If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Remote Start on a 6.6 Duramax?

This is a discussion on Remote Start on a 6.6 Duramax? within the Audio/Video Electronics forums, part of the General Discussion category; I just purchased a 2004 GMC Duramax and was wondering if I can use a remote start and witch it ...

Remote Start on a 6.6 Duramax?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I just purchased a 2004 GMC Duramax and was wondering if I can use a remote start and witch it the best. I don't want to cut into the harness if I don't have to. Most dealer will void the warrenty.

Re: Remote Start on a 6.6 Duramax?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtyme1
    I just purchased a 2004 GMC Duramax and was wondering if I can use a remote start and witch it the best. I don't want to cut into the harness if I don't have to. Most dealer will void the warrenty.
    Go with a Compustar if you got the money! Best features, longest range, easiest install. I believe on the 04's you can install them with very minimal cutting of the harness, but the dealer has to prove the alarm caused the malfunction before they can deny warranty!

To mod, or not to mod, there really is no question!

I absolutely HATE compustar alarms. They are the biggest pain to install and always malfunction. I have been installing for years, and these are the most prone for problems. 35% of these alarms have to have the remotes reprogrammed every few months. For some reason they decide to quit working. I like to stick with any DEI alarm (viper, clifford, python, sidewinder). The build quality is much better, and you can easily get parts and service if you need it. As I always say though, 90% of the alarm quality is in the install. Take it to a shop with a good track record.

Logan

I am a DEI fan as well, no experience with compustar. Autopage makes a nice budget unit. You are gonna have to cut some, dealer cannot void your warranty unless the unit causes the problem, period.
    2011 Silverado 1500 4x4 Crew Cab LT
    17" Dale Jr Series Chrome Wheels

Monitoring the Hate! Diesel Dually's Avatar

Viper in my '02 Duramax, I am very happy with it.

Look at any of the DEI stuff as stated above, but also look @ Astrostart. You can learn more about it on http://dieselplace.com Max Power (his user name) deals in them, and if I was closer to Canada or to an Astrostart Dealer, I might have gotten one of those.
    Never forget Box 55-8087 9/11/01. Rest easy brothers, we'll take it from here!

Quote Originally Posted by ibthumpin
    Together, we can defeat anorexia!!

Astro start all the way. One wire hooks up the door locks among other things using the serial data....very easy install, very good product overall. I got the 2205 cuz i didn't want an alarm. It has a 2 way remote so there's little leds on the fob showing you if your truck is running, or if the doors are locked or unlocked.....it also vibrates for those lonely nights.
    Talk to Tony (Max Power) from diesel place.
    I'll PM you his number.
    -mike
    2005 Chevy Duramax

X3

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.

your going to need moduls and security bypasses to do it correctly. Id recomend python 881xp or 581 xp, or something from the viper line

so far it looks like I'm going with the astrostart, my biggest concern now is Astrostart will not stand behind there product if I install it my self. Now Tony has offered his full support and is willing to help me install it, Via Phone or net.Tony seems like a great guy and astrostart seems to be the best on the market, at least what I'm getting from two forum sights.

I was gonna put one on mine, but we've had a super mild winter here and I didn't get around to it. Tony also gave me a ton of advice and I actually found a local installer that sells them, and Tony gave me some questions to ask them to make sure they would do it right. Eventually one will make it's way onto my truck.
    2004.5 Chevy CCSB D/A LLY

Tuff Country Suspension, Toyo MT's, Exhaust, EFI Live, Danville 64mm VVT, Kennedy Pumps, SunCoast IV, some Mike L. tranny stuff, some color matching, lots of other junk.

You can't go wrong with any piece from DEI,and as far as the compustar being junk.I have to disagree 100%.I have been an installer for 7 years and had nothing but problems with all of the brands we tried previously,including Autostart.We switched to compustar last winter and have a 5% comeback rate. Most people have problems with compustar because you can change almost every user function through the remote.

if you have a problem with the wait to start for the bulb check, you will have to purchase the pulse timer relay, there normally like 20 buck well atleast around me. I would also say go with DEI they seem to have some great product! I have installed a ton of them and there pretty sweet..

By the way!! they cannot void your warranty... I pretty sure it called the Magnus and moss act, somethign to do with them voiding warranties or at leats trying.. i got a sheet somewhere!!

o-mega max-e remote start are really good systems. I have installed these for about 3years now. installer friendly. you will also need a door lock bypass part# db-dlm-3 and remote start bypass part# pass-23 from O-mega. deisel wait to start in programming. 15 sec delay.

I have the Clifford Responder for my 03 duramax. I love it. Mine supposedly works from 1/4 mile away or something like that. They just came out with one that almost doubles that. Pretty sweet little unit. It has an LCD screen that shows if the vehicle is running, or what zone triggered an alarm. DEI units are all pretty much the same as far as far as Viper, Python and Cliffor are concerned.

you can always ask me questions on chevy vehicles for autostart info.. i've installed hundreds of autostarts into chevy vehicles.

pm me, or email at gscampbell @gmail.com
    04 Silverado, 4x4 LT - McGaughy, American Racing, Flowmaster, Vararam, T-Rex, Arctic Sprayliner, Pioneer, Icon-TV, Critical Mass.