If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

OnStar - Conversion to Digital and adding to a vehicle

This is a discussion on OnStar - Conversion to Digital and adding to a vehicle within the Audio/Video Electronics forums, part of the General Discussion category; Two questions.... One for my brother-in-law's 2002 Silverado 2500... He has OnStar. I have read there is a conversion kit ...

OnStar - Conversion to Digital and adding to a vehicle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Two questions.... One for my brother-in-law's 2002 Silverado 2500... He has OnStar. I have read there is a conversion kit for the analog OnStar to convert it to digital. Anyone know a part #, how much, and if it can be installed DIY or does it have to be done by the dealer...

Second question - for my 04 ECSB... Can you add OnStar to a vehicle that doesn't have it?
    NeonHomer

2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 2WD Ext. Cab 5.3L/4spd
    1994 Dodge Caravan 3.0L/4spd
    2004 Harley-Davidson Road King Police FLHP/I

Re: OnStar - Conversion to Digital and adding to a vehicle

OnStar is a great feature, and I've heard the same question about adding OnStar to vehicles not equiped from the factory. My friend is a Parts Manager, and he has contacted OnStar representatives, and there are shops that can do work on your current OnStar equipment, but you cannot install it on any vehicle other than already equipped.

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp...get_onstar.jsp

Find a new or pre-owned car, truck, or SUV available with OnStar offering the safety, security, and convenience features that are right for you.
    Q. Why can't any vehicle have OnStar installed?
    A. Currently, OnStar is exclusively factory-installed on select vehicles. By the end of 2007, OnStar will be standard on GM trucks and cars sold in the United States and Canada. See our extensive list of vehicles available with OnStar.
    Q7. Will a digital upgrade program be available for subscribers with earlier versions of OnStar equipment?
    A7. Each vehicle manufacturer will determine whether it will offer an analog-to-digital transition plan for subscribers who have analog/digital-ready OnStar equipment and are interested in upgrading to digital equipment. To learn more, click here.
    http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp...iew=tech_equip
    Last edited by heartbeatz71; 12-22-2007 at 07:11 PM.

Well, I guess I have to live with poor-man's OnStar..... NEXTEL!
    NeonHomer

2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 2WD Ext. Cab 5.3L/4spd
    1994 Dodge Caravan 3.0L/4spd
    2004 Harley-Davidson Road King Police FLHP/I

Registered User chevytruckinman's Avatar

So, I called GM about this conversion is there a way to get a module from another vehicle and have it programmed to work and save some money. This is total B.S. that they can rape you for their system. I do like it though. Anyone have any idea?
    Treat life like a dog, If you can't eat it or hump it...just piss on it and forget it!

RIDES:

2003 Ford Mustang Cobra Mild Mods
    2005 Honda CBR 600RR
    2003 Honda Rincon 650 4x4
    1995 Four Winns 19.5 Bowrider
    2004 Dodge Stratus
    2003 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 ECSB LT 4X4