GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

87 Fuel Selection Valve Bypass

This is a discussion on 87 Fuel Selection Valve Bypass within the Classics forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey Guys This is my first post, Hope its in the right thread. Anyways. I was going to replace the ...

87 Fuel Selection Valve Bypass

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey Guys

This is my first post, Hope its in the right thread. Anyways. I was going to replace the fuel pump on my aux tank and I went to disconnect the 3 hoses from the selector valve (easier to get to than the top of the tank) and when pulling on one of the hoses the damn plastic on one of the ports for the valve broke. So I am wondering a few things. Right now I plugged the other 2 ports(one on the valve and other was the T-joint near the fuel filter) and there is no leaks when i have it switched to my left tank and the truck runs fine. I was wondering if I could simply run one tank and bypass the selector valve completely. If I did that if the switch were ever change to RH (aux) would it for some reason not still run on the left tank?

The other option would be to replace the selector valve which GM quoted at $200 but can be found online around 100. Unfortunately the tank and the sending unit will probably need to be replaced too. I worked on the left side a while ago and found that the hose connecting the fuel pump to the sending unit deteriorated/ had a hole in it... and now i saw the same problem with the right hand side but this side had not been used in 10yrs and began to collect moisture or something to cause everything to rust..

I know its long winded... any ideas?

Re: 87 Fuel Selection Valve Bypass

Welcome to FSC forums. A lot of knowledgable people on here will help out. I also have an 87 with dual tanks. One thing I have discovered is that the fuel selector valve and fuel tank are 1 year only parts. My passenger tank has a fist sized hole in it, so when I switch the switch, it dies instantly. I need to pull the tank and check the sending unit, I know the pump will be bad, just hoping that the sending unit is OK. Then I can fix the tank, put in a new pump, and then check my fuel selector valve. I have been running 1 tank since I bought the truck, but it gets such lousy fuel economy that i really want that second tank to work.

Thanks for the response Jim, I assume when u say 1 year parts you mean that those parts are specific for that year and model. I would imagine that your selector valve would be fine. I was unfortunate enough to break a port off mine. On the valve however there is a front plate that looks like it will screw off which contains all six ports... if you know where or if that part only is available???

Jim Let me know if you have any questions during your fix process. Good news is that the right side tank is a lot easier to drop and get to than the left. Good luck. Also Chances are that the sending unit is trashed if it looks anything like my did.$$$$

"Shake and bake" kidwithwrench86's Avatar

i never even had a tank on my pass side of my old 87, and as long as i didnt hit the switch, i never had a problem. it was like that from the day i got it, im not sure exactly if it was plugged up, i dont think it was, but i never had a problem out of it leaking at all.

kids with wrenches 4x4 - hopatcong, NJ.
    proud member of the oobs and obs hood wacker clubs

yeah, it runs fine off the left side, im just worried about having an open port on my selector valve. Its not leaking. I tested what would happen if i removed the electrical wires from the selector Valve and to see if it would still run on the left if I don't mess with the switch and it ran fine, but the gas gauge ticked all the way to full. So I am guessing if I remove the selector valve and just connect the supply and return lines from the left to the main lines then I will have to figure out how to wire it up such that the gas gauge will respond correctly. The gauge works when the selector valve is connected.

Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks
    Jason

New to this chevy thing..

my 87 the dude before me dropped the tank and pit bolts in all the lines. then again, my truck is a restorers nighmare......

Yeah I figure that the sending unit is toast also, but I will wait until I get it apart to make the final judgment. Right now I am reinstalling the tranny and transfer case. Complete rebuild with upgraded parts on the 700r4 after a total failure. I have access to the mitchell web site thru my local chevy dealer, and checked the part numbers for all those parts. The best way to get them is to find a 87 in the jy and test them before purchasing them. I intend to take a close look at the differences as I have an 85 tank to compare with. I do a lot of my own wrenching on this truck because I can't afford to pay somebody to work on it. The P.O. of my truck didn't know squat about working on vehicles, and it was very screwed up. I had to replace the steering column before I even drove it. The front end has been rebuilt, I pulled the front clip off, removed the steering box and had a buddy reweld the frame where the P.O. had butchered the repair job. I had less that 1 inch of frame holding that side together under the steering box. It now looks like it was never a problem. The replacement 12 bolt that was in it was junk and I ended up having to replace it. Now I am fighting wiring to get gauges to work properly, I hate the aftermarket gauges that whack you in the shins, and then blow the oil line and spray hot oil all over the interior of the truck. Also I am installing white gauges in the dash and blue LED gauge lighting.

New to this chevy thing..

ya know--i am trying to find a way to put a tank in the bed of my truck..if i do that, i wont need that stupid valve anymore. i might have to get on that. when is your truck going to be ready?