GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

subs ported from bed to cab

This is a discussion on subs ported from bed to cab within the Audio/Video Electronics forums, part of the General Discussion category; Ok guys I need help with this one. I want to build a stupid loud system, dont know why just ...

Lightbulb subs ported from bed to cab

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Ok guys I need help with this one. I want to build a stupid loud system, dont know why just do. I have a 98 regular cab 2wd short bed. I want to port from the bed into the cab. Does anyone have any pics or plans for a box for this. Im kicking around some ideas for the sub set up maybe a pair of 13 1/2 JL W7's or a nice set of SOLO-X's. Right now I have a pair of 12" 2005 Kicker Comp VR's pushed by a Audiobahn A8002T amp. There behind the seat right now and the problem is im 6'5 and there cutting into my leg room. So any ideas would be great. thank you
    98 RCSWB 5.7L, K&N FIPK, Shorty headers, Dual flowmaster 40's, custom tune, 3"-4" drop

parrot on the bandwagon 95stroked1500's Avatar

Re: subs ported from bed to cab

so what do you want? ported box with a cut through or a bandpass and just have a huge port blowing in?

if you cut, make it worth your while. try a couple 15 L7's or 18 solo X's over JL.

I was thinking a port blowing in, But I dont know what is better. What do you guys think?
    98 RCSWB 5.7L, K&N FIPK, Shorty headers, Dual flowmaster 40's, custom tune, 3"-4" drop

i'd cut the whole back and do 2 subs ported. that way you'll have all the boom with the additional hit of the subs right in your back.

Go with a cut-through. There's a Ranger around here with 2 12"s ported through, and it doesn't sound nearly as good as the S10 with the cut-through running about the same setup. It's a matter of preference, I guess. I prefer to be able to see the subs from the cab. I concur on the dual 15's.
    '99 Tahoe - Whitey
    '03 Tahoe - Blackey

thanks guys. is there anything I nned to be careful of or watch out for whille im doing this

Yes! The bump out into the cab of the truck must be maintained! This is an actual structural peice of the truck. Other than that, you should be able to go from the floor up to that line, as I recall.
    '99 Tahoe - Whitey
    '03 Tahoe - Blackey

you can cut the ledge, but i'd re-enforce if you do. nothing else to watch out for. hit up x6369x for pics of a cut through he did. i doubt you want to copy my cut style.

here's a question. What do you do with the space inbetween the cab and bed? that 2-3 inches of gap..
    My v8 sDime - car domain s10

I was also intreasted in doing this to my truck. Does anyone have any pics of the process for making the complete cut-out versus just the port. and what is the diff. in sound.

accordian boot and then a cosmetic trim on the inside.

where can I get it.. That's kinda what I figured.. kind of like you see on certain types of semis. Also like yours what did you do to get the subs right on the rear panel. Got any pictures of the process?

Links to where you got yours also would be appreciated.
    Last edited by aqrhine; 06-16-2006 at 02:33 PM.

i've got the link to the accordian boot on my home computer. i'll post it tonight.

not really any pics of the process, but some pics in my gallery. this style is much more involved than the cut and boot. i cut the cab, made a re-enforcement frame, and mounted the box to the cab. the rear panel you see, is the face of the box. the box has about 1" clearance all around it where it is in the bed space. so it doesn't get touched with bed/ frame flex.

links to where i got myself? lol, i'm sure that is a typo or i'm just not understanding what you mean.

what subs and amp set up do you have? Do you know what db's your hitting. What did you use to mount it to the cab?

for the accordian boot...

http://papeenterprises.mediatunes.com/

don't pay attention to the other "flapper" seal thing.

i think we need a sticky on cut throughs. pics and how to's.

Quote Originally Posted by bkoenke
    what subs and amp set up do you have? Do you know what db's your hitting. What did you use to mount it to the cab?

2 treo ssx 15's, did 151 on the TL @ 41hz, on the dash, windows up, with 9.6kw (4 autotek mx5000's). but it's all out. i had a problem with trying to daily it and my ears bleeding. so i'm working on something more sq and still decent thump right now, keeping the cut through of course.

i used a 1/4" thick plate on the outside with a rectangle hole cut out of it, and 1/4" thick flat bar inside the cab. i "sandwhiched" the cab between them. i have more rear cab strength now, than when it was stock.
    Last edited by 95stroked1500; 06-16-2006 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aqrhine
    Links to where you got yours also would be appreciated.
    ok, i understand that now that you edited.

i did it myself. long write up on all the "how to's". i'm going to pm tribal, if he's still around, and see if we can't do a sticky on cut throughs. then i will write the full report on what all i did. and i'll get ahold of x6369x and have him put in his pics and story on the boot style he did.

Here's a few pics of a cut through we did a few years back (with shell)...

48 subs

32 amps

Some brief information on the system. There is a total of 48 10" Subwoofers, 32 amplifiers, 8 rear batteries, 2 15farad capacitors, hundreds of feet of 0, 4 and 8 gauge power/ground wire, and lotso speaker wire.

For Sound Quality mode, a 6.5 component set is used in the custom fiberglass kicks, and an 8" subwoofer (which hits amazingly well and low) is in another custom enclosure inside the center console.

For SPL mode, each bank of 12 subs can be turned on individually. For "Show mode", we can also turn on the front and rear door 6.5 component sets as well.

The truck won the SPL competition at the Sony Dealer Competition, hitting an even 162db legal. Oh, it also won "Best use of the Explod Logo" as well. For the X on the 1" plexiglass, and the center caps on the wheels. :)
    Last edited by MikeN; 06-16-2006 at 09:01 PM.

SoapFX - Professional Hand Cleaner

how do you say... HOLY ****ING ****!! I don't even know how to express my feelings towards that system. 48 10's are you frickin kidding me!!

there sure is a massive amount of crap packed in that truck.

the install came out nice. cut through with a shell, why didn't you just use a burban or hoe instead?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast