Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

96 tahoe wont start after running out of gas.

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 tahoe wont start after running out of gas.

My gas gauge hasn't working in about a year and i've been going off my odometer and its been working fine. 2 weeks ago i knew i was running low on gas and ended up run out on the side of the road. A friend brought me 2 gallons and my truck started right back up and i made it to a gas station fine. Haven't noticed any problems since then.

Yesterday i should of had 1/4 tank of gas in my tank according to my odometer but i guess i was wrong and ran out of gas again. I went and got 2 gallons and put it in my tank but this time my truck didn't start. I hear the started but the engine wont turn over. Any ideas what this could be? I had a new fuel pump put in it last year and i would think a new pump would last longer than a year.

1996 4 door tahoe LT, 4x4 350ci 5.7L
    1996 Tahoe, 383, 35x12.50x15 A/T, BB Tune, 14 Bolt w/ 4.56
    1973 Nova, 350, 27in Racing Slicks, 12 Bolt w/ 4.11

Re: 96 tahoe wont start after running out of gas.

What do you hear?
    If you hear the starter clicking but the engine won't turn over, then it is electrical - Either a dead battery or similar. Nothing to do with fuel.

If the engine turns over but does not start, you can check the fuel pump first by turning everything off, then turning ignition to the ON position w/o actually turning the engine. The fuel pump should be heard working for a second or two.

In general, it is not advised to run on empty tank. Fuel pump doesn't like that very much - It likes to be cooled by the fuel. It's a GM thing...
    sigpic

Comment

Sounds like you are saying you hear the starter spinning but the bendix is not engaging? Try to smack the starter a few times with a hammer or handle of a screw driver. See if that does not get it to engage and spin the engine over. Sounds like you need a new starter.
      Last edited by fxdwgkd; 06-28-2010, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Do you mean the motor turns over but won't fire?

If so it may be possible that their was rust or debris in the tank,
        and running it that low sucked up the crap and plugged the fuel filter.

It is also possible that you overheated the pump, but not likely if only 1 year old.

Check for the pump sound when you turn on the key as noted above.

If the motor will not turn over then as stated above, nothing to do with fuel, prob the starter.
        sigpic
        2000 K2500 7.4

Comment

engine is turning but wont fire.

i was driving the truck and the it just stopped in an intersection. Definitely not the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
            engine is turning but wont fire.

i was driving the truck and the it just stopped in an intersection. Definitely not the starter.
            Your OP said you hear starter but engine does not turn. Odds are you picked something up from the bottom of the tank. Pull your pump and check the pick-up

Comment

I'll bet you $10 to a donut the pump is dead, running very low/empty is a recipe for disaster on an electric fuel pump, you're lucky you got by once, let alone twice.
              RandyW
              '02 Short Bed/ Reg Cab/ LS1/SS wheels,3.73 Gears

'96 Tahoe 2dr 4x4

Comment

well i'm hoping its just a fuel filter. If its the fuel pump should i just replace it with a stock pump or upgrade?

Comment

if it is a fuel pump, then shouldnt you have a warranty on the one you bought 1 year ago?

1993 GMC SIERRA with 1996 corvette lt1. Built 4l60e. 4.10 gears. Eaton positrac. Dual exhaust. 1996 dash swap. 2002 electric tahoe seats. More to come

Comment

doubtful. i had a random shop out of town do it. I go to college 100 miles away from my home town where i normally do the work myself.

Comment

ahh, i dont think the pumps are too much...i might have one if your interested.

1993 GMC SIERRA with 1996 corvette lt1. Built 4l60e. 4.10 gears. Eaton positrac. Dual exhaust. 1996 dash swap. 2002 electric tahoe seats. More to come

Comment

running out of gas with the electronic fuel pump is nearly on par with running an engine out of oil. well maybe not that drastic, but it's basically like overheating the engine. these pumps start to overheat when you run the tank real low. i used to run the tank on the 93 z28 camaro i had years ago low, and it finally died. ironically though when the pump failed i actually had damn close to a full tank of gas in there. about a month later i was having problems with the gauges in the car, and accidentally ran out of gas. luckily i didn't destroy the new pump when that happened.
                        1990 suburban slverade 1500 4x4
                        2000 cheyenne 2500 utility body 5.7
                        1993 ford 5.0 mustang lx
                        2003 ford mach 1 mustang
                        2000 ford f350 7.3 diesel
                        1986 chevy custom deluxe 20 6.5 totalled 3/9/08

Comment

well i replaced the fuel filter and my truck didnt start. I went to advanced auto and they said they they sell just the pump for $90 and the whole assembly for $190.00

I'm assuming all i need is the pump. Will just a generic pump be fine or should i get a certain brand like AC Delco or something. I'm doing this tomorrow so i'd like an answer quick.

Comment

regular pump will be fine, and theres no need to by the entire assembly unless your gauge doesnt work either

Comment

You might get a sock if it does not come with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X