Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horn Doesn't Work

The horn on my 2000 Silverado went out the other day and I'm not sure how to fix it. I checked the fuse panel and I didn't see a fuse labeled "horn" like my old truck. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix the problem???

Re: Horn Doesn't Work

Dad's 2000 Suburban had some corrosion where the horn plugs into the wiring harness. We took the horns out, cleaned them up, and they work fine now.

Hope that helped a bit.

Comment

ah fahk. i hope its not your horn button itself. one time on mine (OBS, no airbags) the wires just came off. idk how, but they were off. so i pulled off the horn cap and put them back.

no idea how to do that with an airbag. fahk.

Comment

my truck has airbags and i think u can still do that? Cuz i disconnected mine cuz when ever i was backing up my arm would hit the button and it would honk (so annoying)....yah could be Corrosion on the connections, or horn wires came unpluged just by vibration (bumpy roads) the wires can pop off.

1997 GMC Sierra K1500 ECSB
        1989 Chevrolet Scottsdale C1500 RCSB,HSDD,310ci
        1986 GMC High Sierra K1500 RCLB
        1971 Chevrolet C10 RCSS

Comment

You checked the fuse panel under the hood? There is one that is along side of the driver dash also. Mine was under the hood, it was a larger black block, and not the typical 2 prong plug.

Comment

ya it is called a horn relay now

Comment

Ahh, I forgot there was a fuse box under the hood, I just checked the one on the side of the dash. I'll also check the wires to make sure they're still pluged in and not corroded. Thanks for the help guys!!!

Comment

you probably got a dead horn then if the relay checks out.
                O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
                rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)

Comment

Got her done yesterday... sure enough blown fuse.

Comment

F*** da horn whatch for finger!!!
                    Last edited by PinkSlips; 12-04-2007, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Yeah I had a blown fuse on my '01 2500. It seemed to only happen when it rained out. Come to find out later while talking to the dealer about it, that water can enter into the horns and damage them or cause them short out. I guess GM has a shield available now to install around them to avoid the problem from repeating itself (they're not free)....needless to say at the time, I didn't have time to do it myself, and had them do it, cost me a bundle as they replaced the horns w/ OE GM ones as well as installed the shields. Seemed like it was about $200 total.
                      2001 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 4x4, 6.0L v8, Airaid MIT, HPP3. VIDEO OF A 0-70 MPH RUN
                      1997 Grand Prix GTP coupe, stock daily driver.
                      2004 Harley Davidson XL883 Sportster, customized for my tastes .

Comment

Working...
                      X