Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveline Clunk??

I have got a pretty serious drive line clunk going on. I cannot tell where in the heck it is coming from? Coming from any speed to a complete stop, I get the "Clunk". Then when I go to take off again "Clunk". Any Ideas? How would you tell if it is the rear end, transfer case or transmission? All the fluids are new (only 5,000 miles) and at the proper level. The rear drive shaft has new U-joints and I have greased the crap out of the splines on the slip yoke.

Also.... If I come to a stop really slow there is no "Clunk" but an audible loud "Tick" as the transmission shifts to 1st.
    1996 Chevy K1500 Z71 ECSB

1985 Mercedes Benz 300D

Re: Driveline Clunk??

could be the yoke or u joint s, doe sit clunk when you put in gear from park to drive ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigreave
      could be the yoke or u joint s, doe sit clunk when you put in gear from park to drive ?
      Yes. A little. It is pretty bad when I am cruising down the road and then stop and take off again. I just replaced the u-joints less than 2000 miles ago. When I did the u-joints I greased the slip yoke like everyone has posted here. Still clunks.

Is it possible the yoke or output shaft on the transfer case is shot?

1985 Mercedes Benz 300D

Comment

how much and what kind of greese did you use. i just pulled my driveshaft out and greesed the hell out of the slip yoke and mine dosent clunk at all anymore. the clunk i had was really bad when stoping and starting just like yours.

1999 tahoe limited. DD (sold) replaced with 09 crew cab.
        1988 gmc rcsb winter/plow truck
        1995 gmc ecsb project truck

Comment

Originally posted by IH8FORD
          how much and what kind of greese did you use. i just pulled my driveshaft out and greesed the hell out of the slip yoke and mine dosent clunk at all anymore. the clunk i had was really bad when stoping and starting just like yours.
          I'll have to pull the tube out of the grease gun and look. It is some kind of high temp. synthetic chasis lube. I actually pulled the shaft a couple weeks ago to grease the thing again. Maybe I did not use enough? I put so much grease on the splines that it was actually hard to get back in. Is it possible to use too much grease? I pumped a bunch in the hole (where the splines are). Then I smeared the rest into all the grooves with my finger. :stir: Do you think this was sufficient or not enough?

1985 Mercedes Benz 300D

Comment

If You Keep The Brake All The Way Down When You Shift Into Drive Or Reverse..does It Still Clunk???usually Drivetrane Noises Are U Joints(probably Like 85%)..if Not Then Its Either Slop In The Tranny Or The Rear Diff Needs To Be Re-shimmed..you Should Be Able To Put The Truck In Park And Crawl Under It..turn It Manually And Tell If Its A U Joint Or Rear Diff..you Should Not Have Harly Any Play In Park..if So You Should Be Able To See The Play Between The Shaft And The Rear Diif If Its A U-joint
            2000 SINGLE CAB SHORTBED 1500 Z71 6" FABTECH, 3" BODY LIFT, 315/75 BFG AT'S,W4ME, K&N COLD AIR INTAKE, TRUE DUALS(STRAIGHTS), F*RD KEYS, POLK AUDIO SPEAKERS, PROCOMP ES 3000'S IN THE FRONT, LONG tranny cooler, 4:56 GEARS, DETROIT TRUE TRAC ..:rsr:oh yeah!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BIGRED2000
              If You Keep The Brake All The Way Down When You Shift Into Drive Or Reverse..does It Still Clunk???usually Drivetrane Noises Are U Joints(probably Like 85%)..if Not Then Its Either Slop In The Tranny Or The Rear Diff Needs To Be Re-shimmed..you Should Be Able To Put The Truck In Park And Crawl Under It..turn It Manually And Tell If Its A U Joint Or Rear Diff..you Should Not Have Harly Any Play In Park..if So You Should Be Able To See The Play Between The Shaft And The Rear Diif If Its A U-joint
              Yes...... With the brake all the way down while shifting it does Clunk going into Drive or Reverse. It is worse while coming to a stop or taking off. I have noticed at the boat ramp and sometimes on a bit of an incline that when I put the truck into Park without the E-brake that the truck will roll quite a bit before it stops (probably about 4 to 6 inches). Also, if I get underneath and twist the drive shaft by hand (engine off), I can twist it quite a bit in either direction. There is no play in the U-joints and there is a click or clank coming from either the transfer case or transmission when I rack the shaft back and forth. Hard to pin point.

But if I can twist the drive shaft at all..... That would mean that there is a bunch of play in the rear end? Right?

I know where there is a 1500 HD down the road. I already got the springs off it. Now I'm wondering if I should grab the 14 bolt and the drive shaft out of it?

1985 Mercedes Benz 300D

Comment

yeah that was plenty of greese. your problem must be somewhere else

1999 tahoe limited. DD (sold) replaced with 09 crew cab.
                1988 gmc rcsb winter/plow truck
                1995 gmc ecsb project truck

Comment

what year is your truck. i am havin the same thing with mine its a 04 z71. the noise its real bad when i shift fron p ro r and start to move. i was told its the the name of the game and it wont hurt anything. http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...d.php?t=247797
                  TireFryr- Built 356ci Ported Accel super ram, Coated LTs,Built 700r4,2800Yenk stall,3.73posi "TractionLess"

Comment

I went through the same thing shortly after i bought mine. Had a new drive shaft installed and the click and clunk are gone.

Comment

A few points...

Before you talked about the play in your driveshaft, I was going to say check your engine mounts... that was a big problem in my '89 burb and when I replaced them, my problem went away... or at least got a lot better. And check your tranny mount on the crossmember.

Now, after your comments on the play in the driveshaft, that doesn't sound right... 4-6 in... I would jack the rear end up and see if you rotate a tire, how much play you have.

If you have that much play it sounds like something is not right

Comment

I have an 01 Z71. I get the clunk on take off's and sometimes on hard stops. I really thought it was the rear end. After taking it to a local tranny shop,they told me it was my transfer case chain. To much play,the sound travels down the driveshaft,to make it sound like it's the rear end. Any truth to this?

Comment

"transfer case chain" what is this do? never herd of this befor....all i want to know if i should be worried about it and get it fixed....
                          TireFryr- Built 356ci Ported Accel super ram, Coated LTs,Built 700r4,2800Yenk stall,3.73posi "TractionLess"

Comment

The transfer case chain is what transfers the power to the front shaft inside the case. Its the actual link to get power to the front axle.

1975 K10 Stepside- Tow vehicle and toy
                            1964 Nova- Straight liner
                            1956 Chevy 150- Cruiser under construction

Comment

oh got ya....well who out there can tell us if this could be the problem....and if we should get it fixed? :stir:

Comment

Working...
                              X