Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6.0 vs. 5.3

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 6.0 vs. 5.3

    Looking into gettin a newer truck. Prob 2000-2002. I want ext cab 4x4 short bed. But i can't decide if i want a 2500hd with the 6.0 liter or a half-ton with the 5.3?

    Is there a pretty big power difference between the two? I tow some but no a lot usually just quads and snowmobiles. Anyone ever seen a race between the two? And how is the ride?

  • #2
    Re: 6.0 vs. 5.3

    I have driven my buddies 6.0 in his 1500HD quadsteer and his 2500HD and i used to have a 5.3. I couldnt tell a huge difference the 5.3 is a great engine i loved it.
    1998 Chevy Silverado EXT Cab Red. 33x12.50x15 Dunlop Mud Rovers 4"-6" Rancho Lift and Dual Exhaust

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 6.0 vs. 5.3

      I have driven both and I choose the 6.0L hands down.


      Much like alcohol, tobacco, and voting there should be an age requirement for computer usage.
      "Drag racing helps me get rid of all my extra cash."
      Team credit card holder and crew chief - "Hot Rod" Heather JD4193 & Holly "Wood" JD4145

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 6.0 vs. 5.3

        The 6.0 is the more powerful engine but you have to consider the 2500hd will be a good bit heavier than the 1500.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 6.0 vs. 5.3

          Originally posted by Atomic
          The 6.0 is the more powerful engine but you have to consider the 2500hd will be a good bit heavier than the 1500.
          This is exactly right. Also the 6.0 will consistantly get 3 mpg worse than the 5.3 because of the heavier truck. If you really want the 6.0 and don't need the 2500HD chassis I would look for a 1500HD or a 2500LD. Both have the 6.0 and will pull anything up to about 10K.

          Personally if you never plan to pull anything over about 6000 lbs. I would opt for the 1500 with the 5.3L. It has plenty of power.

          Sig courtesy of: ilikedirt
          2002 Chevrolet Z71 ECSB LT, 305/70-16 Toyo Open Country AT2's, 3" BL, Flex-a-lite 292 E-Fans

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 6.0 vs. 5.3

            If I had it to do all over again I'd choose the 5.3 in a 1500. If I was going to get a 2500HD, I'd get the 8.1/Allison vs the 6.0.
            _______________________________________
            2004 Suburban LT
            2004 Silverado LT

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 6.0 vs. 5.3

              You could also look at getting a 2wd e cab 1500 with the 6.0L. That option is RPO B4V, then you can get the 345 hp 380 lb/ft of torque LQ9 6.0.

              That 2500HD frame is about twice the size of the LD 1500 frame, the HD trucks only come withthe LQ4 engine with 300 hp and 360 lb/ft of torque. The extra 5 hp and 25 lb/ft would certainly be soaked up by the less effecient 4l80e trans of the HD, not even taking into account the much extra weight.

              OOps I just realized you want a 4x4m in that case get the Vortec max 6.0 LQ9 1500 4wd withthe 4l65e trans. That truck would be MUCH quicker than a 2500 LQ4. You diont have to sacrifice anymore to get the 6.0, get the Vortec max and get the hi-po 6.0LQ9 AND get the lighter weight 1500 4wd truck, you can have your cake and eat it too. You can thank the wide availability of teh 5.7L hemi in the Dodges for the 6.0 in a lot more 1500's this year.
              pauly
              97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 6.0 vs. 5.3

                Originally posted by Pauly
                You could also look at getting a 2wd e cab 1500 with the 6.0L. That option is RPO B4V, then you can get the 345 hp 380 lb/ft of torque LQ9 6.0.

                That 2500HD frame is about twice the size of the LD 1500 frame, the HD trucks only come withthe LQ4 engine with 300 hp and 360 lb/ft of torque. The extra 5 hp and 25 lb/ft would certainly be soaked up by the less effecient 4l80e trans of the HD, not even taking into account the much extra weight.

                OOps I just realized you want a 4x4m in that case get the Vortec max 6.0 LQ9 1500 4wd withthe 4l65e trans. That truck would be MUCH quicker than a 2500 LQ4. You diont have to sacrifice anymore to get the 6.0, get the Vortec max and get the hi-po 6.0LQ9 AND get the lighter weight 1500 4wd truck, you can have your cake and eat it too. You can thank the wide availability of teh 5.7L hemi in the Dodges for the 6.0 in a lot more 1500's this year.
                pauly





                Originally posted by Stevo
                Prob 2000-2002.
                :read:
                My Truck


                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 6.0 vs. 5.3

                  my dad has a 6.0 in a 2002 2500hd and its a damn good engine. it has entirely too much TM, but i think i'm gonna buy him a custom tune for xmas. i've ridden in plenty of half tons with the 5.3, and they are quicker, but i think its only because they are in a much lighter pickup. if you hooked the same amount of weight behind each truck, the 6.0 would win hands down. way more torque where you need it for towing.

                  if i was go get a truck i'd definately opt for the larger truck. if i wanted to get something good on gas i wouldn't get a truck in the first place, so you might as well get the bigger, better looking truck, IMO. 16mpg isn't too bad for a truck that size anyway.
                  89 K2500 w/ 383. TBI 383 w/ all the goodies. Dick Cepek 305/70s, 3" BL, 4.10s, EBL tuned by ME. Magnaflow exhaust....5" tips.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 6.0 vs. 5.3

                    I'm no expert, but I doubt there is a fuel economy difference in the 2500HD and the 2500, both with a 6.0. I think the HD just has the heavier diff and O/L springs

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 6.0 vs. 5.3

                      id go for the 5.3 half ton just for gas mileage...if you really want more power you can always do bolt ons to the 5.3 and not lose the mileage
                      1989 Silverado Project // 2013 GMC Sierra

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 6.0 vs. 5.3

                        Originally posted by 89stroker
                        if i was go get a truck i'd definately opt for the larger truck. if i wanted to get something good on gas i wouldn't get a truck in the first place, so you might as well get the bigger, better looking truck, IMO. 16mpg isn't too bad for a truck that size anyway.
                        Who gets 16 mpg with a 2500HD with the 6.0L?? Everybody I talk to says between 12-14 unloaded.

                        Sig courtesy of: ilikedirt
                        2002 Chevrolet Z71 ECSB LT, 305/70-16 Toyo Open Country AT2's, 3" BL, Flex-a-lite 292 E-Fans

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 6.0 vs. 5.3

                          I've read there is a little bit of lag on low-end with the 6.0. So im guessing the 5.3 would be quicker out of the hole? But once u get moving so kick it down at 55-60 which one would pull on the other.

                          Im not really too concerned on gas mileage, but i don't really pull that much heavy stuff, nothing that my 5.7 couldn't handle with ease. So maybe the 5.3 would be better for me, but i just love how the hds front's are and always have that extra towing if i need it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 6.0 vs. 5.3

                            I believe of 05 or maybe 06 1500s have the HD front end if you want to wait and get that year...if you do you could also get the LQ9 6.0

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 6.0 vs. 5.3

                              The 1/2 ton will ride better than the 3/4 ton.

                              The 3/4 ton is too much truck for the towing you do, so the additional cost of the truck itself, and gas mileage would be a waste.
                              When all is said and done, usually more is said.
                              '01 Chevy Silverado 1500 2wd 5.3 LS ECSB

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X