GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fallguy's truck

This is a discussion on Fallguy's truck within the Classics forums, part of the General Discussion category; I just got the first season dvd for christmas.Does anybody know the specs on his truck?One sweet gmc truck....

Fallguy's truck

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I just got the first season dvd for christmas.Does anybody know the specs on his truck?One sweet gmc truck.

"Breaking All The Rules!" The Apprentice's Avatar

Re: Fallguy's truck

Funny. I just got this too. Never thought too much about the truck in the shows heyday. I was obsessed with Heather Thomas. Now that I look at the cover I guess it was an integral part of the show. Nice truck.

Heather Thomas > "insert any truck here" !
    1995 GMC Vandura 3500 full size cargo van
    5.7 TBI 4L80E 4wd conversion

This is from wikipedia. I remember growing up watching that show thinking that is the toughest truck in the world!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fall_Guy

Last edited by 81Stepside; 12-16-2007 at 06:22 PM.

1981 Chevy C10 Stepside 250 Inline 6, 3 speed
    1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham LT1
    1984 Chevy Monte Carlo SS TPI 350

That;s funny it doesn't look like 38's on the truck.I thought 35's maybe.How can you have a 4inch lift with 38's?I thought need a 7 inch lift for 38's.

Quote Originally Posted by The Apprentice
    I was obsessed with Heather Thomas.
    Ditto.
    I had this poster on the wall at the foot of my bed...

Bayou Motorsports '86 Silverado '03 Yukon '02 Hayabusa

gosh i forgot all about the fall guy. i thought that truck was awesome as well but as a kid growing up i didn't know the first thing about it suspension wise.

just thought it was cool as heck!
    1998 chevy 2500 4x4 eclb stock (yuck!) no more traction cuz the '06 HD is gone

Supporting Gold Member GreaseDog's Avatar

in some episodes it was an 80 with square headlights, and in others, such as the one pictured and the model kit it was an 81/82. i want to say that it was an 8" lift with 36" tires, but my memory is a little foggy on that one.
    77 Chevy K20 - 80 GMC K2500 (in pieces)
    90 Chevy K3500 - 93 Chevy C2500 (in pieces) - 94 Chevy K1500

On the wikipedia site it says that the truck had a 4inch lift with dick cepek 38's on 16 inch chrome spoke wheels.
    Some times it was a 1980 and others it was a 1981 or newer model.It also says they destroyed 7 trucks on the show until they built a more rugged truck with bigger axles and the motor moved back.They talk about the truck a little bit on the dvd when you watch the making of the fall guy but they never say how big it is.
    My dad used to have a 1979 with a 4inch suspension lift and a 3 inch body lift with 38.5 superswapers and it looked alot bigger than the fallguys's truck.Do you think wikipedia is wrong?It's a sweet truck no doubt about it but i don't think it's running 38's.I think it might be 4 inch lift and 35's or 36's.
    Does anybody have a old magazine article back in the day about it?That would solve the mystery if it was running 38's or not.

