If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

92 Chevy 1500 - Aftermarket Stereo will Not fit???

This is a discussion on 92 Chevy 1500 - Aftermarket Stereo will Not fit??? within the Audio/Video Electronics forums, part of the General Discussion category; I just picked up a kenwood x993 Stereo and got the dash install kit. For the life of me I ...

92 Chevy 1500 - Aftermarket Stereo will Not fit???

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I just picked up a kenwood x993 Stereo and got the dash install kit. For the life of me I cannot get the deck to fit! It sticks out about 1 1/2 - 2". Is there any tricks to getting an aftermarket stereo to fit?

Re: 92 Chevy 1500 - Aftermarket Stereo will Not fit???

Did you get the install kit for the 88-98 chev/gmc, . You need a metra 99-3000 kit, do a google and you'll see the nose piece deal. You can also get a pocket kit to go where the control head was. Also you'll save your self some hassle if you get the wiring harness adapter kit. First stereo I installed was an AM/FM indash 8 track player, next vehicle was a 1964 Ford F100, and I had to cut a hole in the metal dash, cause in 1964, trucks didn't have radios as a factory installed option.
    Last edited by seaeagle2; 04-27-2010 at 03:02 PM.
    "If people concentrated on th really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson 92 K1500, 5.7 with Edelbrock 3502 MPFI, Tri Wye Headers, Air Raid cold air intake, Blood Enterprises custom chip

When I installed mine, there was a small bracket in the way that I had to remove in order to get the stereo to fit in all the way. It was right below the opening for the new stereo if I remember correctly. Good luck.
    1988 K1500 RCSB - Work in Progress

Yeah I have the metra kit and the harness. I seen that metal braket I just didn't think that was what was stopping it. I will take it out and let you guys know how that goes.

Thanks for the replies!

Ok I removed the bracket and it still does not fit. I found out that it is because the rca cables are on the left side of my stereo and they are hitting the duct work. So I think I am screwed now unless I want to cut up the duct work.

Any other suggestions?

RAMZ TRK

Will 90s or elbows not fit?
    2004 GMC Seirra ECSB 4X4 5.3 AUTO
    :fsc:
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    It's always easier to ask forgiveness, than ask permission!

Richard

I just ordered some and should have them either saturday or monday. Hopefully they will solve the problem. Thanks for the tip.

I had the same issue with straight rca plugs, so instead of going about it the right way i reached under the dash and grabbed hold of the rca wire and pulled it down until the plugs are just out of the way enough to slide past the duct. The duct is only in the way about a quarter inch with my Alpine unit. The female RCAs are on the upper left side if facing the front of the unit. Thing is i only had about 3/4 to 1/2 inch to go, you have crap load more. This is why it's good to buy units that have the female ends attached to wire instead of the unit itself for these style trucks. I cant see how elbows are gonna make up a whole 2 inch difference, thats quite alot, you may still end up having to pull down on them a bit to get them under the duct.
    Well anyway good luck to ya with that. Please post your results for others researching this problem, im sure it'd be appreciated
    Last edited by Eismanx; 05-01-2010 at 05:41 PM.

so what happens when you dont have anything plugged into the rcs jacks and the unit still bottoms out with about an inch to go?

i had that problem in my old 92 man...i bought a dash piece pulled the radio out the dash about 2 inches....looked completely normal(trust me, im very meticulous) and it went in just find...still required a slight shove because of rca but never had a problem...ill check and see if i still have one i had two at one point.