Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shorty headers vs stock manifolds

Okay I have been reading and reading for some time now. And my qeustion basically is this:
    Do or Are Shorty Headers better than the stock manifolds on a 2004 GMC Sierra with a 5.3 in it?

Re: Shorty headers vs stock manifolds

long tube is the best way to go for power
    DD: 2008 TB LS/LT Sport Nose Job
    Garage Queen: 2005 Blown/Cam/LT/2600/500+ RWHP/12 Sec Club Silverado VHO

sigpic

Comment

go longtubes or keep your manifolds, shorties may offer little gains but are a headache in my opinion. Ive only had mine a month or two and Im already planning to ditch them next time I get the cash for some thorleys. The flanges on my edelbrocks never sealed properly and Im having to get them welded to the downpipe for the time being.
      Last edited by tex2500; 12-01-2008, 02:45 PM.
      2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 CCSB, 6.0, 4L80E

2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI

Comment

Originally posted by timber74wolf
        Okay I have been reading and reading for some time now. And my qeustion basically is this:
        Do or Are Shorty Headers better than the stock manifolds on a 2004 GMC Sierra with a 5.3 in it?
        On the 99+ trucks, no, shorties will offer no improvement over the stock exhaust manifolds.
        08 HHR LS - 2.2 | 5 speed | 30 MPG

98 K1500 Z71 - 204k | L31 | 60E | 3.73's | 3" BL | 33x12.5x15 Dick Cepek F-C II's | Dynomax Ultra Flo X DI/DO | 14 MPG

84 S15 Jimmy 2dr 4x4 - engine/tranny all rebuilt

Comment

i just put shorties on my 08 made a nice sound difference alot crisper sounding but i wasnt after power as much as alittle better tone
          08 silverado 4x4 ext cab/sb 4.8 AIRRAID
          cors sport cathack .JBA stainless Shorties ORY , tune by hutter performance RC 3 lift 17x9 dc1s and 33x11.5 copper stts 6000k HIDs alot more to list

can never leave it alone :)

Comment

Originally posted by ddsz71
            i just put shorties on my 08 made a nice sound difference alot crisper sounding but i wasnt after power as much as alittle better tone
            You put headers on a truck for a different sound?

peace
            PAuly
            97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

Comment

I have some JBA shorties on my truck I have had them on since about 15k miles I now have 62K miles and I haven't had any problems with them, no leaks, and I haven't had to do anything to them. Longtubes can give you more power but depending on emissions laws they are not C.A.R.B legal. I used to live in Dallas but I can't remember how strict the laws are there so I would check on that. I got more power out of mine, yeah it's not much only like 10 or 15hp but's it does make a difference and it did help with mileage
              http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/v...54384e1a47.jpg

Comment

that and i wanted to make the engine compartment look nicer i knew not to expect a whole lot of hp or tq but it did make a nice difference when i jump on it
                cors sport cathack .JBA stainless Shorties ORY , tune by hutter performance RC 3 lift 17x9 dc1s and 33x11.5 copper stts 6000k HIDs alot more to list

Comment

Originally posted by smokinsilverado
                  I have some JBA shorties on my truck I have had them on since about 15k miles I now have 62K miles and I haven't had any problems with them, no leaks, and I haven't had to do anything to them. Longtubes can give you more power but depending on emissions laws they are not C.A.R.B legal. I used to live in Dallas but I can't remember how strict the laws are there so I would check on that. I got more power out of mine, yeah it's not much only like 10 or 15hp but's it does make a difference and it did help with mileage
                  JBA's use a cone shaped flow enhancer (I have heard them called merge bullets before) where all 4 pipes merge at the collector for better scavenging which is the main reason they make better power over other shorties, they also cost about $700 if you want ceramic coating so unless you have to go with shorties (C.A.R.B. legality reasons, etc) go with longtubes, you can snag a set of ceramic coated hooker super comps or thorley tri-y's for less than that.
                  Only reason I got shorties was because my manifolds had warped and needed to be replaced.

Comment

i got my stainless ones for 383 from summit

Comment

wow! they're a lot cheaper for the NNBS trucks

stainless unfinished for my 6.0 is $500+ ceramic start around $700

Comment

Yeah the JBA shorties are probably the best ones I don't remember how I paid for mine but it wasn't 700 I just got the stainless steal if I remember right they were 350.00 but I did get them from a place I already had bought a bunch of stuff from so I know I did get a discount.
                        http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/v...54384e1a47.jpg

Comment

Okay that info does help me a bit. I am still undecided as of yet. So here is my next question regarding the long tube headers... I have heard that if you put the long tube headers on your truck you lose low end torque. Is this true? And for an everyday driver would it be too much of a loss?

Comment

Longtubes are supposed to boost the low end power and response. At least that's what I've been taught.

As for the shorties being better than stock manifolds. Yes, any shorty is going to be better than what is on there now. The stock manifolds have come a long way, but they are not a shorty header made out of cast iron, not even close.
                            00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

Comment

Originally posted by timber74wolf
                              Okay that info does help me a bit. I am still undecided as of yet. So here is my next question regarding the long tube headers... I have heard that if you put the long tube headers on your truck you lose low end torque. Is this true? And for an everyday driver would it be too much of a loss?
                              Go with thorley tri-y's you'll see a noticeable jump in low end torque, thats what they are designed for

Comment

Working...
                              X