Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

two link rear suspension

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • two link rear suspension

    Ive looked all over the site, and I cant find any threads on making your own two link rear suspension. Anyone know of one?

    Thanks,

    Corey




    '96 Chevy ECSB 5.7/4l60e
    '90 Chevy SCSB 5.7/4L60 Vortec heads, Edelbrock 2116, LT1 roller cam, Ultimate TBI mods-DD
    '95 Chevy SCSB LT1 with TPI manifold 4L60E

  • #2
    Re: two link rear suspension

    Well, the design of a two link is awful and that's probably why you aren't finding anything on it. Your pinion angle will only be correct at ride height and the mounting points of the link bars will be working against themselves when you go over bumps in the road (the bars are solidly connected to the axle, when one side of the axle goes up, the other will want to follow). Those are the cons of the design, but if you still want to build it Im sure someone else here will chime in.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: two link rear suspension

      Well the irst problem is there is no design required. Its 2 bars with bushings at one end (on each) and then U-bolted solid to the axle at the other. Then you either cross brace between the 2 bars or run a panhard bar to keep the axle as centered as possible. If you plan on this route you should make the bars and the panhard as long as possible.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: two link rear suspension

        Originally posted by scott-885
        Then you either cross brace between the 2 bars
        that would be a one link... that would be amazing, I bet i would three wheel going into my driveway everytime...

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: two link rear suspension

          Originally posted by Low88
          that would be a one link... that would be amazing, I bet i would three wheel going into my driveway everytime...
          theirs a mini truck company that does it that way, i don't understand how hard mounting a bar from one side of the 2link bars to the other would do anything because the 2link bars them selfs are hard mounted to the axle?

          anyone else see what im getting at?

          the company is silerstar or something like that
          and i say mini truck company because alot of mini truckers are ghetto like that

          if custom is a good place to see what a 2link is since thats the only thing they put on their trucks, but don't use the stock bushing like they do, ghetto

          gets some from
          http://www.suicidedoors.com/4-LinkWeldonBarEnds.php

          the bars are 32.5 or 33inches center to center but double check to make sure

          a 2link will ride like:jackass:
          and u won't be happy with the ride and will probably think bags suck just because the 2link blows real bad

          i have a 2link on my obs and as soon as i can get the truck shipped up here to alaska the 2link is coming off for a
          http://www.suicidedoors.com/Parallel4-LinkKit.php

          peace
          84 classic mini cooper, rhd, built vtec swap. qa1 coilovers, 6point roll cage, 13inch weller rims on yoko rubber

          37 chevy truck, in the works

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: two link rear suspension

            i copped out and bought an IF 2 link. their link bars are angled to help with pinion angle issues. not much but it does help alittle. just make sure you make the bars long enough and you really wont have any issues. ive had my two link coming up on 17 months. no problems ever as far as the actual 2 link goes.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: two link rear suspension

              a 2link will ride like:jackass:
              and u won't be happy with the ride and will probably think bags suck just because the 2link blows real bad
              please ignore this idiotic remark.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: two link rear suspension

                Originally posted by joakwin
                theirs a mini truck company that does it that way, i don't understand how hard mounting a bar from one side of the 2link bars to the other would do anything because the 2link bars them selfs are hard mounted to the axle?
                It would work, but the bar(s) couldnt be run straight across. Their would be too much lateral force.

                The only time i would ever consider using a two link is when cars are produced strictly with engines perpendicular to the frame and a chain is ran from the flexplate back to an axle with a sprocket. But that is just effing ridiculous to even consider.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: two link rear suspension

                  The only issue I see with a 2-link vs. a parallel 4-link is the pinion change. If your bars are long enough, and you arent really pulling a whole lot of travel, you can get away with a 2-link.

                  A 2-link with bags over axle with long link bars would be fine, so long as your pinion is perfect at ride height. This would "work" because you are only going to have like 8" of suspension travel.

                  For example, with long enough 2-link bars, that 8" of travel would only amount to 8 degrees or so of pinion change. If your pinion at ride height is set at 0, fully compressed or extended, your pinion will remain in a -4* - +4* range.

                  The long and the short of it is that a 2-link will "work" decent enough if you are:

                  A: broke
                  B: happy with very little lift
                  C: like the way a truck with air over axle rides


                  If you want to mount your bags leverage style, I would get a 4link, or start a savings account for some new drivetrain components.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: two link rear suspension

                    Originally posted by joakwin
                    a 2link will ride like:jackass:
                    and u won't be happy with the ride and will probably think bags suck just because the 2link blows real bad

                    i have a 2link on my obs and as soon as i can get the truck shipped up here to alaska the 2link is coming off for a
                    http://www.suicidedoors.com/Parallel4-LinkKit.php

                    peace
                    Could you explain your logic on why a parallel 4link will "ride" better than a 2link?


                    The way i see it, Assuming your bags are mounted in the same place with your two link that they would be with the four link, and also assuming your bars are close to or the same length, you truck is going to ride the same...The only advantage that 4-link has over a 2-link is that it will hold the pinion better.

