GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Bench Seat Springs

This is a discussion on Bench Seat Springs within the Classics forums, part of the General Discussion category; My bench seat springs on my 51 3100 seem to be very weak on the drivers side. Everywhere else they're ...

Bench Seat Springs

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    My bench seat springs on my 51 3100 seem to be very weak on the drivers side. Everywhere else they're firm. I guess it was either driven alot over the past 60 years or maybe there was a lot of weight on it. The cloth is still in great condition so there is no reason for me to get a new one if i dont have to.

Regardless, I would like to correct the weak springs. Does anyone have any ideas how I can do this?

Where can i get replacement springs (new or used)? Can i bend the old ones back?

Thanks
    '51 Chevrolet 3100

Supporting Member domestictuner's Avatar

Re: Bench Seat Springs

have you looked under the seat cover? its possible they are broken, when i redid the cover on my dad 70 pickup some of the springs were broken on the drivers side, we just tacked them back together and it fixed the weak feeling on that side.

Quote Originally Posted by domestictuner View Post
    have you looked under the seat cover? its possible they are broken, when i redid the cover on my dad 70 pickup some of the springs were broken on the drivers side, we just tacked them back together and it fixed the weak feeling on that side.
    That could be the problem... but please answer this for me... Will i have to take out all of the stuffing to get a good look at the condition of the springs? Will i also have to take off the vinal?

Also, if the springs are broken as they were in your dads bench seat, how did you go about "tacking them back together"?

Thanks
    '51 Chevrolet 3100

Supporting Member domestictuner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kychev View Post
    That could be the problem... but please answer this for me... Will i have to take out all of the stuffing to get a good look at the condition of the springs? Will i also have to take off the vinal?

Also, if the springs are broken as they were in your dads bench seat, how did you go about "tacking them back together"?

Thanks
    we had the vinyl off to recover them but i don't remember if the foam was just sitting on the springs. we welded them back together.

Quote Originally Posted by domestictuner View Post
    we had the vinyl off to recover them but i don't remember if the foam was just sitting on the springs. we welded them back together.
    Is it better for the seat long-term to weld the spring back together or to completely replace the spring?
    '51 Chevrolet 3100