Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• locker vs. posi

i got a 93 c1500 nv3500 350. i drive on and offroad posi or a locker ????????

Re: locker vs. posi

get something that replaces the entire carrier whatever you get. posi will be more street friendly, but the locker will be better off road. its a matter of give and take.
    77 Chevy K20 - 80 GMC K2500 (in pieces)
    90 Chevy K3500 - 93 Chevy C2500 (in pieces) - 94 Chevy K1500

Comment

Eaton posi or Tru Trac. Detroit lockers are too expensive imo. Too expensive for a ten bolt. If you have a 14 FF the price is right, plus it's basically your only option for posi/locker.
      Last edited by bigbob6988; 09-04-2010, 08:45 PM.
      99 Silverado ECSB 4X4, LQ4, Patriot Stg. 2 243's w/ 59cc chambers, TR224-112, Pacesetter LT's, Nelson tune, FLT Lvl 5.5, PI 3400, UD pulley, 160* t-stat, E-fans, 6'' Fabtech lift, 3'' body lift, 37'' XTerrains, 4.56's, 4'' shackle flip 13.3 @ 99mph on 37's or 13.0 @ 101mph on 31's

Comment

If you are a weekend wheeler and don't beat it too hard then a posi is your best bet. Doesn't have teath to chew up on the street and the clutches will last half of forever.

"01 GMC 2500 HD, Bagged, BB Tuned, Dumped exaust, and Race built trans with 2800 Stall

Comment

Originally posted by custm2500 View Post
          If you are a weekend wheeler and don't beat it too hard then a posi is your best bet. Doesn't have teath to chew up on the street and the clutches will last half of forever.
          I agree about the lockers, here is a link of the Eaton Detroit Locker and it has very similar "dog-teeth" that must ride on each other when the locker is "unlocked" like when turning coreners. These will eventually wear out, just liek the Lockrite from Powertrax.
          http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...cker/index.htm

Here is teh Eaton posi
          http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...iLSD/index.htm
          I do hear of these wearing out, and IIRC, the carbon fiber clutches cant be used with the optional 800lb preload springs.

and the True trac "torsen design"
          http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...trac/index.htm

peace
          Pauly
          97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

Comment

Have you considered any of the lunchbox lockers? They act just like a Detroit. Never tried any myself, but from what i understand they are strong enough for 90% of people, cheaper, and easier to install.

Comment

Always heard good things about the True Trac torsion differential. Buy one of those, but weld the spider gears together on the stock open rear in the mean time and see how long it'll last
              :fsg:
              95 Sierra C1500 SL (Sold to father-in-law)
              99 Suburban K1500 LT

Comment

I would get a posi, not a locker. But its up to you.

Originally posted by bigbob6988 View Post
                Eaton posi or Tru Trac. Detroit lockers are too expensive imo. Too expensive for a ten bolt. If you have a 14 FF the price is right, plus it's basically your only option for posi/locker.
                Auburn and Detroit are the only options I know of for a 10.5. An Auburn is like 700 bucks though. But thats what Im going to end up with in mine, I dont want a full detroit with a loose converter, it'll be locked any time the truck is moving.

Originally posted by wyo_driver4 View Post
                Have you considered any of the lunchbox lockers? They act just like a Detroit. Never tried any myself, but from what i understand they are strong enough for 90% of people, cheaper, and easier to install.
                I wouldnt.
                2001 rcsb Z71 06 clip, lowered, 6.0 LQ9, p&p 241s, cam, PI3600, LPP long tubes, etc. Tuned by TJ of Baker Engineering Inc - SOLD
                1989 rcsb 4x4, solid axled, HP44/14ff, 4.88s, 35s/20s

Comment

The lunchbox lockers are really for someone on the cheap side without alot of power and not alot of use.

When you say you drive on and offroad, how much do you do? Is it mostly street or mostly offroad? What is your idea of offroad?

If you want all out offroad performance, then the locker would be better choice. The only real option for a locker is a Detroit Locker. I've never heard of anyone breaking one. But I have heard of people breaking a lunchbox locker or their factory carrier using a lunchbox locker.

If the truck sees mostly the street and when you offroad its nothing extreme a limited slip would be fine.

If you have enough money and still can't decide, then maybe a selectable locker is a good choice for you.
                  Last edited by 94_c/1500; 09-05-2010, 03:14 PM.
                  sigpic
                  1994 GMC Sierra SL
                  V6 performance
                  http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...nce-parts.html

Comment

i think im puting a 3/4 ton 14 bolt in the rear but that mite be alittle...... im thinking a limited slip.. i heard bad things bout lockers in the winter.

Comment

Lockers would help you out in deep snow, but on ice and packed snow they can be a bit tricky.

There are 2 3/4 ton 14 bolts that came in these trucks. One is semifloating and one is full floating. Neither of them came in the 2wd 1/2 ton lug pattern.
                      Last edited by 94_c/1500; 09-05-2010, 05:00 PM.
                      sigpic
                      1994 GMC Sierra SL
                      V6 performance

Comment

idk if its full or semi its coming out of an truck a gen before this truck to. im getting some noise out of the transmission to a very low deep grounding sound when letting off to go around a bend.

Comment

Originally posted by 94_c/1500 View Post
                          There are 2 3/4 ton 14 bolts that came in these trucks. One is semifloating and one is full floating. Neither of them came in the 2wd 1/2 ton lug pattern.
                          wrong. 454 SS trucks came with a 14SF with a 5 on 5 lug pattern... aftermarket shafts are available, so its completely possible to build one using a 6 lug 3/4 ton 14SF.
                          77 Chevy K20 - 80 GMC K2500 (in pieces)
                          90 Chevy K3500 - 93 Chevy C2500 (in pieces) - 94 Chevy K1500

Comment

Personally, I would never run a lunchbox locker in any rear application.I just don't think they are strong enough, and by the time you've blown up the first one and replaced it, you could have had a full carrier replacement locker or limited slip.
                            2005 Tahoe Z71
                            2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Comment

Originally posted by GreaseDog View Post
                              wrong. 454 SS trucks came with a 14SF with a 5 on 5 lug pattern... aftermarket shafts are available, so its completely possible to build one using a 6 lug 3/4 ton 14SF.
                              I almost said something about the SS rearend, but he did say a 3/4 ton 14 bolt so I didn't bother saying anything about it.
                              sigpic
                              1994 GMC Sierra SL
                              V6 performance

Comment

Working...
                              X