If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

How to hook up two amps?

This is a discussion on How to hook up two amps? within the Audio/Video Electronics forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey guys, i'm new to car audio, and I am wanting to install 2 6.5" door speakers in my 96 ...

How to hook up two amps?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey guys, i'm new to car audio, and I am wanting to install 2 6.5" door speakers in my 96 swb sierra. I already have a crappy 200 watt amp and 10" sub. From what I have read and figured out, it is best to leave that the way it is and buy a new amp to power the speakers. So....my question is, what is the best way to wire the new amp up to my headset?

Thanks

Poor college student Exalted512's Avatar

Re: How to hook up two amps?

It depends on the size of the wire and the size of the amp really.

You can run 2 separate power wires, or, if the power wire you have now is big enough, you can use a distribution block to split the power wire to your 2 amps. You will need to run a new RCA either way.

-Cody
    04 GMC
    system in the works:
    Pioneer DEH-940MP, RF T8002 on Peerless XLS 8" midbasses, RF T8004 on DLS Iridium 3" midrange and tweeter, RF T40001 on 2 Adire Brahma 12s, RF 360.2 processor

Quote Originally Posted by Exalted512
    It depends on the size of the wire and the size of the amp really.

You can run 2 separate power wires, or, if the power wire you have now is big enough, you can use a distribution block to split the power wire to your 2 amps. You will need to run a new RCA either way.

-Cody

alright...I am probably just going to run 2 seperate power wires. But for the RCA, I already have one running to the head and thats all I can plug into it. So....how would I go about having 2 different ones? Is it just as simple as getting a splitter that branches the wire off 2 ways?

Btw thanks for the advice.

Well, in that case, some amps have inputs and outputs for RCAs. You could just run another RCA from the output side of one amp to the input side of the other.
    -Cody
    04 GMC
    system in the works:
    Pioneer DEH-940MP, RF T8002 on Peerless XLS 8" midbasses, RF T8004 on DLS Iridium 3" midrange and tweeter, RF T40001 on 2 Adire Brahma 12s, RF 360.2 processor

If you only have 1 set of preouts, just look into getting a cheap Y splitter from radioshack or something. Shouldn't cost more then a few bucks.

Or as Exalt said, daisy chain the amps. That is assuming your amps have a passthrough connection.
    Last edited by dyabolical; 08-10-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Alright thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate it. I feel like a dumbass but but how do you take off the door panels? I had a quick look today, but I couldn't get them off without breaking something.

Take out the 2 screws in the arm rest, pop off the panel for your door lock/window switches (if you have them). If you have a window crank, you will have to push the door panel back where the crank is until you see the silver horse shoe pin behind the crank (on the crank), push it off with a knife or something similar. (be careful, that sucker flies and is easy to lose).

After that, take off the sail panel, start with the top and pull out, its held in by a plastic clip.

The same plastic clip holds in the entire door panel. Start from the bottom and work your way up. The top of the door panel is lipped over the metal door frame so once the plastic clips are out, lift up.

It will sound like your breaking everything do to the sound of the pins popping out, just be careful, but those doors are pretty damn hard to break.
    -Cody
    04 GMC
    system in the works: