Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBS 4/6 C Notch question

Has anyone ever just welded in this piece from the bolt in c-notch?
    It seems like it would be a lot cleaner, just as strong if welded in and you wouldn't have to dick around with trimming the bed rail to clear the top of the bolt in notch. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by SS350Sport; 01-19-2009, 11:20 AM. Reason: added pictures
    91 C1500 SPORT, 5.7, 700R4
    :FSC:

Re: OBS 4/6 C Notch question

The only problem I can see is that if you just use that small section of the notch to weld in, you don't have as much distribution of the load across that whole chunk of metal. If you welded that section in and boxed the area around it, you'd probably be fine.

Darren
    Last edited by darren250r; 01-17-2009, 12:45 PM.
    89 RCSB Dana 60/14 Bolt 4-lnk frnt/rr, 39.5's/14" Welds, 5.13, Truetrac/Detroit, AEM Intake, Holley 670 TBI, Holley Mnfld, Shorties, 40 series, no cat. 98 2wd 355, lt4 hotcam, 1.6 rllr rckrs

Project Pics:
    http://community.webshots.com/album/366426764ygYniE

Comment

Boxing it is a good idea. All I would have to do is cut straight up the sides from the bottom ends of the notch and turn it around, I would have the plate for the box already welded to the notch portion.
      Last edited by SS350Sport; 01-17-2009, 12:53 PM.

Comment

You would want to box the whole backside of the frame at least 6" or so to the left and right (looking at the picture) of the notch. The frame section you cut out isn't gonna be nearly enought material to give you the strength necessary. You're best bet would be to weld that notch in and then trace the shape of the frame onto a piece of 1/8" (min) thick sheet metal. Cut out the piece and weld it to the back side of your frame.

Darren
        89 RCSB Dana 60/14 Bolt 4-lnk frnt/rr, 39.5's/14" Welds, 5.13, Truetrac/Detroit, AEM Intake, Holley 670 TBI, Holley Mnfld, Shorties, 40 series, no cat. 98 2wd 355, lt4 hotcam, 1.6 rllr rckrs

Project Pics:

Comment

SS350Sport, sorry for the :jacked: but DARREN250R I just got done looking at your build up of your suspension WAY COOL MAN:rocking:

I just had to tell darren250r that
          Last edited by 5.7L JWL; 01-17-2009, 05:52 PM.

'98 ECSB, Edel Headers, Magnaflow Cats/CatBack
          K&N, Pully, Ign.Kit, D/S Rotors, SS Lines, BB 89 Tune
          Built 4L60E w/ Vigilante 2800 Stall
          http://photobucket.com/R3215T3R/ (Toyvrolet Drag Truck/S-10 Drag Truck)Pics.

Comment

I hope you feel better now..

Comment

Re: OBS 4/6 C Notch Update with Pictures

I had the C notch's ready to bolt in and started to think of a cleaner way to install them when I posted the question here. darren250r gave me the suggestion to box in the frame and here is what I came up with. I will post more when finished.

Ready to bolt in.

Here are the cuts I made, basically took off the top and bottom flanges

Tacked in place

Top view

Side view

Comment

Re: OBS 4/6 C Notch Update with Pictures

Nice man. That's exactly what I was picturing when I was explaining it. That worked out well using the cut up notch instead of plate steel. I would go the same route if I was to put a c-notch in...much cleaner than a bolt-in. Probably stronger too.

Darren

Thanks JWL
                Last edited by darren250r; 01-18-2009, 08:00 PM.

Project Pics:

Comment

Originally posted by SS350Sport
                  I hope you feel better now..

Not really.
                  Just givin' credit.:aniteef:

'98 ECSB, Edel Headers, Magnaflow Cats/CatBack
                  K&N, Pully, Ign.Kit, D/S Rotors, SS Lines, BB 89 Tune
                  Built 4L60E w/ Vigilante 2800 Stall
                  http://photobucket.com/R3215T3R/ (Toyvrolet Drag Truck/S-10 Drag Truck)Pics.

Comment

Re: OBS 4/6 C Notch Finished pictures

I finished up the welding today. I think it will look a lot cleaner when painted and put back together. I also welded nuts on the inside of the frame rails and on top of the notch for my upper bag mount and the bump stops.

Back view

Nuts welded in:

Comment

Nice clean workmanship. I like it. But, do those standard size frame rail notches actually provide enough clearance, to keep the rear-end from bottoming out, when doing a straight 6" axle flip?

Comment

Originally posted by LS1GMCTruck
                        Nice clean workmanship. I like it. But, do those standard size frame rail notches actually provide enough clearance, to keep the rear-end from bottoming out, when doing a straight 6" axle flip?
                        I can't say for sure, until I start driving it. But I would guess the answer will be yes. I do have some helper bags that will be installed and inflated for when I'm hauling a new project home.

Comment

Great idea, that looks awesome.
                          Nice work.

Comment

Good Job

Darren

Project Pics:

Comment

Nice work man! I had that notch on my obs ext. cab with a 4/6 and it would hit over bumps. That was my experience, I had to install a super c-notch. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X