Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked exhaust manifold HELP

Found a crack in my exhaust manifold, will this make the engine run like it was suffering a carb or timing problem????

Re: Cracked exhaust manifold HELP

very great possibility. it will have poor performance issues
    NEW 2004 Sierra D-MAX

Comment

Thanks Brettj, appreciate the input.

Comment

hmm maybe that's what's wrong with mine I know mine has a big crack in it, and I tried to wrap it up with some metal and hose clamp, and I also know I got an exhaust leak from the dounut gasket on that same side.

So this thing is gonna have bad performance because of a cracked manifold? Might be why I had to run my dist. timing past zero to get it to run decent, and still aint great.
        sigpic
        Chris

88 K1500 RCSB work in progress.

Comment

Years and years ago my Ex-girlfriend had a Geo that had a big crack in the manifold.
          Her dad picked up on from a junk yard and asked if I would put it in just to find out the one he got had a worse crack in it then the original.
          It would always run like the timing was off or the points were bad with very bad getup and go.

Comment

Clean the crack with a file...Heat it up some and mig weld it...Iv done it 3 times in my life with out and come backs..

Comment

Not sure what year your truck is, but exhaust manifolds are typically pretty cheap.
              Replacement manifolds for my 95 5.7 are $50....

Comment

^^ You lucky bastard! I shopped around and got the cheapest at $188! There are some days I wished I lived in America. The rest, I'm more than happy being to the North.
                1999 Chevrolet K2500, Crew Cab, Short Box, 4L80E, 454 ci, 3.73 rear 14b FF 10.5"
                Working on my own custom tune with EFI Live.

Comment

agreed unless I find some used for my 88 k1500 there are about $90 a piece from lmc. For that price I'm gonna get some shorty headers to bolt in place of these.

Mines only on the pass. side and the freaking thing is cracked under the first tube, and then same side the counut leaks lol.
                  sigpic
                  Chris

Comment

Throw some longtubes on it. Or if you are strapped for cash get replacement manifolds. Cracks can lead to performance issues.
                    2015 Sierra 1500 Elevation Edition. "So impossibly black!"
                    2005 Pontiac GTO LS2/A4. So fast it's gone now.
                    1999 OBS K1500 Black Bear tuned 383 Z71. 2" rear blocks, Hankook MT's. Still around.

Comment

yea I'm worried about burning a valve or something, that's why I tried to seal it up as best I could.

Long tubes would be great but having to change my whole exhaust would not be.
                      sigpic
                      Chris

Comment

Yeah I need to do something about mine. More of a gasket issue but I'd put money mine are cracked as well. Relatively rough idle, sluggish performance, etc etc.
                        2015 Sierra 1500 Elevation Edition. "So impossibly black!"
                        2005 Pontiac GTO LS2/A4. So fast it's gone now.
                        1999 OBS K1500 Black Bear tuned 383 Z71. 2" rear blocks, Hankook MT's. Still around.

Comment

I think I may have cracked mine myself, they were fine when I took them off, but after the rebuild the holes would barely line up between the front and back so it took some work to get them back on, and once I did I noticed the big crack.
                          sigpic
                          Chris

Comment

Well it seems unanimous! Now how about a product called JB WELD? It comes in two tubes, one product and one hardener. Anybody ever use it?

Comment

it is still holding a pulley idler stud onto the timing cover of my '96 Splaturn after two years. great stuff, but i don't know how well it will hold up to exhaust manifold temperatures.
                              1999 Chevrolet K2500, Crew Cab, Short Box, 4L80E, 454 ci, 3.73 rear 14b FF 10.5"
                              Working on my own custom tune with EFI Live.

Comment

Working...
                              X