Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp Gauge Problem

Truck - 1993 C1500 Silverado, 5.7l, 4X2. 64K miles, owned since new.

Problem - Water temperature gauge quit working a couple of months ago. When starting the truck, the needle pegs to the right then moves far left and that's where it stays no matter how long the engine runs. No temp. reading at all.

Attempts to fix - 1. Replaced the temperature sending unit. Did not correct problem.

2. Removed instrument cluster and had tested at a certified rebuild shop. Reinstalled and had the same problem.

3. Replaced temperature sending unit again. Same problem.

Can someone please help me? This is driving me crazy. My Haynes manual doesn't offer any help.

Thanks to all.

Re: Temp Gauge Problem

it has to be the wiring or connectors going to it.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)

Comment

sounds like the wire going to sending unit is shorted straight to ground.
      2005 1500 CC 2WD
      DynoMax Ultraflo 3.5" Custom Exhaust
      Stock 3.73 G80
      TransGO HD2 Shift Kit/Corvette Servo/Yank TT3000
      Comp Cams 222/224 .566/.568 112LSA
      Pacesetter LT's
      Wheatley Live Tune

Comment

I checked the wiring at the sending unit with a volt/ohm meter. I have 5.1v, which is spec. Also, the yellow wire is not grounded. Think maybe the connector in the dash that the cluster plugs into is faulty? I don't know anything about how to get behind the panel and correct it if it is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by RBrooks
          Truck - 1993 C1500 Silverado, 5.7l, 4X2. 64K miles, owned since new.

Problem - Water temperature gauge quit working a couple of months ago. When starting the truck, the needle pegs to the right then moves far left and that's where it stays no matter how long the engine runs. No temp. reading at all.
          This is the normal procedure to let you know that the gauge is working.

You didn't mention whether or not you replaced the thermostat. If it's stuck open, you'll get practically no temp reading, regardless of how you run the truck. The temp gauge won't register at all till you hit 100-110 or so, and if your ambient temp is any less than 110, you won't get your engine to 110 degrees.

I found this out the hard way when my 'stat stuck open in sub-freezing, rainy/icy weather once... the engine didn't put out enough heat to even noticeably warm the heater. I had to fashion a grill cover to let it warm up enough till I could get to where I could change it.

Try this: bungee or tape half a flattened cardboard box in front of your radiator and see if the temp gauge comes up. If it does, you'll know your thermostat's bad.

-blaine

Comment

wait a minute. are you talking about the sensor or the sending unit. i may be wrong but the gauge is controlled by the sending unit in the driver's side head and it is a single wire.
            2005 1500 CC 2WD
            Stock 3.73 G80
            Pacesetter LT's
            Wheatley Live Tune

Comment

Thank You to pbraxton. My problem is solved. I wasn't aware of the engine coolant temperature switch on the block. Went to my local parts house and got one for $11.99. Installed it and voila!!! my temp gauge came to life. Since I was already in repair mode, I installed a new thermostat and gaskets, and flushed and filled the coolant. Hopefully, I'm good to go now. It'll be good to park the '03 gas hog (12-14mpg)and enjoy my 20mpg again.

In checking back in my Haynes, I found the switch listed in the emissions section. It shows a picture, but there is no text concerning it. Lotsa help that is.

Comment

Thank You to pbraxton. My problem is solved. I wasn't aware of the engine coolant temperature switch on the block. Went to my local parts house and got one for $11.99. Installed it and voila!!! my temp gauge came to life. Since I was already in repair mode, I installed a new thermostat and gaskets, and flushed and filled the coolant. Hopefully, I'm good to go now. It'll be good to park the '03 gas hog (12-14mpg)and enjoy my 20mpg again.

In checking back in my Haynes, I found the switch listed in the emissions section. It shows a picture, but there is no text concerning it. Lotsa help that is.
                hey man, no problem, when i first read this thread i didnt even think about that until you said something about voltage, then it hit me.
                2005 1500 CC 2WD
                Stock 3.73 G80
                Pacesetter LT's
                Wheatley Live Tune

Comment

Where on the block is the switch, My truck is doing the same thing. I read this thread yesterday and bought a switch but the only thing I found that looks like it is in the driver side head and only has one wire in it, the switch has two.
                  TIA
                  Last edited by Texas Z71; 10-20-2005, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Z71
                    Where on the block is the switch, My truck is doing the same thing. I read this thread yesterday and bought a switch but the only thing I found that looks like it is in the driver side head and only has one wire in it, the switch has two.
                    TIA
                    they gave you the sensor, not the switch.
                    2005 1500 CC 2WD
                    Stock 3.73 G80
                    Pacesetter LT's
                    Wheatley Live Tune

Comment

Where is the switch, I guess I will just change both of them

Comment

the sender for the gage is on the drivers side head right below the valve cover and between the first cylinders. when mine went out i gout one from orielys that looks like the one in the intake that they said is a replacment for the one wire sensor. it came with a new plug that you spliced the single wire onto one of the new plug wires and ran the other new plug wire to a ground.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Ogre25
                          the sender for the gage is on the drivers side head right below the valve cover and between the first cylinders. when mine went out i gout one from orielys that looks like the one in the intake that they said is a replacment for the one wire sensor. it came with a new plug that you spliced the single wire onto one of the new plug wires and ran the other new plug wire to a ground.
                          autozone sells the single wire switch. just make sure that is what they lookup. they have both listed differently in the computer. you shouldn't have to cut or wire anything. re-read this thread!
                          2005 1500 CC 2WD
                          Stock 3.73 G80
                          Pacesetter LT's
                          Wheatley Live Tune

Comment

where did you run the ground to

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Z71
                              where did you run the ground to
                              i wouldnt do it that way! besides if you do have the sensor and not the 2 wire switch, the ohmic values may be different and your temp guage will be inaccurate.
                              2005 1500 CC 2WD
                              Stock 3.73 G80
                              Pacesetter LT's
                              Wheatley Live Tune

Comment

Working...
                              X