Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Dies When Turning

Well hoping you guys can help me out I purchased a 2003 Gmc 1500, and now after driving it a while I have ran into this problem. While making slow sharp turns my truck will die and I have too put in park and restart it which will start fine. This only happens once in a while. Also when I'm just at idle it will run a little rough Head lights will dim. Rpms die down quite low but doesn't die, volts gauge drops also but not too much about to 12. could this be and alternator problem. I think the computer has been reprogrammed with a tuner could the setting be doing this. If you guys have any ideas, suggestion, or solutions thanks.

Re: Truck Dies When Turning

Is it giving you any codes? Does your truck have a TPS or IAC? Maybe one of those are bad.
    5.7L, 5-Speed, 4/6 drop on 245/45/18's

Comment

I don't know about any codes, and I think it has a IAC i'll look into that, its a cheap part. Thanks

Comment

could be two dif problems. at idle w/ headlights on sounds like an alternator. the turning sounds like you could have a bad ps pressure switch, which basically tells the comp to idle the engine up a little when turning so as the excess force from the ps pump doesnt kill the motor

kids with wrenches 4x4 - hopatcong, NJ.
        proud member of the oobs and obs hood wacker clubs

Comment

The alternator sounds most likely but didn't know if there would be any other things giving the same problems. And about the PS pressure switch i was looking into the part it self and were it would be located and i only found them to be present on trucks up too 2002 nothing newer. where might this pressure switch be located?

Comment

you might be right on that one, not all vehicles have em, i'd check on the alternator first, fix that problem, then go from there.

Comment

Check battery connections and grounds

Comment

Mine did the same thing. When I would make a sharp right turn the thing would die and I would throw it in neutral and it would start right back up. I thought that nobody would believe that it died on turns. I will have to look into the PS switch also.
                '99 ECSB 4x4
                4.8L LS
                Custom prerunner bumpers
                K&N intake/Flowmaster
                Torsion Crank

'07 Yukon 2WD
                bone Stock

Comment

Have your alt checked, along with the battery.
                  Take the cables off, and clean them. Make sure everything is tight.
                  Also take off the grounds and clean them, make sure they are tight and in good condition.

If all that's good, I would start looking at something like fuel pressure, or a dirty fuel filter.

I don't think it would be an IAC, or TPS. I say that, cause it should give you other problems.
                  However remebering now, you did say it idled a little rough.
                  So take the IAC out and clean it. You can check the TPS too. You do have both.
                  Wouldn't hurt to clean the throttle body either.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
                  96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
                  05 Cavalier
                  74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
                  49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

Comment

Check your body, chassis and engine grounds.

Comment

Could be inside the column itself. Loose or grounding wire.

Comment

autozone, advanced, orileys, etc. can test your alternator and battery for free

Comment

Check your grounds. Another guy had the same issue on another site, and it turned out to be a loose ground.

Steven

2007 GMC Sierra SLT Vmax 4.10 gears, Boss MT100 20x8.5 wheels/Cooper Zeon LTZ tires, Extang Bed cover,
                          GMC Bedrug, Line of Fire, Denali Grill, GM Performance Intake, Corsa Sport Dual Exhaust, and DiabloSport Predator.

Comment

Thanks everyone, Yeah I checked the battery connections and they where clean and good, but I'll have to check all the grounds also. I didn't even think to take it to Auto Zone and have them check the battery and alternator, I'll do that. And the IAC couldn't hurt to clean it or replace same as the TPS. Thanks again.

Comment

worse comes worse, you could have some wires screwed up in the column, buddy of mine had that problem on his 83 monte, everytime he turned left it would shut off, and everytime he turned right the heat would shut off. it was rather funny

Comment

Working...
                              X