Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

350 vortec heads on tbi 305

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 350 vortec heads on tbi 305

    will it work ok, I am in the process of rebuilding my 305 and found some salvagable 906 vortec heads, from what i have read i will have to mill the heads.....but how much and i planned on using stock pistons but would i benefit from using flat tops? is it even worth it to retrofit the 350 heads on....at this point i do not want to buy a 350 block so trying to make due with what I have found for cheap....your opinions are greatly appreciated. I will be using the edelbrock 2102, and plan on either a ebl or tbi chip. What are your thoughts? should i just keep the stock heads?

  • #2
    Re: 350 vortec heads on tbi 305

    If you can get them for a really good price (aka 150 or less) then get them, and use them on a 350. Do some mild bowl work on the 305 heads and reuse them for now... I understand you're in a rebuild process but a 350 is one of the easiest ways of going up in displacement without spending a lot of money.
    Last edited by Doober; 03-25-2012, 02:22 AM.

    '92 Sierra (TBI 383/Vortecs/Comp 08-412-8/EBL/4L60/3.08s), '78 Malibu (Vortec'd 350/4-speed/2.29s), '87 Pontiac Fiero GT (2.8 v6/5-speed)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 350 vortec heads on tbi 305

      Originally posted by Doober View Post
      If you can get them for a really good price (aka 150 or less) then get them, and use them on a 350. Do some mild bowl work on the 305 heads and reuse them for now... I understand you're in a rebuild process but a 350 is one of the easiest ways of going up in displacement without spending a lot of money.
      They were free so I couldn't say no, another question, will the vortec heads fit on any 350 block I found a 350 block on Craigslist for 40 bucks just not sure of the year and what not. I would rather find a complete 350 and buy the eagle 400 crank for a 383. Will that cam work well with a 383. And if I do Put the 305 back together with some port work, full exhaust that can and a tune could I expect signicant power gains

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 350 vortec heads on tbi 305

        It would probably run quite a bit better but the 305s have more valve shrouding than the 350swhich hurts airflow Plus I forfot to mention the 350 heads may not work because the 305 heads actually had smaller valves. The Vortec heads will work on any 350 except the LT1 style blocks.

        '92 Sierra (TBI 383/Vortecs/Comp 08-412-8/EBL/4L60/3.08s), '78 Malibu (Vortec'd 350/4-speed/2.29s), '87 Pontiac Fiero GT (2.8 v6/5-speed)

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 350 vortec heads on tbi 305

          Originally posted by Doober View Post
          It would probably run quite a bit better but the 305s have more valve shrouding than the 350swhich hurts airflow Plus I forfot to mention the 350 heads may not work because the 305 heads actually had smaller valves. The Vortec heads will work on any 350 except the LT1 style blocks.
          Well I found a complete 92 350 for 50 bucks so I am going with that, but now my next question is how hard is it to go to 383 just the eagle crank or is there more to be done that I am not seeing?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 350 vortec heads on tbi 305




            Found this on craigslist, for 50$ so I believe I will be going with a 383 stroker ...and ebl,,,but will I need a 454 tbi? And what intake is good? I dont need any emission parts. Still going with the 2102 edelbrock cam. what do you think?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 350 vortec heads on tbi 305

              Eagle has QC issues. Scat makes better parts. You will have machine work to do to clear the .25" stroke increase. It isn't a bolt in and go modification.
              '96 K1500 SUBURBAN

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 350 vortec heads on tbi 305

                Originally posted by SUBURBIAN View Post
                Eagle has QC issues. Scat makes better parts. You will have machine work to do to clear the .25" stroke increase. It isn't a bolt in and go modification.
                So if i buy this crank, have my block ground to clear, and use an externally balanced balancer, can i use my stock rods and pistons?

                http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCAT-CAST-CR...e8d993&vxp=mtr
                Last edited by 88blackchevy; 03-26-2012, 08:09 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 350 vortec heads on tbi 305

                  either the pistons or the rods have to go. The increase in stroke requires a shorter rod, or a piston with the wrist pin moved up. Otherwise the piston would come out of the block at tdc.
                  Originally posted by 88blackchevy View Post
                  So if i buy this crank, have my block ground to clear, and use an externally balanced balancer, can i use my stock rods and pistons?

                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCAT-CAST-CR...e8d993&vxp=mtr

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 350 vortec heads on tbi 305

                    what are some economy pistons to look for?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 350 vortec heads on tbi 305

                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-CHEVY-HY...0b6102&vxp=mtr

                      are these good for pump gas?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 350 vortec heads on tbi 305

                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-383-Pist...9b4771&vxp=mtr

                        actually these quote me 9.6 to 1 with 64cc heads (which is what I believe the stock vortecs are) and a 5.7 rod

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 350 vortec heads on tbi 305

                          Those will work, gotta get the block bored though.
                          Originally posted by 88blackchevy View Post
                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-383-Pist...9b4771&vxp=mtr

                          actually these quote me 9.6 to 1 with 64cc heads (which is what I believe the stock vortecs are) and a 5.7 rod

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 350 vortec heads on tbi 305

                            Those will work, gotta get the block bored though.
                            Originally posted by 88blackchevy View Post
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-383-Pist...9b4771&vxp=mtr

                            actually these quote me 9.6 to 1 with 64cc heads (which is what I believe the stock vortecs are) and a 5.7 rod

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 350 vortec heads on tbi 305

                              awesome I will order them soon on another note i got my tbi spacer today,,,not a substantial delivery, but hey, its something.

                              also how do i balance this thing? just buy a 400 balancer?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X