"Colts GMC was usually stolen by the bad guys or wrecked in practically every episode. The truck had a 350/V8 motor and auto trans with 4" lift springs. The lower front fender lips on the stunt trucks had to be cut back to clear the bigger tires which were the largest available at airing in late '81; 15 x 36 x 16.5 Dick Cepeks on 9.75 by 16.5"chrome spoke rims. Standard accessories on trucks #1 and #2 were a citizens band radio, big antenna whip on the bed side, chrome rollbar, 6 off road lights (Cibie's and Daylighters),a winch and a push bar with chrome brush guard. The stunt trucks had some or none of the options that #1 and #2 did (and very few had the logo).
    Of course Colt's truck (#1) had a secret compartment in the bed for stashing a bad guy or storing bounty hunting gear.
    The truck pics immediately above and below were of the custom jumper built in '83 by 20th Century Fox. Mechanics Rob Johnson, Don Harback, and the rest of the shop's crew donated over 400 hours of time to build this special stunt truck to reduce the amount of scrapped trucks the show was experiencing. 20th Century Fox wouldn't budget a custom jumper truck idea. Built from many wrecked trucks in the back lot, it was mostly a '79 and had no transfer case, front driveshaft, or front axle shafts (welded in steel rods for added strength) and was essentially a 2 wheel drive. The engine and trans were moved 3 feet back and lowered to sit half in, half below the cab (the air cleaner sat about where the center of the bench seat would be). An aluminum radiator and electric fan were centered over top of the front axle housing. A five gallon fuel cell was added and the rear driveshaft was only about 14 inches long. The lift was 4" Burbank springs/rear blocks with 8 KYB gas shocks, 2 per corner. Both axles were heavily trussed and gussetted with huge bump stops added. The cab floor was re-inforced along with the cab back and a roll cage through-out with down bars extending into the bed. The front windshield was Lexan and stuntman Mickey Gilbert was actually suspended by bungie cords and didn't make contact with the seat on impact. The truck was balanced before every stunt on centered jack stands, then jacks removed from the front and back (balancing was done by adding or subtracting steel plates to a weight box in the bed). Balance and lower weight were critical for a flat, smooth landing. The ended up with atruck that could survive a fall of 14 feet and jump 100 feet at 40 mph and drive back to the shop for another shoot the next day! After this truck was built 20th Century Fox only needed 2 others. One was a close-up truck (#1) and another was a high speed driver for camera shots (#2). At present, I haven't found any info on how many seasons this truck lasted.
    From the hood of Colt's GMC Sierra Grande
    (or sometimes his Sierra Classic). Several '81 thru '86 model 2500 (3/4 ton fleet side) series trucks were used as the "primary" show truck (trucks #1 and #2).
    Universal also went thru numerous '73 to '86 GMC and CHEVROLET 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton "stunt" trucks, both 2 and 4 wheel drive, especially in the first 2 seasons. Even a shortbed 4wd can be seen in the episode "TRAUMA" and in the episodes "DEAD BOUNTY", "THE SAN FRANCISCO CAPER", and "SEMI-CATASTROPHE", you can see several 2wd trucks lifted and completely outfitted - they even have the Stuntman's logo on the hood! FYI - the 2wd's had body lifts and 1 ton coils for the suspension lift.
    Surprisingly, the truck in the 2-hour pilot episode was an 1980 model and didn't have the Stuntman Association logo on the hood. It seems Trucks #1 and #2 didn't have the logo painted and ready in time for production so an extra stunt truck filled in. It was used in many of the opening credits with Jody riding in the bed and is slighty different in color on the side. "

GARAGE:
    03 Yukon
    02 Tahoe "HDHOE"
    09 Malibu
    00 Impala
    94 Z71
    55 Chevy Stepside

HIDDEN COMPARTMENT

This truck was bought at an auction, the new owner lifted it 3 more inches and installed 38's.

GARAGE:
    03 Yukon
    02 Tahoe "HDHOE"
    09 Malibu
    00 Impala
    94 Z71
    55 Chevy Stepside

formerly 44gmcnewf saltwater cowboy's Avatar

I had these 3 on my compute for a while
    i think walmart has the dvd -40-50 bucks its also a x-mas gift for me that i wasnt susposed to see.
    lots of fall guy on you tube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di6QfUsItCg

Last edited by saltwater cowboy; 12-17-2007 at 08:13 AM.
    So, Mike Rowe is selling fords now... Definitely a dirty job.

88 GMC Serria RCLB 33x12.5x15 dayton timberline m/t
    sas and sm465 swap

Well i guess that solves that mystery.Love to see those photos of the guy that bought one of the fallguy trucks and put the 3 inch body and the 38's.
    Has anybody out their no of anybody that has ever had a truck that looked like the fallguy truck?I know people make clones of the general lee.It would be awesome seeing one with 40's or 44's.
    I just noticed one of my toy chevy's that i have is of the fallguy truck.Cool didn't even know i had it.Thanks again for the responese.

Anybody have any more pics of fallguy's truck or of heather thomas?Love to see both.

formerly 44gmcnewf saltwater cowboy's Avatar

would love to get one of these for my collection of dinky's

this one looks bigger then 35's also looks like tsl
    So, Mike Rowe is selling fords now... Definitely a dirty job.

88 GMC Serria RCLB 33x12.5x15 dayton timberline m/t
    sas and sm465 swap

HERE is a link to several pics of Heather Thomas.
    NSFW due to ads on page!

Markie Post was another hottie on the show...

Heather Thomas ruled back in the day!

Wow, forgot all about that show and truck.

96'RCSSB 5.0L Cammed LS1 or 6.0 Coming Later
    03'RCSSB 5.3,3:73's,G80 SOLD!!

nice link! yep, just how i remembered her when i was a young whipper snapper.
    1998 chevy 2500 4x4 eclb stock (yuck!) no more traction cuz the '06 HD is gone

Quote Originally Posted by 44gmcnewf
    would love to get one of these for my collection of dinky's
    i've got one of those, but mine is in nearly unrecognizable condition.
    this one looks bigger then 35's also looks like tsl
    not enough lights, no brush gaurd, no bed side compartment. looks like just another lifted truck off the street somewhere, not to mention the body damage.

Gumbo Monster Mudders, not TSLs

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseDog
    ...looks like just another lifted truck off the street somewhere...
    Or possibly one of the stunt trucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast