Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake manifold for vortec heads and tbi

Im just wondering what people are having the best luck with the GMPP intake or buying a carb intake and adapter for tbi. As far as price its alot cheaper to go carb style but im wanting to know if there is any advantage to buying the GM performance intake. I have a 355 c.i., tbi, vortec heads, 510 lift comp cam, 9.5;1 compression.
    sigpic91 Ex-cab SB TBI 355 bored .030, 9.5:1 Flat tops, Vortec Heads, Roller Comp Cam, Lunati RR, Summer Intake, TB Spacer w/pod spacer & Ported TB, AFPR, Hedman Hedders LT, 3" Magnaflow, Fully built 700R4, 2400 stall, 3.42s w/Eaton LSD

Re: Intake manifold for vortec heads and tbi

I went with the GMPP intake, mainly for the EGR valve port, so as to pass smog. Not sure, but I don't think the other option has the EGR port?

Comment

yeah the other doesnt have it but i doent have to worry about smog in Ks. lol but How do you like the GMPP? any limitation or restrictions you feel?
      sigpic91 Ex-cab SB TBI 355 bored .030, 9.5:1 Flat tops, Vortec Heads, Roller Comp Cam, Lunati RR, Summer Intake, TB Spacer w/pod spacer & Ported TB, AFPR, Hedman Hedders LT, 3" Magnaflow, Fully built 700R4, 2400 stall, 3.42s w/Eaton LSD

Comment

My GMPP intake seems to be just fine, but I still haven't gotten the little bug out of the idle. Have someone working on it, and it looks like we are one the right track, hopefully soon it will have the smooth as glass idle a stock truck would have. Right now, I get a small hiccup in the idle, every 1.5 seconds or so, and it seems the longer it sits and idles, the worse it will get. Not sure if this is related to the intake, my tuner doesn't believe so. Anyway, I am glad I spent the extra money, and got the right part, as close to OEM as possible,(made by GM).

Comment

Awesome thanks for the help! Hope you get it smoothed out soon!

Comment

there's really only the gm one but it aint cheap, best thing is just buy the vortec intake for carb and then buy the carb to tbi adapter plate, alot cheaper
            sigpic
            Chris

88 K1500 RCSB work in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by swanie2000 View Post
              My GMPP intake seems to be just fine, but I still haven't gotten the little bug out of the idle. Have someone working on it, and it looks like we are one the right track, hopefully soon it will have the smooth as glass idle a stock truck would have. Right now, I get a small hiccup in the idle, every 1.5 seconds or so, and it seems the longer it sits and idles, the worse it will get. Not sure if this is related to the intake, my tuner doesn't believe so. Anyway, I am glad I spent the extra money, and got the right part, as close to OEM as possible,(made by GM).
              anything done to your bottom end, i put a HV oil pump and i was doing the same thing, switched it out to stock and it fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arealgloza View Post
                anything done to your bottom end, i put a HV oil pump and i was doing the same thing, switched it out to stock and it fixed it.
                your oil pump has nothing to do with idle...

1978 K20 RCLB, 400 SBC, 4-Speed, Lifted
                1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, Coupe

Comment

Everyone has had a problem with the vortec heads before tuning. The best place to start would be to look into the factory Prom of a 96 G2500 van, which was a factory Vortec TBI.
                  1986 K10 Suburban
                  350,TBI
                  CFM-Tech Super Sucker
                  Jet AFPR
                  TBI heads
                  Comp 12-388-4(260H)cam
                  3" Walker quietflow SS exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by BlacK20 View Post
                    your oil pump has nothing to do with idle...
                    Well you are dead wrong about that. The drag produced by a HV pump can lower idle, then it is up to the ECM to try to correct it.
                    :naughty: Nutkick? :nutkick:

Comment

Originally posted by 1.721afr View Post
                      Well you are dead wrong about that. The drag produced by a HV pump can lower idle, then it is up to the ECM to try to correct it.
                      noted for future refrence
                      [Stole/FOUND 13/03/08 :O)
                      91GM 4x4 excb 5.7 @ 40 over, Westers,Eld 3704.Lunati Trickflow 195 @1.6 RR,Walpro 190/overbuilt 700r4 /TCS TC,4.10/tru trac,14 blt,Hooker LT,areofilter,Extreme TBI.MSD.AGR still adding
                      07/ 6.7 Cummins..truck included
                      70 fury 3
                      71 sport fury GT

Comment

Hv oil pumps pump the lifters open a tad at idle causing a vaccum leak and trucks rpm move up and down...mine was doin the same thing till i swapped oil pumps..

Comment

This is very good info, never considered the oil pump as a possible issue. I will look into this, and pass the info on to my tuner.

"The best place to start would be to look into the factory Prom of a 96 G2500 van, which was a factory Vortec TBI."

I didn't know the 1996 G2500 van was a factory Vortec TBI? I was under the impression that there never was a FACTORY vortec TBI. Will have to research this further. You wouldn't happen to have the BIN of this mysterious factory vortec TBI, would you?
                          Last edited by swanie2000; 02-10-2012, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arealgloza View Post
                            Hv oil pumps pump the lifters open a tad at idle causing a vaccum leak and trucks rpm move up and down...mine was doin the same thing till i swapped oil pumps..
                            Are you saying you have a Vortec TBI as well? AND swapping out the HV pump for a stock pump fixed the stumble/hiccup in the idle?

Comment

Originally posted by 1.721afr View Post
                              thats a long shot, just imho, sounds more like the guy changed the oil pump and fixed his idle when he put the distributor back in.

1978 K20 RCLB, 400 SBC, 4-Speed, Lifted
                              1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X