Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An overfilled 4L60e

Hey guys. I changed transmission fluid today and made the bonehead mistake of overfilling the transmission after I put the pan back up. So now I think I'm left with 2 choices, drop the pan and start over or come up with something crafty. I should have put a drain plug on the pan! Gah, too late now, but I have a plan. Put a piece of aquarium air tubing down the dipstick hole and into the pan, and attach a soap dispenser pump to the other end. Any ideas as to if this will work to remove approximately 1/2 a quart of fluid? Any other ideas?

Re: An overfilled 4L60e

isnt there a drain plug up on the front of the tranny?
    1997 Chevy 1500 ext cab short bed 5.7 vortec 3.42 peg leg...Bone stock

Comment

It will if the soap pump can overcome the air in that much hose and lift fluid.

'01 2500 6.0 K&N, Flowmaster

Comment

by you one of those small hand pumps and put it down the dipstick and pump some out.

Comment

There isn't a drain plug on the pan, and I don't believe there is a tranny cooler on the truck I'm working on. Not auxillary that is. Is there a drain somewhere I'm missing. Any other ideas besides my air hose/soap dispenser idea?

Comment

the idea with the aquarium tubing would work. try getting a transfer pump though.

and no, the 4l60e has no drain plug

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html

Other than that, loosen the pan and let it tilt forward to drain some fluid out. Loosen the bolts towards the rear some but remove bolts in the front so that the rear bolts support the pan but allow it to pivot.
            Last edited by SlvrdoHDmax; 05-20-2010, 09:25 PM.

2005 2500HD>Duramax>EFI Live DSP5 by Punisher Performance>FASS Platinum LP>AFE Turbo MP>EGR Blocked>PCV Rerouted>Mild audio setup>4" Exhaust>Alligator Performance Race Fuel Valve>Edge Insight CTS

Comment

Awesome idea with the transfer pump. Any chance a really small NAPA store or a Farm and Home would have one?

Comment

Remove the return line from the transmission cooler going back into the transmission, put a hose on it, and put that down in an oil catch pan or bottle. Have someone watch it, or you watch it and have someone start the truck, let the pump on the truck pump out the 2 quarts, then shut the truck off and hook the line back up, and re-do your fluid fill. Just don't let the pump run completely dry for long and burn it up.
                Last edited by Mike2002K1500; 05-20-2010, 09:40 PM.
                '99 Suburban LT, Stock
                '97 F-350 4x4, 7.3 PSD, Stock

Comment

some 4l60s do have drain plugs. Mine has one and I know of a few people who do as well. Only problem is they usually cant get the dang plug out, so its pretty much useless anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike2002K1500 View Post
                    Remove the return line from the transmission cooler going back into the transmission, put a hose on it, and put that down in an oil catch pan or bottle. Have someone watch it, or you watch it and have someone start the truck, let the pump on the truck pump out the 2 quarts, then shut the truck off and hook the line back up, and re-do your fluid fill. Just don't let the pump run completely dry for long and burn it up.
                    These trucks don't have a tranny cooler to my knowledge. Welcome to the outdated, underpowered OBS, LOL :)

Comment

A lot of obs trucks came with a cooler. Usually came with the z71 or with a towing package. I know mine has one.

2005 2500HD>Duramax>EFI Live DSP5 by Punisher Performance>FASS Platinum LP>AFE Turbo MP>EGR Blocked>PCV Rerouted>Mild audio setup>4" Exhaust>Alligator Performance Race Fuel Valve>Edge Insight CTS

Comment

Originally posted by alexmerchant View Post
                        Awesome idea with the transfer pump. Any chance a really small NAPA store or a Farm and Home would have one?
                        A farm and home store should carry something like that or even napa. wouldnt hurt to give a call and ask

Comment

Hmmm....learn something new every day. The only OBS trucks I have ever owned have been sportier rcsb 2wd's, so I have never had a tranny cooler with them. I just assumed none of them had them unless they had a combo like a 454 80e 14 bolt.

Comment

What's in there....Mercron/Dexron? You can siphon that out with a really small tube (got mine from a farm & ranch supply store) on a warm day. It will not be a fast process.

Yes, it will siphon. I didn't think so at first, but my son (a chemical engineer and sort of an expert in fluid dynamics) convinced me otherwise.
                            2001 Silverado 1500 Z71 with 5.3L. All stock.
                            Rest of the Livery:
                            2004 Toyota Avalon
                            2003 Toyota Avalon
                            1999 Toyota Solara (my daily driver)

Comment

Originally posted by alexmerchant View Post
                              These trucks don't have a tranny cooler to my knowledge. Welcome to the outdated, underpowered OBS, LOL :)
                              They may be "outdated" but they are far from underpowered and they will sure outlast an NBS/NNBS.

Originally posted by sw45 View Post
                              A lot of obs trucks came with a cooler. Usually came with the z71 or with a towing package. I know mine has one.
                              Mine has one as well and I only have the towing package.

Comment

Working...
                              X