If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

add sub to factory location - yukon

This is a discussion on add sub to factory location - yukon within the Audio/Video Electronics forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a '05 Yukon Denali with the factory system entact - 6 disc changer, XM, Onstar, DVD and Bose ...

add sub to factory location - yukon

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a '05 Yukon Denali with the factory system entact - 6 disc changer, XM, Onstar, DVD and Bose speakers, but NO sub in the left rear panel, just a fake grill molded into the panel. I want more bass, but no need for earth shaking... I want to keep the factory system intact and add an amp and sub. I planned on doing something like this guy did to his Tahoe... http://www.geocities.com/cjgable/Tahoe.html Stock box with new sub and amp, but how do I tie into the stock system to get a signal for the amp? Anyone with this experience?
    Last edited by 73Custom; 01-17-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Car Audio Junkie Since 83 djracer's Avatar

Re: add sub to factory location - yukon

If your Denali doesn't have a sub in the rear it may be in the console like the trucks. Open the passenger front door and reach behind the console and see if you feel a grill. the trucks have a 6.5 fired towards the firewall. Check to see if you have this sub if you do let me know and I can help with the rest!
    Kevin Tolliver
    67 SWB Drag Truck Best 1/8 5.78 Best 1/4 9.16
    02 2500hd CCSB 4x4
    Car Stereo Guy
    Mobile Disc Jockey
    Drag Racer

It feels like there is a speaker grill in there. I can feel some vibration with stereo loud, but not much...

I have the bass on max and it's still barely noticeable when driving, whats the best way to improve this? Replace the sub in the console with a better one? Or just disconnect it and put one in the rear panel? I can't take up any cargo space with subs, so it needs to be in the console or rear panel. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by 73Custom; 01-18-2008 at 08:23 PM.

I wouldn't put one in the console on that truck but I would unhook the factory sub and add the line output converter to the sub wires then I would try to do a single 10 in the rear side panel.
    Kevin Tolliver
    02 2500hd CCSB 4x4
    Car Stereo Guy
    Mobile Disc Jockey
    Drag Racer

The OEM box I was looking at holds an 8" sub, can it be modified to house a 10 or is there another option or would a decent 8 be enough? Would I really notice the difference between a 8 and 10?

Where would I get a line output converter and how do I know which one I need?

Please excuse my ignorance, I've done some simple stereo work in the past (cd player installs, speaker replacement) but no amp or sub experience. This is new ground for me... I want to learn as much as I can before I jump in, and I'd like to keep it as simple and reasonably priced as I can. Like I said before, I'm not looking for a huge thump, just a healthy bass added to what I already have... Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

hard to tell if the guy on the link you posted had to do anything in regards to the fuel filler neck. some trucks have it boxed off back there and the grille for the sub actually isnt centered.

imo, the center console box is a better choice as it will help bring the bass upfront and allow it to blend better with the bose setup. you would lose any rear venting through the console tho.

I've got a perfect solution for you. Get a Kenwood 150w powered sub and put it under the rear seat. They're not mighty but I hear they work very well as supplementals. I got one for my burb but haven't installed it yet. It will work off a pre-out if you have it or you can simply run a lead from the speakers to it, plus the power line to power it (from beneath the dash under the console to the rear seat). HTH
    2001 K1500 4x4 Suburban LS

KWHITELAW - Are you suggesting using the factory console box with a better speaker mounted in it?

sub318 - Would under seat sub still let the seats fold down flat? I flip the seats down quite often for cargo and kids.

Does anyone know if the rear factory box lines up with the grill in the plastic trim panel?

Thanks for the help guys...

Quote Originally Posted by 73Custom
    KWHITELAW - Are you suggesting using the factory console box with a better speaker mounted in it?

sub318 - Would under seat sub still let the seats fold down flat? I flip the seats down quite often for cargo and kids.

Does anyone know if the rear factory box lines up with the grill in the plastic trim panel?

Thanks for the help guys...
    YES..and they're about $120 on e-bay
    Last edited by sub318; 01-19-2008 at 10:14 AM.
    2001 K1500 4x4 Suburban LS

I would use a pac sni35 Loc and if you remove the back of the console you can get to the wires for the sub. If you look down the first page of this post you can see where we tied in the Loc's we used two because we amplfied all the speakers. The one on the passengers side is where you will need to tie in.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...g-cab-nbs.html
    Kevin Tolliver
    02 2500hd CCSB 4x4
    Car Stereo Guy
    Mobile Disc Jockey
    Drag Racer

djracer - Thanks for the pic link - pics always help. Wow what an install! That's a massive project - very impressive workmanship...

What speaker and amp are you suggesting for the rear panel? You suggested a 10, how would I mount that in the stock 8 box? Or would I be better off buying or making a new one to fit a 10? Thanks for the help.

djracer - Thanks for the pic link - pics always help. Wow what an install! That's a massive project - very impressive workmanship...

What speaker and amp are you suggesting for the rear panel? You suggested a 10, how would I mount that in the stock 8 box? Or would I be better off buying or making a new one to fit a 10? Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the props on the cut bed install. I would build a box in the factory location I like the bostwick hdx 10 sub and a decent 200 to 300watt amp. The amp I chose would depend on your budget!
    Kevin Tolliver
    02 2500hd CCSB 4x4
    Car Stereo Guy
    Mobile Disc Jockey
    Drag Racer

yes, assuming you are okay losing any functionality of the rear air vents on the console, if your truck has them.

no loss of space. excellent sound imo, provided you dont want to knock the block.

Quote Originally Posted by KWHITELAW
    yes, assuming you are okay losing any functionality of the rear air vents on the console, if your truck has them.

no loss of space. excellent sound imo, provided you dont want to knock the block.

He has the factory sub in the console and a bose amp in the console. I doubt anyone makes a sub for that console setup. I'm sure you aren't talking about upgrading the factory 6.5 sub.
    Kevin Tolliver
    02 2500hd CCSB 4x4
    Car Stereo Guy
    Mobile Disc Jockey
    Drag Racer

Quote Originally Posted by djracer
    He has the factory sub in the console and a bose amp in the console. I doubt anyone makes a sub for that console setup. I'm sure you aren't talking about upgrading the factory 6.5 sub.
    good call. the yukon denali is the one truck that doesnt fit the stealthbox. regular yukon is fine tho.

thats a bummer.

Anyone know the wire colors at the factory amp that I'll need to be tapping into for the output converter? How can I find this out?

is a sub the only thing you are adding! If you take the back off the console that is the best place to get to the wires. the sub is dual voice coil and the pairs going to each coil are twisted.

their is a pic in this thread!

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...g-cab-nbs.html
    Kevin Tolliver
    02 2500hd CCSB 4x4
    Car Stereo Guy
    Mobile Disc Jockey
    Drag Racer

Thanks for your help. I'm intending to add a single sub and amp. I'm just wanting a little more bass - don't want it to pound the neighbors... For simplicity sake (this is my first sub/amp experience) I'm leaning towards using a factory sub box in the rear panel and a Rockford 8" from the local audio shop - but haven't decided yet...