                    Too many people these days are quick to pull the "2-link sucks" flag out. I bet half of the people talking **** on them haven't ever personally dealt with 2links, or suspension design in general. Everybody is working off of hearsay. Geometrically, the only difference is a 4link will hold your pinion angle, while a 2link will not. Here is a loaded statement for the doubters, Prove me wrong on my last statement. I am down for a serious intelligent discussion about suspension geometry with people that are working off of more than hearsay, but experience. I have solidworks files ready to defend my case.
                    Last edited by Low88; 03-03-2006, 11:54 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: two link rear suspension

                      Originally posted by Low88
                      Could you explain your logic on why a parallel 4link will "ride" better than a 2link?


                      The way i see it, Assuming your bags are mounted in the same place with your two link that they would be with the four link, and also assuming your bars are close to or the same length, you truck is going to ride the same...The only advantage that 4-link has over a 2-link is that it will hold the pinion better.
                      If the 2-link was built properly you would have ZERO side to side movement. If one wheel goes up, they both go up. If you can hit sides with a 2-link you are twisting the **** out of your frame. That right there is enough reason to not want one.
                      Buy me

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: two link rear suspension

                        If you dont need side to side a two link is just fine. If you bars are long enough your pinion angle won't change enough to matter. You actually only drive with a 6 to 8 inch height difference you can easily keep your pinion angle happy in that range. When your playing really low or really high you shouldn't be going fast enough that the pinion angle will matter as long is the u-joint isn't hitting the yolk(only seen that on a lifted truck with a hack job driveshaft). As far as lift it all matters with where you mount the bags. I had a two link on my burb I hit sides all the time when I pulled it apart the bushings where junk but the mounts and frame where fine. It rode great. The bars where 49 inches long and the panhard was about 38. So if you are on a budjet or want simplicity go with the two link, use the stock suspension bushing for your bar then you can get replacements at any auto parts store. As far as driveways and stuff the 67-73 trucks had a two link stock and I don't see any problems and they have been on the road for almost 40 years.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: two link rear suspension

                          Originally posted by Mike
                          If the 2-link was built properly you would have ZERO side to side movement. If one wheel goes up, they both go up. If you can hit sides with a 2-link you are twisting the **** out of your frame. That right there is enough reason to not want one.
                          How would a parallel 4link allow the axle to "hit sides" without super pivots? It would be the same as a 2link. I have a few models of parallel 4links "as proper as you can get" becuase they are on a computer. With the mates set, and in its range of motion, it will not have any side to side travel. the whole axle moves as one. I know that it is different in the real world, Im just saying that 4 links by design don't allow side to side movement either.
                          Last edited by Low88; 03-03-2006, 02:14 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: two link rear suspension

                            I don't think he's saying you want side to side movement, but that you want each side to be able to move indepentently. If the links are solid mounted to the axle and you hit the bags on that side, or encounter a situation where you need the axle to drop down into a dip and the rear tires hit the dip at different times, you will end up with 1 wheel in the air or a twisted frame and toasted bushings.

                            With a 4-link and panhard, the panhard keeps the axle centered and having a joint on each end of each link will allow smooth movement of each side of the axle when in a situation that I described above. So, a 2-link will "work" just as the others were saying, but there are more advantages to a 4-link than just maintaining pinion angle.

                            Darren
                            89 RCSB Dana 60/14 Bolt 4-lnk frnt/rr, 39.5's/14" Welds, 5.13, Truetrac/Detroit, AEM Intake, Holley 670 TBI, Holley Mnfld, Shorties, 40 series, no cat. 98 2wd 355, lt4 hotcam, 1.6 rllr rckrs



                            Project Pics:
                            http://community.webshots.com/album/366426764ygYniE

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: two link rear suspension

                              Originally posted by darren250r
                              I don't think he's saying you want side to side movement, but that you want each side to be able to move indepentently. If the links are solid mounted to the axle and you hit the bags on that side, or encounter a situation where you need the axle to drop down into a dip and the rear tires hit the dip at different times, you will end up with 1 wheel in the air or a twisted frame and toasted bushings.

                              With a 4-link and panhard, the panhard keeps the axle centered and having a joint on each end of each link will allow smooth movement of each side of the axle when in a situation that I described above. So, a 2-link will "work" just as the others were saying, but there are more advantages to a 4-link than just maintaining pinion angle.

                              Darren
                              I understand that a parallel 4link will yield some independent movement of each side, but its nature by design is not to allow that at all. The only reason a parallel 4link with normal bushings has any independent movement is because of the bushings themselves. As long as a two link has bushings on the ends, it will yield the same amount of independent movement as a parallel 4-link.

                              A triangulated 4link is better, because both a 2 link and a parallel 4link have 0 anti-squat, and a triangulated 4link is more conducive to the independent movement that you speak of, especially with super pivots.
                              Last edited by Low88; 03-03-2006, 03:45 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X