***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

1991 Chevy Silverado Speaker/Stereo Help!!

This is a discussion on 1991 Chevy Silverado Speaker/Stereo Help!! within the Audio/Video Electronics forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 1991 Silverado and I would like to replace the speakers. I know there are two in the ...

1991 Chevy Silverado Speaker/Stereo Help!!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 1991 Silverado and I would like to replace the speakers. I know there are two in the front dash and then two in the pillars behind the seats. How do I go about replacing these? Also I have seen people put them in the doors. . . .HOW!?!? I am a complete nooby and any help would be great. I am also curious on how easy it is the replace that old cassette player for a newer CD/iPod player? If you think there is a better configuration for setting up speakers in this truck just let me know. I am open to anything.

Thanks!,
    Cameron

Cool Re: 1991 Chevy Silverado Speaker/Stereo Help!!

is it a reg cab or extended cab you can put 5 1/4 in the back wall your front speakers are a diff story there 4*6 I would say put a plate 4*6 up there and amp it along with 5 1/4 speakers go with a good pair back there Alpine type R sound great a friend has a pair of them if you don't want to mod your wall it's a 4*6 then I would say use Polk as they make a great 4*6 plate with silk tweets and sense they are going to be so close to you silk is the best way to go as slik produce the softest sound or cleanest sound. you can also get kick panel's for your floor board either in the 5 1/4 or 6 3/4 they'll run you about 140 or so use E-bay to get these as it would save you 50 or so clams sense they are about 200 reg priced. amp your speakers its not a big deal to push them with a little more power than the rated power says but you have to tune them right and also there tiny speakers so they wont go blow 70hz keep them more towards 80hz as it gives off a better sound want bass but a sub or two hopes this help you out. I did the mod to the back wall so I cut it out and every thing else its a bit of work but it will sound a lot better in the end or you could have someone do it for you ie an sound shop but it's $$$$ right there

Re: 1991 Chevy Silverado Speaker/Stereo Help!!

wow thanks! I do have the extended cab. What do u mean by "plates" for the front speakers? Could u post a pic or a url or something? I'm looking to do all this myself preferably so I want something that will sound good but not tooooo fancy. What are kick panels for the floor board?! And I would like to possibly put a sub in there just not sure where to put it as there is not tooo much room. U cut out ur back wall to put a speaker in there?! I'm mainly just looking to replace the speakers that are already in and possibly add a sub. I'm confused on how to work with the back speakers though, as they are placed wierd and awkward. I'm sorry for not being able to keep up with all this but ur help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Cameron

Great a plate is a basic 4inch along with a tweet on a 4/6 metal plate component speaker inbreed Polk has them buy one get second one half off http://www.crutchfield.com/s_107MM46...Size|4X6+Plate also when you get a sub get two in a down ward firing box Polk makes a great shallow sub http://www.crutchfield.com/s_107MM10...and|Polk+Audio again on sale kick panels just look at them http://www.crutchfield.com/g_182850/...ize|6-1%2f2%22 and here is a box that ought to work for you but do u have a tool box as u would need to take out the jake ETC but I'm not sure how old u are but coming from a person that is still youngish one won't be enough for you u go I wonder what two would sound like so here is another link http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Chevy-Ext...SIN=B0049IC7D2 just to give you an idea of what you might want to do.

The kick-plate adapters that Larzs13 linked to make for an easy, bolt-in installation, but are kind of pricey (in my book). If you want to install speakers in your doors, you should remove your door panels and take a look at where you plan on mounting the speakers to make sure you will have enough room. To cut the holes you need a nibbler.http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...sult?q=nibbler

(Larzs13 - nice work on the links - most of the time the guys promoting stereos go 'way overboard. The stuff you linked to appeared to be good quality, but won't break the bank.)
    Last edited by RockLakeYC; 08-06-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Thanks for all the help guys! I am only 16 by the way. For the box on amazon that u listed, does that fit right behind the seats? Because it doesnt look like there is THAT much room back there and there is also a box with a jack in it behind the passengers seats. Am I hooking all these speakers up to an amp? How do I hook up the amp to my current cassette player? So from what I believe I should switch out the front speakers for flat plate speakers (these should be a plug n play kinda deal right?) adding the downward firing box sub and somehow replacing the back speakers and eventually adding speakers to the doors. I am planning on doing this all myself that is why I am making sure everything is right.

That box is down firing and it fits under the sit might loose a tad bit of leg room but that's "not our problem now is it so tell riders to shut up or get in the truck bed that's my motto lol" I started doing audio with my second car and I had someone's help doing it. A basic pro IMO sense he had done it for 8yrs before me. so if u can find someone in ur area that's a audiophile and ask for help in doing it so you can learn the right way b/c if u don't do it the right way it won't sound very good at all no matter how much u put into it.

Alright, thanks so much guys!