If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Radio removal on 2001 2500HD

This is a discussion on Radio removal on 2001 2500HD within the Audio/Video Electronics forums, part of the General Discussion category; I can get the face plate off the dash, now before I destroy something due to lack of knowledge about ...

Radio removal on 2001 2500HD

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I can get the face plate off the dash, now before I destroy something due to lack of knowledge about this assembly, how does one remove the OEM radio? I am looking for the AUX input...is there a breakout somewhere under the dash or do I have to yank the radio to access it?

Thanks!

wordman
    Last edited by wordman; 01-31-2007 at 04:16 PM. Reason: forgot to subscribe

Poor college student Exalted512's Avatar

Re: Radio removal on 2001 2500HD

all you have to do is press down the tabs and pull. Sometimes it will give you a little resistance at first, just pull a little harder and itll slide out.
    -Cody
    04 GMC
    system in the works:
    Pioneer DEH-940MP, RF T8002 on Peerless XLS 8" midbasses, RF T8004 on DLS Iridium 3" midrange and tweeter, RF T40001 on 2 Adire Brahma 12s, RF 360.2 processor

Cody...thanks. The tabs you mention I think I toyed with over the weekend, but they seemed not to move. I'll try again.

Now, perhaps all I need to do is find the breakout terminals for the AUX input...is there such a thing, and where would I find it? You know, if I was going to add a CD changer, etc., where would one plug it in? And is removing the radio necessary to do so?

Many huge thanks.

Cheers,

Wordman

I havent added an auxiliary anything to a factory radio other than FM modulated, so i have no clue. But i highly doubt its anywhere other than the back of your radio.

As far as removal goes, to get technical:
    1. Push one of the tabs down and pull that side out a little. It should release it just a little.
    2. Repeat with other side.
    3. It should come out at least an inch or so before you get any resistance. Some trucks will give you that resistance, others wont, dunno why. All it is is the factory wiring is tucked behind the dash, so just pull a little harder and itll slide out. Ive done a couple hundred radio installs in those trucks and never had a problem with cutting wires or breaking anything by pulling it a little harder.
    -Cody
    04 GMC
    system in the works:
    Pioneer DEH-940MP, RF T8002 on Peerless XLS 8" midbasses, RF T8004 on DLS Iridium 3" midrange and tweeter, RF T40001 on 2 Adire Brahma 12s, RF 360.2 processor

Cody...I'll give it a rip. Let ya know how it works. Since you have plenty of experience here, what radios might ye recommend a swaps?

Cheers,

wordman

Im a big fan of Pioneer, BUT unless youre going for the ultimate in sound quality, its really personal preference.

Any good name brand will work, just stay away from your duals and phase linears and crap like that. Alpine, eclipse, pioneer, jvc, kenwood, clarion...all make excellent radios. I say pick the one that you like the looks of best. I have to say, Pioneer does seem to have one of the easiest interfaces.

Their new models coming out this year are all iPod ready to where you just have to buy a cheap cable and everything will go through your radio and i believe it will even charge it.
    -Cody
    04 GMC
    system in the works:

Cody...TO be certain, you are speaking of the OEM radio/CD player, correct? I just realized I mentioned the radio, but was unsure if there were radios sans CD player. I ask because the EM radio is much 'thicker' than a regular radio, and was wondering if the models you recommended had that same massive case size or if they use a blockoff plate or large fascia plate?

The Stock Radio is a 1.5 DIN unit... Most After market are a 1 or Single DIN unit... The reason I say most is because there are a few 1.5 DIN units out there but very very few... For a Single DIN unit to fit you would need a Trim/Mounting kit that will fill in those gaps around the radio...

By Auxiliary Input Im guessing you bought an adapter that will give you Inputs using the CD changer port on the stock delco right? In that case, it will be behind the radio... Opposite of the antenna...

Hope This helps...
    Last edited by chevydudesixty9; 02-01-2007 at 09:00 AM.
    Jerry-

Chevydude...Thanks for the clarification. Well, here's the deal: One of the buttons on my OEM radio reads CD and AUX. I am assuming that the AUX function of this button is to trigger an auxiliary input channel. So, does the OEM radio have this input, or do I need some adaptor as you mention? I really don't want to spend money on a new radio at the moment, I just want to hard-wire my XM receiver.
    Last edited by wordman; 02-01-2007 at 09:05 AM.

How are you going to hard wire your XM receiver ? Is it the Roady XT ? I am about to do this and am curious.

CT
    Not only would CT destroy his soul with demeaning and hurtful words in concise sentences, he'd sick a goddamn badger on him, then post about it on FSC.
    My build thread here:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/showthr...til-complete**

I have the SkyFi2 car kit. On the cradle it has a 'line out' jack, at home I use this to go into my stereo. All I need to know is if the OEM radio has an AUX input (there's a button on the thing that says AUX) and then I'll use a cable to go from the receiver into the AUX input. Thus, no more FM radio signals overriding my XM tunes when I'm knee-deep in a techno groove.

On the back of the radio there will be a thin and long 9PIN connector... Shown in the pick on the Right... You need an adapter which will turn that 9PIN connector to RCA inputs... The adapter is controlled by the AUX button on your radio...

Pic... 9PIN connector on the right...

The Adapter you need...
    http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=gm9-aux
    Last edited by chevydudesixty9; 02-01-2007 at 06:38 PM.
    Jerry-