Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 Blazer - ABS Bypass - is it possible

My brother in-law has a '94 full size Blazer 4wd, and the ABS controller has crapped out on him. The stealership want $1300 to replace, so obviously we're not going that route.

Has anyone here deleted the ABS from an OBS truck before? I would imagine that the ABS was optional in 1994, so swapping out parts shouldn't be too difficult, but if anyone knows what all might be involved, apart from scrapping the controller module and plumbing new brake lines from the proportioning valve to the calipers/wheel cylinders, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Nate99; 03-24-2006, 10:42 AM.
    2005 GMC Sierra 1500 CC - Sold

Re: 1994 Blazer - ABS Bypass - is it possible

I believe ABS was standard equipment beginning with the RWAL in '88. That's a pretty simple system and bypassing it would just involve one brake line.

If the '94 has 4WAL, it would be more involved to bypass it, as it has a boost pump integrtated with the control unit to assist the vacuum booster.

1988 C-1500 Silverado. Olympic White. RCLB, 5.7 TBI, 700R4.

Comment

So would the 4WAL vaccum booster not be functional without the boost pump and related hardware? bending up new brake lines wouldn't be too difficult, but if we had to get a different booster and an adjustible proportioning valve to, in effect, make this a custom system, I'm not sure that my brother in-law would go for it. He's not much of a car guy himself, so reliability is paramount.

Comment

I don't know if the MC/booster are specific to 4WAL trucks, but I suspect they would be as it is an engineeered system.

I wouldn't be surprised if similar trucks were sold in less-developed countries with standard braking systems, due to service and reliability issues. I don't know how you would find out if the standard US components would work as a standalone system, though.

It might be hard to find that information due to liability issues these days...

Comment

I know on my '91 when my ABS box died, I just unplugged it and tossed it in the dumpster. Solved that problem.
          '91 GMC Sportside
          '98 Chevy Suburban
          '88 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
          '13 Ford Focus Titanium
          -- Jason

Comment

Originally posted by 1badgmc
            I know on my '91 when my ABS box died, I just unplugged it and tossed it in the dumpster. Solved that problem.
            We'll try that first.

On an empty street.

Seriously though, was your '91 a 4WAL or just the rears?

Comment

Rear only.

You can just unplug the harness and see what happens.
              '91 GMC Sportside
              '98 Chevy Suburban
              '88 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
              '13 Ford Focus Titanium
              -- Jason

Comment

Actually, my 95 K1500 w/ 4WAL has not been functioning due to a dead controller for several years. All that has to be done is unplug the harness.

Comment

Originally posted by lmadore
                  Actually, my 95 K1500 w/ 4WAL has not been functioning due to a dead controller for several years. All that has to be done is unplug the harness.
                  When the controller initially went out did you get really poor braking performance?

Comment

your 94 would have 4wal, and if you elimintate the abs, your wheels will just lock up when you touch the brake pedal, no biggie unless you intend to stop from any given speed.
                    2003 Chev Silverado 4x4 4.10 gears and it has a 4.8L:thud:
                    1997 GMC Sierra 4x4 4.3L 4L60E KOSS CD player,16mpg,3.73 gears z71 skid plates <<<sold

4th year apprentice at Chev Dealer

Comment

Originally posted by kenman1717
                      your 94 would have 4wal, and if you elimintate the abs, your wheels will just lock up when you touch the brake pedal, no biggie unless you intend to stop from any given speed.

They won't lock up unless you're under hard braking... all abs does is cycle the braking pressure very very quickly to prevent the wheels from locking up in hard braking situations, not all the time.
                      Rest in Peace Jason Payne

Comment

Originally posted by Whifflebat
                        They won't lock up unless you're under hard braking... all abs does is cycle the braking pressure very very quickly to prevent the wheels from locking up in hard braking situations, not all the time.
                        the reason i said that, was cuase i drove a blazer a while back that they had unhooked the abs, cause it quite, and everytime you touched the pedal the wheels would lock up, this was just like backing out of a parking spot, with no cars around, you wouldn't try to stop just keep it slow, didn't matter the pressure, they just locked, and the whole vehicle just rocked back and forth.
                        2003 Chev Silverado 4x4 4.10 gears and it has a 4.8L:thud:
                        1997 GMC Sierra 4x4 4.3L 4L60E KOSS CD player,16mpg,3.73 gears z71 skid plates <<<sold

4th year apprentice at Chev Dealer

Comment

That wasn't because of the ABS, other things were wrong. Bad rear axle seals come to mind.
                          Rest in Peace Jason Payne

Comment

Originally posted by Nate99
                            My brother in-law has a '94 full size Blazer 4wd, and the ABS controller has crapped out on him. The stealership want $1300 to replace, so obviously we're not going that route.
                            Just to clarify, you are talking about the hydraulic control unit and not the electronic control unit, correct? I assumed you meant the hydraulic unit at that price.

One of my wife's relatives has a '97 or so K2500 with a bad hydraulic unit. The "ABS" light is on all the time, and it has a low pedal. He continues to drive it like that, but it scares the cr*p out of me. It's much worse than my '88 when the RWAL unit was bad.

Comment

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards require that the vehicle's "foundation" brake system be somewhat separate from the ABS system as a safety feature. This means that the brakes are designed so that if the ABS system craps out, the vehicle can still be safely and normally stopped; It "defaults" to a "no-ABS" condition. You don't have ABS function at full-limit braking, which will result in wheel lock ("and possible loss of vehicle control") at full-limit braking, but everyday stopping function, by law, must not be effected by ABS failure.

Instead of dropping $1300 at the dealer, just unplug the ABS controller. This "deletes" the ABS, functionally. Then root around in one or more local junkyards for a new controller. I'd think you could get one for as cheap as $100 (just a guess) if you looked around enough.

-blaine
                              Last edited by Frankenbiker; 03-25-2006, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X