Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel interchange

I have an extra set of stock '98 Z71 wheels and I sold yesterday them to a guy who has an '00 Z. He called me this morning and said the tire shop told him they would not fit his truck. I've seen '00 and up wheels on earlier body styles. Is there a reason the '98's won't work on the new body style?

Thanks

Re: wheel interchange

The bolt pattern is the same, so I think the only issue might be that the wheels are too small. Standard on the OBS trucks were 15" diameter while the NBS are 16" if I remember correctly. So it's possible that the wheels won't fit around the brake components... But I thought even the OBS Z71 wheels were larger than the base model, so I'm not sure what the issue might be. Offset?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuggernaut
      The bolt pattern is the same, so I think the only issue might be that the wheels are too small. Standard on the OBS trucks were 15" diameter while the NBS are 16" if I remember correctly. So it's possible that the wheels won't fit around the brake components... But I thought even the OBS Z71 wheels were larger than the base model, so I'm not sure what the issue might be. Offset?
      OBS 4x4/Z71 wheels were 16" wheels just like the NBS. 2wd wheels were 15's. I think the problem might be with a larger diameter hub on the NBS trucks.
      '91 GMC Sportside
      '98 Chevy Suburban
      '88 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
      '13 Ford Focus Titanium
      -- Jason

Comment

The wheels will not fit because they will not clear the brakes in the rear. Any thing pre 99 had 15 in wheels and drum rear brakes. 99 and up have 16 in wheels(and up) and disc brakes. The 15in wheels will not clear the disc brakes.
        98 ECSB, 305, built 4l60-E, Z-71, Tb crank, 3in rear blocks, 3in pa body lift, BJ flip.
        Duals, Custom made light bar, 2 100w kc daylighters, 33x12.50x16 Terra grapplers
        on 16x10 Mickey Thompson Classic II's

Comment

Originally posted by badassbowtie04
          Any thing pre 99 had 15 in wheels and drum rear brakes. 99 and up have 16 in wheels(and up) and disc brakes. The 15in wheels will not clear the disc brakes.
          Again, '88-'98 4wd trucks came with 16" wheels.
          '91 GMC Sportside
          '98 Chevy Suburban
          '13 Ford Focus Titanium
          -- Jason

Comment

The OBS 16" wheel won't fit on the NBS trucks due to the brake caliper.
            I sold my '01 stock 16" wheels to a guy that had a '93 4wd truck. I had planned to put his old wheels on my '01 while it was being painted, but the OBS wheel wouldn't fit over the caliper. Luckily I had my stock 17" wheels from my tahoe to use so my new Intros won't get messed up.
            Last edited by tacodell; 12-02-2005, 01:12 PM.

2001 Silverado - Rebuild Completed KP 6-Link, ART arms, 20" Intro V-Rod Wheels, 5.3L, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Wait4Me Tune
            2005 Tahoe LT: 2/3 Belltech Drop, 20" Boyd Coddington Wheels, 5.3L, K&N FIPK, Wait4Me Tune

Comment

Originally posted by 1badgmc
              Again, '88-'98 4wd trucks came with 16" wheels.
              Negative on that. My truck is a 98 z71. It came with 15 inch wheels. The same ones all z's came with and thay are 15.:nono:
              Last edited by badassbowtie04; 12-02-2005, 01:14 PM.
              98 ECSB, 305, built 4l60-E, Z-71, Tb crank, 3in rear blocks, 3in pa body lift, BJ flip.
              Duals, Custom made light bar, 2 100w kc daylighters, 33x12.50x16 Terra grapplers
              on 16x10 Mickey Thompson Classic II's

Comment

According to edmunds.com '98 4WD trucks came standard with 16" wheels.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1998/che.....5.Chevrolet*
                http://www.edmunds.com/used/1993/che.....5.Chevrolet*

2001 Silverado - Rebuild Completed KP 6-Link, ART arms, 20" Intro V-Rod Wheels, 5.3L, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Wait4Me Tune
                2005 Tahoe LT: 2/3 Belltech Drop, 20" Boyd Coddington Wheels, 5.3L, K&N FIPK, Wait4Me Tune

Comment

Negative on that. My truck is a 98 z71. It came with 15 inch wheels. The same ones all z's came with and thay are 15.:nono:
                  Your wheels aren't stock then...or you have a base truck with Z71 stickers on it. Look it up..talk with any dealer..they all had 16" wheels on them. Now if you have a 2wd you have the 15's.

Sig courtesy of: ilikedirt
                  2002 Chevrolet Z71 ECSB LT, 305/70-16 Toyo Open Country AT2's, 3" BL, Flex-a-lite 292 E-Fans

Comment

I just had this same problem over thanksgiving. My buddy has a 2001 Tahoe with 23's ( I have an obs 99 Yukon). He needed a front end alignment but the alignment shop couldn't do such a big wheel. I gave him a set of stock wheels (16 inch)off my truck but the rears would not clear the rear calipers on his truck. I had to meet him down at the shop with my truck, take off my escalade wheels and send him off to get his alignment done. I thought they were all the same but I guess not

Comment

Originally posted by 02Z
                      Your wheels aren't stock then...or you have a base truck with Z71 stickers on it. Look it up..talk with any dealer..they all had 16" wheels on them. Now if you have a 2wd you have the 15's.
                      Exactly. Every single 4wd '88-'98 truck or SUV that I can remember with stock wheels had 16's. Even base models had 16" steel wheels.
                      '91 GMC Sportside
                      '98 Chevy Suburban
                      '13 Ford Focus Titanium
                      -- Jason

Comment

eery 88-99 OBS truck that was 4wd had 16" rims, 2wd had 15".

peace
                        Pauly
                        97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

Comment

Negative on that. My truck is a 98 z71. It came with 15 inch wheels.

The same ones all z's came with and thay are 15.:nono:
                          Yours are not stock then.

Nope. 16. Trust us. :read:

88-98- 2wd came with 15 inch, 4wd came with 16 inch.
                          2001 rcsb Z71 06 clip, lowered, 6.0 LQ9, p&p 241s, cam, PI3600, LPP long tubes, etc. Tuned by TJ of Baker Engineering Inc - SOLD
                          1989 rcsb 4x4, solid axled, HP44/14ff, 4.88s, 35s/20s

Comment

1/2 credit to me for being close :assclown:

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly
                              every 88-99 OBS truck that was 4wd had 16" rims, 2wd had 15".
                              Correct.
                              1989 Chevy K1500 350. 305s
                              1988 Ford Mustang 5.0 LX
                              1999 Suzuki Hayabusa. 16:1 1543cc. Stretched, slammed. Street tire, all motor, no wheelie bar. 8.9 @ 159 first time out. A lot left.
                              1999 Buell X-1 Lightning: Under construction

Comment

Working...
                              X