If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Factory Amp Bypass? (2001 Tahoe Non Bose)

This is a discussion on Factory Amp Bypass? (2001 Tahoe Non Bose) within the Audio/Video Electronics forums, part of the General Discussion category; I recently put a JL Audio 12W0 and an amp in my wife's Tahoe along with a Pioneer deck. I ...

Factory Amp Bypass? (2001 Tahoe Non Bose)

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I recently put a JL Audio 12W0 and an amp in my wife's Tahoe along with a Pioneer deck. I have heard that the factory amp in these things cuts bass out of the door speakers and that there is a harness I could purchase to bypass the amp. True? If anyone knows anything about this, or knows where I could get one, let me know! Thanks!
    Mauro
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB
    2001 Chevrolet 2WD Tahoe LS

Re: Factory Amp Bypass? (2001 Tahoe Non Bose)

Quote Originally Posted by Mauro
    I recently put a JL Audio 12W0 and an amp in my wife's Tahoe along with a Pioneer deck. I have heard that the factory amp in these things cuts bass out of the door speakers and that there is a harness I could purchase to bypass the amp. True? If anyone knows anything about this, or knows where I could get one, let me know! Thanks!
    www.davidnavone.com
    **My Little Roots Rocka**

Poor college student Exalted512's Avatar

do you have the bose system?
    -Cody
    04 GMC
    system in the works:
    Pioneer DEH-940MP, RF T8002 on Peerless XLS 8" midbasses, RF T8004 on DLS Iridium 3" midrange and tweeter, RF T40001 on 2 Adire Brahma 12s, RF 360.2 processor

Quote Originally Posted by Exalted512
    do you have the bose system?
    -Cody
    Judging from the title of the thread, I'd say no.

The amp is built into the H/U on a non-Bose, you can't bypass it with a harness.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Judging from the title of the thread, I'd say no.
    Hey dont hold it against him...he's from Texas
    **My Little Roots Rocka**

Quote Originally Posted by DSZ71
    Hey dont hold it against him...he's from Texas
    :LOL:

Poor college student Exalted512's Avatar

haha...i just read factory amp bypass.

I've never heard of the factory amp cutting out bass on a non-bose system...Besides, if you have a sub, why would you need bass out of the full range speakers? It'll just reduce their power handling and increase chance of distortion
    -Cody
    04 GMC
    system in the works:
    Pioneer DEH-940MP, RF T8002 on Peerless XLS 8" midbasses, RF T8004 on DLS Iridium 3" midrange and tweeter, RF T40001 on 2 Adire Brahma 12s, RF 360.2 processor

Quote Originally Posted by Exalted512
    haha...i just read factory amp bypass.

I've never heard of the factory amp cutting out bass on a non-bose system...Besides, if you have a sub, why would you need bass out of the full range speakers? It'll just reduce their power handling and increase chance of distortion
    -Cody
    I suspect you are using a line-converter, Running the sub off of the factory speaker outputs, which means that if the headunit cuts bass, he loses bass to the sub. The only way to overcome this is to not turn the head unit up to the point that it cuts the bass, but unfortunately your mids/highs will not keep up with your sub at these low volumes. The solution to that is to install an amp on your mids/highs, but your stock speakers will probably not like being amplified too much. An equalizer would allow you to boost the low frequencies at high volumes, but at the risk of hurting your factory speakers over time. There is no "best" solution to this problem, except to put in an aftermarket deck so that you have true full range output to the amplifier and let the crossover handle the frequency response.

To mod, or not to mod, there really is no question!

Well, from my research on the net, I have discovered that the amp is in fact in the factory radio, but on the Tahoe's and Suburban's Non-Bose but with the factory sub in the rear, the amplified signal is sent to a crossover located behind the glove box. Since I installed a Pioneer deck which has an adjustable high pass crossover, I want to bypass the factory crossover. I actually found a thread on Z71Tahoe-Suburban.com with a way to do this.

Link To Thread

But thanks for all the suggestions guys
    Mauro
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB
    2001 Chevrolet 2WD Tahoe LS