Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaring problem 01 Silverado

I have acquired a loud roaring noise in my truck recently. It is noticeable around 30MPH, then quits until you reach 60-70 MPH. I have check just about everything I can think of. It does not do this when it is in neutral and revved up so it leads me to think it is drivetrain related.

It only does this while roling, not at idle or sitting still with the revs up. There is no rough ride whatsoever, shimmy or anything.

I have never came across anything like this and it has me stumped.

I can only think of a few more things that could cause it.

Universal joints/carrier bearing (both look to be in good shape)
    Front wheel bearing
    Rear wheel bearing
    Brake pad rubbing
    Tires roaring (they only have 3,000 miles on them)

Heres the kicker, it just happened one day going down the highway @ 70mph adn it has been there ever since. Sometimes it doesn't roar but most times it does.

If anyone can help me out it would be appreciated. I would hate to spend the money for new uni's, and axle bearings if it's something small.

Thanks

Re: Roaring problem 01 Silverado

Where does it sound like it's coming from?
    sigpic

2001 1500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Short Bed LT Package
    6.0 Vortec, 4L80E, 3.73 G80 locker

Comment

is it coming from the front my fan clutch does it every once in a while.
      O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
      rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)

Comment

Actually it does sound like it's coming from the front.

I thought it might be my axle roaring so I just got done changing the gear oil and test drove it... it's still there.

I took the front wheels off and no play or indication of a bearing going out and my brakes/rotors look fine too.

I thought it might be a cab seal leaking but it does it with the windows down as well.

I'll check the fan to see if it might be going out, it sounds like a 747 jet when I first start it up...lol

Thanks for the help this far, anyone else have any insight or ideas?

I don't know if any of you have "storm sirens" in your town but that is what the sound is comparable to.
        Last edited by bigkountry; 10-02-2006, 03:35 PM.

Comment

sounds like fan clutch.
          my truck is a turd, and i sold my z28.

Comment

Yeah, Dad had a roaring in his '96 for several years and it didn't really seem to affect anything... and it went away after he replaced the fan clutch.

- Russ
            sigpic

Comment

If it is the fan clutch you will also see a drop in fuel mileage and power....my money is on the fan clutch. Even if the fan is not locked up check the front of the clutch for oil leakage and especially the spring on the front of the clutch to see if it is mising or disconnected.

Comment

I'll be replacing mine with an electric soon, it's like 25+ free HP!
                my truck is a turd, and i sold my z28.

Comment

Are you going to keep your clutch after youy make the change?

I'd like to try a different clutch on my 2001 6.0 Vortec to see if it cures my A/C cycling problem, but I don't want to buy a new one just for an experiment.

As far as that goes, anybody know if the fan clutch off a 1988 350 would work on a 2001 6.0 Vortec? I have one that has just been sitting around, it's probably good.

- Russ
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the input, I'm gonna pull the shroud today and check the fan out. This might be a good excuse to upgrade to the electric fans wihout so much flack from the wife...lol

Comment

Clutch Fan.
                      Last edited by Jokeman; 10-03-2006, 07:53 AM.

If its loud, fast and runs on flammable liquid......count me in.
                      Built LQ9...blah blah blah

Comment

Ok, I just pulled the shroud and checked the fan clutch out. Everything seems to be in working order as far as I can tell.

It still has some resistance while turning it, the spring is still seated. The only thing I saw that might be a concern is the spring is not under any pressure and is actually loose in the housing and I can move it in and out a little.

I did not see any oil leaking from the clutch anywhere, but I did not remove the fan itself due to me working tonight.

Would the loose spring be a problem? My truck is real loud when it is first started up from sitting for a while (when engine is cold). I'm used to running aluminum fans on my other trucks so this is new to me...lol

Thanks

Comment

If it was the fan clutch it would do it setting while in neutral with the engine rev'd up. Take it out on the high way and get into the zone that it makes the noise, then shift the truck up into neutral and let off the gas. If the noise is still there, it's a wheels and tires issue. If it goes away its an it's a drive line issue. (balanceer,torque converter, tranny ect)

Comment

OK, just took it out for a drive. I got it up to the speed that it makes the sound at, put it in neutral and let off the gas....it still does it.

I have aftermarket wheels and Goodyear Fortera tires on it (stock size), wonder if the tires are the culprit?

One more question that was brought up by my wife, could it be caused by my cowl hood? I woud not think so due to it making the sound at lower speeds as well, but I don't really know.

Thanks

Comment

I also noticed that I have a very slight pulse when I am coming to a stop, like maybe a rotor is a bit warped.

Do any of you think this might be the culprit to my mystery noise? Maybe the brake pads are rubbing on the rotor?

When I am coming to a stop and it is making the noise, it does go away when I apply the brake after a few feet.
                              Last edited by bigkountry; 10-09-2006, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X