eliminators and love them, though i would have been better to go with the 180cc. The 195's would be better suited on a 383-406. Yes they are more $$$$, but IMOP when your buying cylinder heads, you get what you pay for.
                    303 torque at the wheels. As per his dyno, my truck makes more power than a 2010 Camaro. I'm thinkin the same thing, everybody's #'s I've read about are way different than mine.

I agree with the AFR's. I'm getting a set this year along with a cam change.
                    A short acceleration video------>http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/l...rent=truck.mp4

Comment

3960 with me in it, and i weigh 205 so that makes it 3755 w/ 1/4 tank of gas. This year should be a hair lighter with the alumnium wheels, i will know for sure come march when racing season starts

1/4 mile ET 11.77 @ 117 mph
                      sig by; Chuggs
                      Originally posted by 03CCDually

Im not trying to set any world speed records, i dont need to do everything i can for a better ET.
                      I do this for fun.

Comment

Originally posted by whitelightnin92 View Post
                        which ones? the centerbolt performer heads?
                        yes

Comment

I would go with a stock set of L31 Vortec 350 heads over the centerbolt Edelbrock heads. The ceneterbolt heads have been around for quite a while, I'm not sure if they have done any updates on them, there are much more modern heads available.
                          The only Edelbrock heads I would really look at so far as SBC's are concerened would be either the 170cc or 200cc E-Tec heads.

ETEC 170cc $565.95
                          http://www.sdpc2000.com/details/edelbrock/e60979

or these WHeeler Updated reproduction of the GM "906" L31 Vortec 350 heads. for $185 assembled
                          http://www.sdpc2000.com/details/sd12558060

All depends on budget.

peace
                          Pauly
                          97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

Comment

Originally posted by whitelightnin92 View Post
                            ive been looking into the RHS aluminum vortecs, but im not shure if theyre worth it.
                            My son has a set of RHS (actually Pro Topline before the buy-out) iron heads on his 383, they're very good. We only paid about $750 for 'em complete - how much are the aluminum versions selling for?

Comment

When I hadmy 355 dyno-ed it put down 410 at the crank with 397 torque. But mine you I paid for every pony, I really dont think the outcome was worrth the money because my drive line cant deliver it to the wheels at this time. Just go with a set of stock vortec heads.
                              Last edited by Gumbo Mud; 02-22-2010, 09:24 AM.
                              93 Z71 ECSB- 350 TBI- 3" MagnaFlow Exhaust with shorty Headers. 33x10.50x15 BFG's
                              Things to come:
                              -500HP Vortec 355 - 4" Lift - Replacement Bumpers - New paint - and more when I cant think of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X