GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Factory Bluetooth ? Retro Fit? (09 to 08 Tahoe)

This is a discussion on Factory Bluetooth ? Retro Fit? (09 to 08 Tahoe) within the Audio/Video Electronics forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey, Looking for a bluetooth solution for my 08 tahoe and wondering if i can somehow retrofit the 09 factory ...

Factory Bluetooth ? Retro Fit? (09 to 08 Tahoe)

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey,

Looking for a bluetooth solution for my 08 tahoe and wondering if i can somehow retrofit the 09 factory setup into my 08.....

OR.....

What is a good aftermarket bluetooth setup

Thanks,

John
    y2k c5 frc
    650 hp brought to you by a procharger.
    08 Tahoe
    (in process of debadging)

Re: Factory Bluetooth ? Retro Fit? (09 to 08 Tahoe)

If you don't use your On-Star, this should work, granted you have On-Star.

www.costartech.com/
    2003 Chevy s-10 ZR2 - Sold
    2002 Chevy Tahoe LS 2wd - Sold
    2007 Chevy Silverado Z71 - no mod's yet

Like the idea of using the factory Onstar mic, but not so sure i like that it disables the onstar funcationality. I do not currently use it - but may in the future (wifes car)....
    Last edited by 99FireTruck; 07-07-2010 at 08:23 AM.

There's no currently known solution to retrofitting Bluetooth capability into the 07/08 model years AND having OnStar fully operational. There has been MUCH research in this field.. A good thread to keep an eye on is here: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...1&hl=bluetooth

There ARE two options for retrofitting BT.

1) Install aftermarket unit: "BlueStar" or "Galaxy", etc.
    2) Install an OEM module (VCIM) from an 09/10 into your 07/08.

Both are plug and play. I don't have experience with the aftermarket solution, as I picked up a new BT VCIM from '09. The install was a piece of cake (30 min), totally plug and play. That said, Both of the options will DISABLE OnStar. With the aftermarket solution, you will never be able to get it back. With the OEM option, you have partial functionality (the "Emergency Call"), and the only reason it doesn't work completely appears to be a programming conflict between OnStar, and your trucks on-board VCIM which has to be programmed at the dealer using a TEch2 device.

There have been steps made forward in this, as you can call OnStar, they can SEE your vehicle but can't transmit/receive from it. The closest someone has gotten is a "Model Year Mismatch" error from OnStar. There has GOT to be a solution, as it appears to be a software issue. But with programming on both ends required.. its trial and error.

It is the coolest feature by far. And way more affordable. I never used my OnStar past my free trial. I purchased the new VCIM for $200US. With OnStar at $19 bucks a month, PLUS having to buy minutes for the OnStar phone. I figure after 10 months of 'free' calling (via bluetooth to my iPhone, using my cellular network).. It will have paid for itself. OnStar Navigation, I never used. I have TomTom built into my iPhone.

I have pictures from the install if anyone wants.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by mc7719; 11-04-2010 at 12:01 PM.

2007 GMC Sierra SLT. 4x4, 5.3L, 3,73
    Abbotsford, BC, Canada