GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

81 k10 swb steering slop. Adjustment?

This is a discussion on 81 k10 swb steering slop. Adjustment? within the Classics forums, part of the General Discussion category; Ok i have a 81 k10 swb, 4x4, 305, powersteering 3" shackle lift. ok so my steering has always had ...

81 k10 swb steering slop. Adjustment?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Ok i have a 81 k10 swb, 4x4, 305, powersteering 3" shackle lift.

ok so my steering has always had alot of slop in almost an inch or so both sides of center, i started checking the steering componets. gear box to frame bolts were loose, one ball joint was shot, fixed both now the only play i can find is in the gear box i know theres an adjuster screw there but has anyone sucsecfully adjusted theres. ive seen peopl try but it go horribly wrong and since there really expensive i thought id give it a try.

Go hug a tree and STFU crazy4offroad's Avatar

Re: 81 k10 swb steering slop. Adjustment?

There is an allen head set screw with a lock nut on top of the steering box, you can take some of the slop out with that. The bottom end of the bolt inside the steering box looks like a V that rides in a groove and can get sloppy. Just be careful and dont get the set screw too tight, once you tighten the lock nut it may overtighten the set screw and be hard to steer. It's best to just turn the set screw very little, tighten the lock nut and test it, steering it lock to lock to make sure it didnt overtighten. Having a helper just wiggle the steering wheel while you look at the pitman arm will help determine if the steering box is reacting as fast as the wheel is being moved. Also you might want to check your rag joint and slip joint for slop before you go adjusting your steering box. And if all else fails maybe you need a front end alignment.

Re: 81 k10 swb steering slop. Adjustment?

did the alignments and all joints are fine had the same problem on a bunch but only tried to adjust the box once and i went to far to fast. didnt help my problem but did make it more pronounced and expensive come to think oin it. are there any good places to pick up a gearbox all parts houses arond me want over $200 for a reman, thought about going to a junk yard but can never find one that looks in good enough shape to pull.