Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hose Broke off of firewall for heater core....

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hose Broke off of firewall for heater core....

So I drove from San Diego up to Big Bear Lake a couple of weekends ago. On the way up the twisty mountain road, my heater hose BROKE off the firewall. Instantly my engine went from normal temp to red!

I looped the hoses with a 3/4" PVC close nipple that was a part of my jet ski gas can. When AAA showed up to bring me coolant, the guy said he was impressed. I just laughed and said I never missed an episode of McGiver. (I did replace the PCV with a steel nipple for the trip back, as the PVC started to get soft when hot). When the AAA driver asked how it happened, my wife responded "because he thought this was Pikes Peak, and the other racers were going too slow!"

So my question is: What are the plastic pieces there for anyway?
    You can see the heater core connections right there.
    What is "free time?" I used to know..... I think?

Re: Hose Broke off of firewall for heater core....

I don't know why the plastic it there, but if enough of the metal pipe sticks out, I would just cut the plastic off and clamp the hose onto the metal pipe.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rice View Post
      I don't know why the plastic it there, but if enough of the metal pipe sticks out, I would just cut the plastic off and clamp the hose onto the metal pipe.
      I think that is what I'm going to do. I'm just currious as to why wn engineer would put it there? Was this for a specific purpose?

Comment

is it some kind of one time use qwik connect
        2000 Silverado 2500 NV4500 5 Speed 14 Bolt FF. Farm Truck.
        1972 Chevelle 383 Stroker. Money Pit
        1999 Dodge Intrepid 2.7L. Best Car Ever
        1984 Pontiac Parisienne 454. Burnout Machine
        1987 GMC V2500 Sierra Classic. Old Faithful

Comment

Originally posted by deadtrep View Post
          is it some kind of one time use qwik connect
          Thanks. That's what I needed to know!

Comment

Originally posted by joe_too_crazy22 View Post
            I think that is what I'm going to do. I'm just currious as to why wn engineer would put it there? Was this for a specific purpose?
            Plastic has a much higher specific heat capacity, maybe it helps buffer the line from the hot metal. Probably also for ease of removal. I would also guess though, that the plastic abomination there acts as a sort of of firewall grommet, unless it doesn't go all the way through.
            Last edited by 2500ak; 09-18-2010, 07:32 PM.

Transgo HD2 | Magnaflow DI/DO | CAI | BlackBear Tune| Dual Optima Red Tops: 2000 Cold Craking Amps | Denali Projectors |

Comment

That's weird. What truck is this? My 99 K3500 just has the metal ends sticking out, which I'm fairly certain is original.
              454cid
              1999 K3500 RCLB

Comment

My 99 nbs silverado did the exact same thing. I used a utility knife to get the old plastic off and then a hose clamp to attach the hose back on. Seems to be holding up just fine and not leaking.
                1999 Silverado LS 4x4 Z71 w/ 5.3L

Comment

same thing happened to my 03

Thanks 454ss for the sig.
                  03 GMC 2500HD 8.1L, Allison trans, Corsa Dual Stainless, 20" wheels:fsc:

Comment

This happened to my 2000 this past spring. I put the hose right to the heater core too, but chose to replace the plastic end as it's an extension, and a quick connect. I figured it was there for a reason, so I may as well put it back. My local car quest got it for me...

Comment

Originally posted by beachbum29 View Post
                      This happened to my 2000 this past spring. I put the hose right to the heater core too, but chose to replace the plastic end as it's an extension, and a quick connect. I figured it was there for a reason, so I may as well put it back. My local car quest got it for me...
                      How the hell did you get the old one off and the new one on? I recently purchased 2 of these as the same situation happened to me, and the GM fuel line tool will not work at all for me. It seems like they are all too shallow to release the springs inside. I can't figure it out, I have it directly mounted to the core right now, but I would like to replace these as it will be much easier to remove them later for another flush. I ended up having to bust and cut off the old one.

I am trying to improvise some sort of around the house items to create if you will a deeper well disconnect tool, but so far no luck. If anyone has any advice or suggestions on tools or where to find something that will work better, I am all ears!

Thanks.

Comment

on my '01 i just cut them in the middle and put a brass nipple one with clamps on the return and used one of the Peak quick flush things on the other side with clamps..it makes flushing a breeze and no leaks thus far

Comment

Well, I just ran to Advanced and picked up a 6" strip of heater hose and an adapter to gauge up the factory hose to the actual size of the nipple protruding from the core itself (the aluminum part). Then I just needed 3 hose clamps and a few minutes of time. After securing the clamps I started her up and the heater works perfectly, better then it ever has since I have owned it.

The parts were about 5.00.

I would like to do it right, but until I develop a tool to release the spring clips on the factory plastic piece I won't worry about it. The only benefit of using the factory part would be for faster flushing in the future.

Hope that helps someone in a similar spot. Obviously the white plastic item was made incorrectly, or with a bad formula, as the black seems almost new. Aftermarket part will be black, and work for both sides.

The stu

Comment

To get that busted plastic off of my 99 5.3 I took a hacksaw blade and cut it down to the metal pipe and stuck a flat blade screw driver in the cut, twist and the plastic breaks off.

2002 ECLB Silverado 2500HD Duramax
                            2003 ECSB Silverado 2500HD 6.0/ 4L80e totalled
                            1985 RCSB C10 TBI 350/ 700r4

Comment

Carquest sells a heater hose connector removal tool that works pretty well on those.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X