Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF, steering wheel doesn't lock?!

I just noticed this morning that my steering wheel doesn't lock when I put the truck in park and turn it off. Anyone else's truck do this or am I going to the dealer for repair?
    RIP Billy, aka budhayes 3

sigpic

My 2000 Z71 locks. When I helped a buddy put the JPCustoms steering wheel radio controls in his 2000 GMC 2500, we found out his doesn't lock.

Maybe it is another 'cost saving' item from GM :cussing:
    2012 Chevy Volt - Red
    2007 Trailblazer SS - Red Jewel SOLD
    2000 GMC Sierra Z71 SOLD // Michigan Classics // My Garage // My ebay auctions
    Hot Rod Search

Comment

Yup, 2000 was the last year of the locking steering wheels, mine had it though and my 88 Jimmy also does
      2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 RCSB LT1, 2" level kit, 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
      2001 Silverado LS EXT with HD Front Conversion, 35k original miles

Comment

Well, at least I feel better knowing that it is "normal". I thought it was a requirement or something that the steering wheel had to lock as a safety feature?
        RIP Billy, aka budhayes 3

sigpic

Comment

dont think your steering wheel locking would be a "safe" feature, it was a anti theft feature
          2002 Silverado 5.3L 2WD Ext. cab
          15.61@87mph stock
          Amber DRLs, Escalade door handles

Comment

Originally posted by TexK5
            Yup, 2000 was the last year of the locking steering wheels..
            I must've slipped through the cracks

My '01 locks, as well as my brother's '99 and '00 Silverados.

Comment

I think the steering wheel not locking is more safe than it locking because say your truck dies and your still moving, that way you can still steer it off the road without the wheel locking.

-Tim-
              Soon to come: Stockers, paintable 94-98 Chevy 1/2 phantom grill, smoothy bumper,clears, shaved body & gate, CC molded rollpan

"Dude I couldn't get laid in a monkey whorehouse with a sack full of bananas"-Chris

Comment

The steering wheel lock mechanism is mechanical.
                The lock engages when the key is turned to "lock" position only and has nothing to do with wether the vehicle is running or not.
                If your column has a lock that isn't working the most likely cause is the lock PIN is stuck in it's hole.

You can see the PIN engaged in the lock plate here at the 2 o'clock position.

I honestly don't know if they ever stopped making the lock or not but if it used to lock and now it doesn't I reccomend taking it to the dealer because inexperiance playing around with an air bag steering wheel can bury a 3/8" wrench 6" in your brain. :)
                make it better for less with your local junkyard
                "I found JESUS!, If unclaimed for 30 days he's mine for good."

Comment

Info - Deletion of Steering Column/Wheel Locking Feature on Vehicles with Automatic Transmissions #01-02-35-003 - (04/06/2001)
                  Deletion of Steering Column/Wheel Locking Feature on Vehicles With Automatic Transmissions
                  2001 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup (Silverado, Sierra) and Utility (Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Denali, Yukon XL) Models

2002 Cadillac Escalade

Important
                  This bulletin does not apply to vehicles exported to countries that follow E.U. Regulations.

Beginning with the 2001 model year, the steering column or steering wheel locking feature is no longer used on the above described vehicles when equipped with an automatic transmission. In previous model years the feature would lock or prevent the steering column/wheel from being turned when the ignition lock cylinder was in the "LOCK" position.

Please advise any customer that comments on their steering wheel not locking when the ignition lock cylinder is in the "LOCK" position that the feature is no longer used on vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions. As a result, no repair attempts should be made.

Important
                  The locking steering column or steering wheel feature is still used on the above described vehicles when equipped with manual transmissions
                  Stroked, Force fed by the twins, inhaling liquid cooled air & Shootin Meth while pushin a bottle, Maximizing the laughing gas directly, huge head(s) and I am a BS'er
                  GreenThunderRacing.com

Comment

Originally posted by GMSMALLBLOCKGUY
                    The steering wheel lock mechanism is mechanical.
                    The lock engages when the key is turned to "lock" position only and has nothing to do with wether the vehicle is running or not.
                    If your column has a lock that isn't working the most likely cause is the lock PIN is stuck in it's hole.

You can see the PIN engaged in the lock plate here at the 2 o'clock position.

I honestly don't know if they ever stopped making the lock or not but if it used to lock and now it doesn't I reccomend taking it to the dealer because inexperiance playing around with an air bag steering wheel can bury a 3/8" wrench 6" in your brain. :)
                    yeah, the airbag is a dangerous thing, i probably could put that wrench in your brain considering the break arms.
                    body lift. 35" MTZ's on 16-10's GK Bars. 14 bolt SF. Hooker Long tubes, loud exhaust, BlackBear Tune.

Comment

Working...
                    X