Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5.3L oil filter...is there a longer version?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.3L oil filter...is there a longer version?

Im ready to do my first oil change on the 5.3L, the manual says PF46 but damn that thing looks like the size of the filter on my lawn tractor.....does anyone have a # for a longer version?

Also....are WIX filters any good?
    2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 RCSB LT1, 2" level kit, 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    2001 Silverado LS EXT with HD Front Conversion, 35k original miles

Re: 5.3L oil filter...is there a longer version?

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...highlight=pf59

Comment

I just use the Mobil 1 filter - MI-206
      why do you want a longer filter?
      2012 Chevy Volt - Red
      2007 Trailblazer SS - Red Jewel SOLD
      2000 GMC Sierra Z71 SOLD // Michigan Classics // My Garage // My ebay auctions
      Hot Rod Search

Comment

so your saying PF59 ? :crazy:
        2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 RCSB LT1, 2" level kit, 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers

Comment

Originally posted by JB
          so your saying PF59 ? :crazy:
          no i searched pf59...hehe...cause I couldn't remember if it was pf58 or 9, but the 9 is the one with the antidrain back valve and that's the one you want...pf58 doesn't have an adbv.

Comment

Hmmm, well searching around fram they call for a different filter for the 2005's than my old 2000 so apparently GM did make some sorta change.

Comment

I just got a PF61 for my 99 4.8l. Is that the right one? I thought it was PF59 but they didnt have one at Auto Zone. The book there said PF61. Who's correct?

Jason
              The opinions expressed above are purely my own.

Comment

Well looking at WIX website, GM went to a smaller filter in 2003 but all the gasket dims and thread are the same as the longer version

99-2002 4.526" length
                2003-2005 3.404" length

Think this has anything to do with the tick-tick cold start?
                Last edited by JB; 07-11-2005, 03:24 PM.

Comment

i've used the pf59 since day one in my 2000, 2003, and 2004. I could never tell the difference (the 2003 and 2004 came with the short one). I like the added filtering.

07 silverado, 2" level kit, 295 nittos, 5% tint, linex

Comment

Originally posted by JB

No :LOL:

What is the advantage to running a taller filter other then the extra oil
                    2012 Chevy Volt - Red
                    2007 Trailblazer SS - Red Jewel SOLD
                    2000 GMC Sierra Z71 SOLD // Michigan Classics // My Garage // My ebay auctions
                    Hot Rod Search

Comment

Originally posted by JB

Nope. Not one bit. imo

Originally posted by gmcjoe
                      No :LOL:

What is the advantage to running a taller filter other then the extra oil
                      Me either.

Advantage of more filter area.

JB, if you got the longer one, is there any way that it would hang down lower than the oil pan? Maybe thats why?
                      02 gmc, ecsb, 5.3, 4.10's .... Averaging 25 mph.
                      6"rcd, 315's, 16x8's. Cognito idler/pitman arm brace with new arms. Replaced water pump, twice. Steering clunk... of course.

Comment

Just remember this, we tell our customers who ask about the filter difference. GM calls for a specific filter. If you change it and have engine problems down the road, filter related or not. GM can void the engine warranty for not using the proper filter. If you are not worried about this and have a close relationship with your dealership then go for it. Just a lil more oil capacity and a lil more filtering. Enough to make a noticeable difference? Probably not.

GARAGE:
                        03 Yukon
                        02 Tahoe "HDHOE"
                        09 Malibu
                        00 Impala
                        94 Z71
                        55 Chevy Stepside

Comment

Originally posted by Mark
                          .......... Just a lil more oil capacity and a lil more filtering. Enough to make a noticeable difference? Probably not.
                          I agree. Especially when you take into account frequent oil changes.

I have always just used the factory filter in all of my past GMs. When I found out that the factory oil filter in my 88 toyota was better than most every aftermarket filter at the time I stopped blindly buying Frams because they were "Frams" and started doing better research than just listening to my old-school friends.
                          02 gmc, ecsb, 5.3, 4.10's .... Averaging 25 mph.
                          6"rcd, 315's, 16x8's. Cognito idler/pitman arm brace with new arms. Replaced water pump, twice. Steering clunk... of course.

Comment

Originally posted by JB
                            Im ready to do my first oil change
                            Already have 3,000 miles JB? I would stick to the same size. Maybe go with a better brand like mobile1 or k&n.

Project- 1976 C-10 472 Cadillac Big Block
                            -Chad

Comment

No, I have 1000 miles now and I wanna get rid of the break-in oil and run mobil 1.

I even bought a GM mobil 1 labeled oil filler cap (got the # from gmcjoe) :crazy:

Comment

Working...
                              X