GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Truck stumbles going uphill

This is a discussion on Truck stumbles going uphill within the Classics forums, part of the General Discussion category; For a while now my truck has developed a problem when accelerating uphill. It stumbles, backfires, and lunges. The engine ...

Truck stumbles going uphill

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    For a while now my truck has developed a problem when accelerating uphill. It stumbles, backfires, and lunges. The engine sounds like it bogs down then wants to run fine, then bogs down again. While driving on level ground or even slight inclines I have no trouble whatsoever. I have changed the fuel filter with no luck so I'm thinking it might be the fuel pump but I don't know. It seems to me that either the fuel pump should work or not. Could this be my problem or do you guys think something else maybe? The engine is a 350 with 4bbl 550cfm Edlebrock. Thanks in advance!

"Just going for a drive" rich weyand's Avatar

Re: Truck stumbles going uphill

I'm thinking maybe the float level is off. Found on another forum a guy with similar symptoms. Responder said that you can adjust the float level on the 1400-series all the way to 1/2" (no lower) per Edelbrock. Spec is 7/16". Also found on another forum that the floats can get banged out of adjustment by hitting a bump real hard.

Rich
    Last edited by rich weyand; 04-11-2011 at 12:54 AM.
    1978 K-10 DD
    350 w/Comp 12-300-4, Edelbrock 1406+2601, Hooker headers, H-pipe duals,
    Flowmaster 40s, dual tanks w/dual gauges, heated leather buckets,
    JVC KD-AHD69 head unit, 4xKicker DS400, Lanzar VCTBS8 powered subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by rich weyand View Post
    I'm thinking maybe the float level is off. Found on another forum a guy with similar symptoms. Responder said that you can adjust the float level on the 1400-series all the way to 1/2" (no lower) per Edelbrock. Spec is 7/16". Also found on another forum that the floats can get banged out of adjustment by hitting a bump real hard.

Rich
    Exactly what I was thinking, Rich...float level.

83c20, I`m surprised this is the only problem you are having with the Edelbrock carb.
    1986 K10 Suburban
    350,TBI
    CFM-Tech Super Sucker
    Jet AFPR
    TBI heads
    Comp 12-388-4(260H)cam
    3" Walker quietflow SS exhaust

I took the fuel filter off today and some sediment came out, so I'm guessing I have some gunk in the tank. Put another fuel filter on (clear this time) and she runs like a champ. Guess I'll be flushing it this weekend.

What sort of problems are common with the Edlebrock carb?
    Last edited by 83C20; 04-11-2011 at 07:26 PM.

"Just going for a drive" rich weyand's Avatar

People like to bitch about 'em. Also about Holleys. Also about Qjets. Each has their own choir of supporters to sing their praises and slam everything else.

I have the Edelbrock 1406. It was on the truck when I got it, and I have had no problems with it.

Rich
    1978 K-10 DD
    350 w/Comp 12-300-4, Edelbrock 1406+2601, Hooker headers, H-pipe duals,
    Flowmaster 40s, dual tanks w/dual gauges, heated leather buckets,
    JVC KD-AHD69 head unit, 4xKicker DS400, Lanzar VCTBS8 powered subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by rich weyand View Post
    People like to bitch about 'em. Also about Holleys. Also about Qjets. Each has their own choir of supporters to sing their praises and slam everything else.

I have the Edelbrock 1406. It was on the truck when I got it, and I have had no problems with it.

Rich
    Gotcha. The carb and Edlebrock intake were already in place when I purchased this truck and have had no problems out of it. Guess I'll keep it and stay outta the debate:)