Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 1500 wont go into 4-LO

Hi all, new here obviously, just brought a 2000 1500 home last night with 39K miles.

Truck will go into 4 HI no problem, but when I hit the 4 LO button, the transfer case tries to lock up twice, then goes back to 2 WD. Is this an actuator? Thinking its not the motor as 4 HI works perfectly.

A search didn't give me any results.

THANKS in advance!

Re: 2000 1500 wont go into 4-LO

Are you in neutral when your trying to put it in 4Lo?

♠ Magnaflow ♠ Rough Country 3" ♠ 33" Cooper STT's ♠ Blackbear ♠ K&N ♠ Keystone Hood ♠ Carriage Works ♠ Paint ♠ 6000K HID's ♠ 35% Tint ♠ XD Hoss's ♠ Bedrug ♠ Smoked Tails ♠
    XBL: ll U MAD BR0 ll

Comment

Yes sir. Neutral with brake on or off, transfer case won't stay locked in neutral either. Dealer just told me they would pay for parts if it does need an actuator.

Comment

Take it back to them and make them fix it if they told you it works. It may be the actuator.

♠ Magnaflow ♠ Rough Country 3" ♠ 33" Cooper STT's ♠ Blackbear ♠ K&N ♠ Keystone Hood ♠ Carriage Works ♠ Paint ♠ 6000K HID's ♠ 35% Tint ♠ XD Hoss's ♠ Bedrug ♠ Smoked Tails ♠
        XBL: ll U MAD BR0 ll

Comment

I agree. That part us taken care of.

Thanks- I think your right about the actuator motor.

Comment

dude on the nbs chevy you need to be rolling foward at less then 5mph for it to shift in2 4lo

Comment

You guys are muddying terms or something....

The actuator is is in the front differential and does nothing but connect the front front driveshaft to the front axleshaft via a central axle disconnect. It doesn't care about range selection, it only cares about front drive or no front drive.

The encoder motor shifts the the transfer case through its range (2H, 4H, N, 4L).

Sounds like the encoder motor is unable to shift to 4Lo, or sthe dash switch has failed on the 4lo circuit.

If the front tires engage, it is not the actuator.
              Last edited by Quyonmob; 12-07-2010, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quyonmob View Post
                You guys are muddying terms or something....

The actuator is is in the front differential and does nothing but connect the front front driveshaft to the front axleshaft via a central axle disconnect. It doesn't care about range selection, it only cares about front drive or no front drive.

The encoder motor shifts the the transfer case through its range (2H, 4H, N, 4L).

Sounds like the encoder motor is unable to shift to 4Lo, or sthe dash switch has failed on the 4lo circuit.

If the front tires engage, it is not the actuator.
                yea but on both my 2k models both of them you had to be rolling with the truck in neutral then push the 4low button for it to shift into 4 low. so if he is sitting still even with his foot off the brake it still will not make the shift into 4 low. the truck needs to be rolling at less then 5mph IIRC

Comment

Originally posted by OneBaddAssZ71 View Post
                  yea but on both my 2k models both of them you had to be rolling with the truck in neutral then push the 4low button for it to shift into 4 low. so if he is sitting still even with his foot off the brake it still will not make the shift into 4 low. the truck needs to be rolling at less then 5mph IIRC
                  Yeah but....that has nothing to do with anything I said.

I wasn't explaining how to shift it. Was explaing how the parts work for trouble shooting purposes.

If he isn't shifting as per owners manual, then it sounds like the operator is broken and should be replaced.

For what it's worth, I can grab 4Lo at a dead stop in my NBS.
                  Last edited by Quyonmob; 12-07-2010, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quyonmob View Post
                    Yeah but....that has nothing to do with anything I said.

I wasn't explaining how to shift it. Was explaing how the parts work for trouble shooting purposes.

If he isn't shifting as per owners manual, then it sounds like the operator is broken and should be replaced.

For what it's worth, I can grab 4Lo at a dead stop in my NBS.
                    hmm, mine wont complete the shift if the rig is not rolling. i believe the problem might be between the seat and the steering wheel. because if it will shift into 4 hi and is pulling in 4 hi then it will most likely shift into lo range. just operator error

Comment

hmm, mine wont complete the shift if the rig is not rolling. i believe the problem might be between the seat and the steering wheel. because if it will shift into 4 hi and is pulling in 4 hi then it will most likely shift into lo range. just operator error
                      My Dad's 92 S-15 jimmy did exactly that, no 4Lo but 4Hi was fine. Turned out to be the encoder motor.

Comment

well to the OP id suggest try rolling then shifting into 4lo, if no worky then consult quyonmobs troubleshooting

SIDENOTE: im post whoring like a mofo today LOL

Comment

well to the OP id suggest try rolling then shifting into 4lo, if no worky then consult quyonmobs troubleshooting
                          Agreed. Shift at a 2-3mph roll in D, that fails try the same speed in N. That fails, start trouble shooting.

Comment

Since I'm new, I'll go ahead and ask:

Are there any recurring issues with these trucks I should watch out for? Mine a 5.4 4wd extended cab lt. Everything I've read has said these trucks are bullet proof- I'm used to dodges, so it's s kittle new to me.

Comment

if you take care of them they will last a long time. but try what we said first. also consult your owners manuel about the 4 low thing and read it will tell you exactly what to do

also i forgot to ask is your truck a dash switch 4x4 or floor shift 4x4
                              Last edited by OneBaddAssZ71; 12-07-2010, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X